John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you look at the datasheets for X2 caps, their max pulse rate is much higher than other caps. Say you have two appliances with a cap across the line. One is plugged in, and the other gets plugged in as the line voltage peaks. You now have one super-low impedance capacitor discharging into another, which can result in hundreds or thousands of amps in an instant. Typical caps can struggle to stay within their ratings even if you do nothing but flip the switch when the line voltage happens to crest.
Actually, the situation is not that bad: under realistic conditions, it is difficult to exceed 200A very worst case: the inductance of the line cords limits the peak current.
A worst case happens when there is a bad contact: if the first insertion is interrupted at one voltage maximum, and the contact reestablished at the opposite one, the total voltage Δ will be 650V for European systems.

Even this relatively limited peak current is sufficient to generate a measurable degradation of a standard, metalized mylar cap for a single event: reduction of capacitance and increase of tan δ

Sorry Frank once mixed they can not be separated only filtered together by the same amount. A rumble filter is a lot cheaper.
But, the filter is not working on the mixed signal, it's impacting the mechanism causing the distortion, typically some type of interference effect - for example, an RF, or out of audio bandwidth, signal is riding on top of the audio, which causes problems further down the chain. Simple solution: eliminate or change the character of that inaudible component - a change in the sound is then heard.

You know, whether I understand how something works or not has nothing to do with whether it really does work or not.
That's the nub of it, I'm afraid - I've had plenty of "Whaattt ..?!?" experiences over the years ... something has been casually done, not as part of an effort to improve performance, and the sound has changed - there appears zero rational linkage between cause and effect.

But, I don't have a hangup about requiring the behaviour to fit in with my current knowledge base - if it happened, it happened - and, I don't have a hangup about using exotic, expensive, "magical" materials to make things change - everyday stuff from the junk box, or local grocery or hardware store has the right "ingredients" to make good progress in coming to grips with the behaviours.

But, the filter is not working on the mixed signal, it's impacting the mechanism causing the distortion, typically some type of interference effect - for example, an RF, or out of audio bandwidth, signal is riding on top of the audio, which causes problems further down the chain. Simple solution: eliminate or change the character of that inaudible component - a change in the sound is then heard.

Whatever you say Frank.

Oh dear, I didn't think electronics was so 'hard', :D ... I look at the entirety of the circuit creating the sound, it's a closed system conceptually; form a 100% effective 'shield' around it at some boundary surface or region , and ensure no spurious effects occur within that space from the components operating - that have an audible impact. That's how I think about sorting out an audio setup - and it's been a highly effective strategy ... ;)

But not too seriously, because as far as I can gather, most ardent objectioists have in fact never tried it themselves, they seem locked onto the sales blurb.

That isn't a sales blurb that is an outright fallacy, in countries which enforce the false advertising law this guy would've been fined a million dollars by now.

A sales blurb has some hint of truth to it, this fallacy is a complete and total fabrication and a massive bastardization of the understanding of space and time as we know it.

I've come across bastard sons of bastard uncles who live in China and sell boxes full of sandbags who are more honest than this guy. At least they had the honesty to write "Contains Silica" on the side.

Infact by coming out and saying this you have not only lost all credibility with me you have lost it with everyone else on this thread too, I know this because nobody would ever want to defend a product like this unless they were selling it and selling it in a way that was dishonest.

If you honestly wanted to promote a product then you would at least first identify any threats to your own credibility, your credibility is EVERYTHING in this industry, secondly you would then state for the record that this component does change or alter the sound in some way and that you have identified what the component does through measuring what it does.

At the very least during a listening session you would stay away from words like "improved dramatically" and "beautiful" or "Significant alteration of the sound, for the better" or "I've never come across a component which improves the sound so greatly as this one does"

Infact the whole word "improve" is a logical fallacy, because one persons improvement may be another persons detriment. You should try to describe what it does to the sound, lowers bass, increases bass, lowers treble, increases treble. Gives the instruments more timbre, reduces timbre. Etc. And that would be the end of the review.

An "improvement" is subjective.

John liked the Bybees and said so. He was immediately ripped apart by a few people here who object to anything he writes, and moreover, who deny the value of anything they do not immediately recognize.
You're crazy, that is the whole point of a Forum to keep money out of people who would deceive and give it to those who do not, you nor he has any control over the thoughts and minds of other people, to do so would be a fascist act and destroy the entire point of a forum.

