John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Perception/reality

... I very much doubt anyone can by hearing "iron out" peaks or dips of say +/-3 dB at say 7 kHz and say 10 kHz?...

Agreed! In my experience amplitude and frequency domain errors are most easily perceived and are the anomalies most reliably detected in an ABX.

... but experience also teaches me that more often than not no trace of such "subtle" differences can be found by measureing, and generally somehow they are the only ones hearing it.

As you say, we are not in their heads and cannot KNOW what they are hearing, but sometimes we cn find out what they say they are hearing when in fact they are not. Classic example - tell them you have just changed the speaker behind the curtain and play the same piece of music again, and watch them hop...

Hey, I'm for just about anything to heighten the illusion. We must remember that what we are trying to do in high-quality reproduction is create a convincing illusion. We call it reproduction, but it is not: we make no attempt to build a physical space like the one the original performance was made in, nor hire the same musicians to play. By it's very nature it is not real: there are no musicians there, not the acoustic space in which the recording may have been made(or simulated), but just an illusion. It is the most precious of illusions to me: I've dedicated my life to music and audio, but as an illusion it is subject to many of the sleight-of-hand phenomena known to illusionists, some of whom seem to be making a good living in the audio business.

I think John was right on when he said:
The greatest change of sound quality for the least amount of physical substance is probably LSD. Had that experience on my 29th birthday (a long time ago). I don't necessarily recommend it.

Nor do I recommend messing with brain chemistry, but the fact is that the brain is the audio processor we all listen to/through that makes the illusion. Any changes to this processor affect our perception, making 100% confident claims of audibility difficult. Therein lies the argument for testing of some sort.

Howie

Howard Hoyt
CE - WXYC-FM 89.3
UNC Chapel Hill, NC
www.wxyc.org

The joke, on me, is that I'm almost completely oblivious of frequency response issues - someone could massively reshape the curve, and I would barely notice anything - it's not "my thing". OTOH, low level distortion issues really, really bug me - they scream at me, drive me batty until I've worked out how to sort them out - I've had terrible times going to stage shows, and having to endure the irksome grubbiness of the sound, having paid good money for the "pleasure" ...

Hey, I'm for just about anything to heighten the illusion. We must remember that what we are trying to do in high-quality reproduction is create a convincing illusion. We call it reproduction, but it is not: we make no attempt to build a physical space like the one the original performance was made in, nor hire the same musicians to play. By it's very nature it is not real: there are no musicians there, not the acoustic space in which the recording may have been made(or simulated), but just an illusion. It is the most precious of illusions to me: I've dedicated my life to music and audio, but as an illusion it is subject to many of the sleight-of-hand phenomena known to illusionists, some of whom seem to be making a good living in the audio business.
Yes. The interesting thing is that I stumbled upon, that worked for me and others, a far more intense version of that - in every sense it's a large jump up from the normal standard, but the presentation of that level is very fragile, because not enough is known about all the factors that relate to making it happen. The fundamental is that certain types of distortion have to be at a very low level, and with the current state of audio engineering this is not trivial - usually, only fastidious tweaking can push the overall quality to a sufficiently high standard.

The article was IIRC EDN circa 1982, the introduction of the AD524. I used NOS Allen Bradley carbon comps and +-10V on a 10k bridge was enough to do it. The article is not archived on our site like the one Walt and I did later, I might have a copy though. Simple enough idea make a bridge of four with +-10V excitation, with a small trim on one leg you can get a low enough DC that you can put an in-amp at gain of 100 or so across the sense points and get just the noise.

EDIT - found it, very slightly different as I remember but same point.
Scott, thank you for going to the trouble of finding your article.
This looks exactly like what I need.

Dan.

Perception vs measurement

You can always measure some difference. Two systems never measure absolutely same. The key is to predict audibility of the difference measured.

My experience has been the same with virtually all of the differences I have been involved in investigating. Challenging systems with pulses and analyzing the output as is done with the TEF system has been most enlightening. The extension of this idea which has gained some popularity in the DIY community is that there are audible differences which we have not yet identified as discrete phenomena, and do not yet have equipment to measure. I don't mean to drag you into a flame war, but what is your opinion on this issue? Feel free to not reply!

Howie

CE - WXYC-FM 89.3
UNC Chapel Hill, NC
www.wxyc.org

Digital sound has had a pretty difficult birth, because the "experts" kept insisting that there nothing wrong, yet people who actually listened to what their purchased equipment produced knew there was something not quite right, no matter what the numbers said. It's been a long, drawn out "battle" to get the "experts" to acknowledge that their measuring regime was not good enough to tell the full story, bits of information about how the system was misbehaving were being missed ... and that process is still taking place, to some degree ...

I think that the reason for investigating differences is to lead to improvements. There is no other way after all. Before one can focus in improvements one must focus on differences. If you do it in the wrong order, you get a bad result. Furthermore, having a natural curiosity to catalogue and investigate differences is not in itself a bad thing at all, and will likely lead to more effective improvements.

Personally, I don't concern myself with "positive" differences - these are irrelevant to me. The "nuggets of gold" are the negative differences, because these pinpoint, give vital clues as to where the improvements can be made, where there is some abnormal, audible artifact in the belly of the beast ...

A "disease" I think we all have, :D - over the years I have got so many interesting insights from simulations, things behaving in a non-intuitive way - and later on I recall in another situation smidgeons of that "interesting result" I got years before ... can I "lay my hands" on that useful stuff, now - nooo, of course not ... :rolleyes:

So the identification of the kind of difference is crucial to your method.
Yes, the "kind" is absolutely key - unless I am 100% positive it is a negative difference I will ignore it - trying to grade differences which can be taken either way is a recipe for disaster, in my book. So how do I know it is in fact a negative? Normally by using difficult, "bad" recordings which very strongly provoke the misbehaviour - a classic example is sibilance, that people mention often - I would have on hand the recording with most extreme, in your face, version of that characteristic in the recording, and see how the system handled it ...

Difference vs improvement

I'm wondering here - why the focus on differences, rather than improvements?

When I use the word "difference" in a signal context I am referring to any change from the original. Without the original as a reference, you do not know whether you are changing the signal for the better or worse. Ideally the final signal/sound would be identical to the actual event (which we know cannot be).

Ultimately any "improvements" should be making the difference between the final sound and the input reference smaller. Quantifying the difference is at the root of my previous question to Pavel.

In general usage, the word "improvement" can be used subjectively, in an input vs output context the term "difference" should not, as it represents a quantified change from the original. However most of us here would probably view them as equivalent in a sound quality context.

Just my tired $0.02 worth...GN

Howie

Howard Hoyt
CE - WXYC-FM 89.3
UNC Chapel Hill, NC
www.wxyc.org

Status
Not open for further replies.