John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Please tell me one good thing digital has given us, piracy, MP-3, better stereo. better artists..? .Fact is that we have spent the last 20 years paddling backwards, maybe the last period of vinyl comeback is a chance to get on the right track again. Cd was in all performance aspects a great u turn that Apart from being a much better source that unfortunately sound artificial and does not fit the system. It did offfer something free from maintenance, adjustments and was free from surface noise.

Last edited:
I think that there was an aspect of unknown expectations and joy back in the days of vinyl for a few reasons besides the sound qualities of vinyl we should all remember. When you went to the record store if you remember those you had all these great album covers to look at and the price compared to a CD was much easier on the wallet. So you went in and found some new music from someone you never heard of before and took that home, looked at the cover, the inside artwork, could read the lyrics without needing a magnifying glass and there was the physical aspects also. You had to get up and put the album on the turntable and set the EQ as every album was so different we actually used tone controls. 22 1/2 minutes later you had to get up and turn that album over, it was just more involving to listen to music.

Now was the music better, no, was it sometimes really good, yes. As far as only looking at noise floor I think that our hearing is better at ignoring that background noise if it is constant and equal in level, it is the clicks and pops and even sometimes the Wow that would make you notice the noise, the momentary distraction is what would ruin the image, take you away from the music when you heard a pop.

So I think in many ways it is an apples to oranges comparison between the two mediums, one is just more involving in certain ways than the other and this distorts the argument about accurate sound.I don't find CD sterile, but I have as most others heard some atrociously recorder CD;s, that is as was said not the media but the material that is flawed.

. better artists..?

You must be kidding here to think that when digital is "right" someone like Muck or Reiner will appear to give yet another spectacular interpretation of Wagner or maybe another Pharaoh Sanders or Coltrain will feel compelled to take advantage of this new technology.

An unfortunate offshoot of making my system better has been the realization that some of my old "Impulse" jazz LP's are actually fairly poor technically, but in the end I don't care.

Last edited:
Please tell me one good thing digital has given us

FAR better capability to make good recordings, and ones that can be perfectly archived. Of course, I have actually bothered to compare my mike feeds to the recordings, both in my days taping and my current use of digital recording. I would never go back to those days of mediocre pitch stability, colored frequency response, and poor dynamics and distortion. If that's the sound that you or someone else prefer, fine. For myself, I prefer altering what comes out of the microphone as little as possible. YMMV.

haven't been in a studio?

I wouldn't want to try to pry modern ADC, Digital Recording and Mastering tools from their hands, tell them they have to go back to '70's era tape for recording, mixing

the gearslutz thread starts off wrong with old "analog has infinite resolution" canard - try looking up Shannon-Hartley "Channel Capacity Theorem" Shannon?Hartley theorem - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

add a couple of data points such as the last US manufactured analog master tape was speced at 85 dB S/N with "0 dB" being the recording level that gave 3% 3rd harmonic distortion from saturation

or that "extended analog bandwidth" only came in later years with narrow gap custom tape heads and servo tracks for precise head alignment and still requires non-standard high tape speed and wasn't typical practice during analog tape audio mastering's heyday - substantial roll off starting below 20 KHz wasn't uncommon (and look up "low end head bump" for the problems at the other frequency extreme)

or that analog tape has scrape/flutter audio frequency "FM" distortion - Plangent Processes

there is little question that current 192k/24 bit ADC with 120 dB S/N and distortion below -110 dB is more accurate than any 70's audio studio's analog recordings

haven't been in a studio?

I wouldn't want to try to pry modern ADC, Digital Recording and Mastering tools from their hands, tell them they have to go back to '70's era tape for recording, mixing

Pointless, they are blind to science. I was on a DSP site yesterday where someone postulated that since FIR filters are designed with a particular sampling frequency in mind they get it "wrong" at the frequencies between bins.

I think that what MiiB is saying is, for all of it's objectively superior technical parameters, digital playback is often less satisfying to hear than is vinyl playback. This is a notion with which I tend to agree. The question which then would follow is, why such a discrepancy? Why would a medium with clearly superior objective performance often prove subjectively inferior to a lesser performing medium? The key word pointing to the answer is, I think, often. Often, digital playback sounds less satisfying, but not always. If just one digital playback system produces sound as, or even more satisfying than vinyl, that proves the medium is capable of doing so. It's like an old saying about photos of UFOs. If even just one photo is genuine, then UFOs exist.

Digital is, indeed, essentially perfect in theory, however, the devil appears in it's practice. The implementation details are the key to unlocking the music that's been jailed for so long on our CDs. The bad news is that important implementation details are usually overlooked in most consumer playback gear. One can tell that without seeing a schematic of such gear simply by their characteristically less than satisfying sound quality.

For those all too few playback units where all of the important implementation details have been properly addressed, one can hear what CD should have sounded like (and what we had expected it to sound like) from the beginning. I suspect that part of the reason it did not was because the robust nature of digital archiving and transmission created the familiar and once wide spread audio industry notion that bits are bits. If musically satisfying implementation were only so simple.

Last edited:
I don't think that CD is equal to the best vinyl even today, CD has too many tradeoffs, BUT advanced Digital playback schemes appear to be capable of more ideal playback fidelity. Let's hope that their playback potential is not compromised by the 'hear no difference' engineers who will not go all out to get the best 'fidelity', because they cannot measure any more differences with their existing test equipment.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
Yes, it's a far better source, on that we can agree 100%, but for the good of the HiFi it has brought us nothing.

So you admit to being an audiophile, the odd sort who listens to equipment rather than music? You should try it the other way around. CD has bought forth a whole new paradigm in music production, with new ways to record and new distribution methods. There is more good music at our fingertips than ever before. Without digital there would have been no Naxos, which is one of the best labels in the last 40 years for shaking the industry up to record outside the 'std' repertoire.

I have the mercury living presence box set 2 on my shelf. If I bought mint LPs would have cost 500-1000, and for under 100 I have the set. That to me is progress. They sound great as well.

I can safely say I have a lot more 'bad' vinyl in terms of recording and pressing than I do bad digital.

Ken Newton said:
The question which then would follow is, why such a discrepancy? Why would a medium with clearly superior objective performance often prove subjectively inferior to a lesser performing medium? The key word pointing to the answer is, I think, often.
No, I think the key issue is the difference between objective (what it is) and subjective (what we prefer). When FM radio was introduced people complained, as they didn't like its extended HF response ("shrill" was the word used); they much preferred old 'warm' AM. Some still do!

Some people prefer AM radio, 'tube sound' (only loosely connected with tube amplifiers), LP and/or tape. Note that all these have significant and audible problems when compared with better systems. They don't all have the same problems: FM is analogue too, 'tube sound' can be engineered in to an SS amp if required, LP has tracking and crackle problems, tape has flutter problems. If people often prefer the flawed medium, whatever the flaw happens to be, then we must suspect that what they dislike about the less flawed medium is precisely that: it has fewer flaws.

Status
Not open for further replies.