I am all the more disappointed as that group has some seasoned and well proved people I would expect to keep a more open mind, stupidly written ads notwithstanding.
Actually this is where I disagree the most, the group of people you refer to would be more closed minded than the average joe who has no understanding of Physics and the Natural laws of the universe. Science doesn't care for Clowns or Comedy Performers.

We're not laughing for a good reason, we're being told what to believe and fork out $100 or more for a resistor.

Has anyone ever seen a truthful ad stating the naked truth like: "This is just another run-off-the-mill device, everybody has a model so we had to have one too. It doesn't sound like much, but it shure looks good and for this dough, that's enough".
Yes I see them all the time, Computer manufacturers used to ******** their way through everything, I remember one paticular computer stated as "The computer that will never go obsolete." It was an AMD K6-2 500, now granted I can get quite a few things done on such an old dinosaur, in console, but it is still obsolete.

But there is a huge difference between this resistor and a computer, at least on even the most dishonest computers they have the decency to state the specifications on the sticker. This device has none of that. Anywhere.

There is much vanity at work here.
I hate to say it because you've been friendly so far with me, but you know what I'm thinking when I read that passage.

a few of them could make a good amp, but would be insulted to the bone if you then said that an external power filter improved their sound. I've seen this effect at work many a time.
Again more sleight of hand. You know you sound like a Preacher right?

I've agreed that mains filtering is a good thing, I've even gone as far as building an off-grid solar power system for the purpose of running from Pure unadulterated Inverter power. I've spent many thousands of dollars getting this far on that cause alone!

Only once in my entire life did I run into an amp/preamp designer who said that my filter was a lesson to him because it improved the sound of his work, and in his view that was not supposed to be possible, so he'd have to rethink his internal power supplies. Not that my filter is any work of genius, it's built on principles well known for over 70 years, but I did avoid all cost-cutting, if it needs a more expensive part, it will get it, period.
That's your prerogative, and no doubt you are going to continue to use the wrong specked capacitor until you get completely **** canned by the authorities.

If I were you I would get in contact with all of your buyers and see if any of them are still alive, I would recommend that you use a payphone for this.

I couldn't sleep at night knowing that 13 years of badly designed filters are out there floating around. The fire hazard is questionable as there isn't that much combustible material in that case, but the PCB board itself is probably combustible at a certian temperature and that could be enough to start a secondary fire.

Last edited:
We're not laughing for a good damn reason, we're being told what to believe and fork out $100 or more for a resistor.
Isn't there a story around, something along the lines of:

"Why are you charging me $100 for that 5 cent resistor?"

"The bill is a total: 5 cents for the resistor, plus $99.95 for telling you that you need that resistor - it's called a service fee"

Isn't there a story around, something along the lines of:

"Why are you charging me $100 for that 5 cent resistor?"

"The bill is a total: 5 cents for the resistor, plus $99.95 for telling you that you need that resistor - it's called a service fee"
If only these would cost a 'mearly' 100 bucks, than i might have wanted to simply try one.. in the netherlands you have to fork out quite a bit more and that is even in 'expensive' euro's..

I won't argue that fact, but the explanation of what is truly going on makes no sense.

This is a big thing. I keep having to explain that the difference in impedance between MKP and MKT is almost nothing, to people who have been told that MKP will be an improvement on power rails. The explanation they have been given doesn't make any sense, but they cling to it and tell me I must be wrong, and then I show them the measurements. I don't even claim there is no audible difference, I only claim that the way they explain it does not explain it.

Many of these things can be ruled out without at all questioning the perception of the observer. Often you just have to explain to them that their explanation is not self-consistent, rather than making it personal and making them resent you and anyone like you in the future. That is better for both you and them. And they will also be closer to their goal, because they won't be stuck grinding on flawed concepts.

Everyone knows that failing capacitors prevent breakers from tripping while simultaneously opening a maw of hellfire from which a demon reaches out and takes the skin of your children and pets in front of you until the domicile burst in flames in such an inverse implosion from the maw closure that the concussion actually whiplashes you out of the nearest window as a rag doll from being knocked cold, all so that you may remember up until the point of the demon retreating with the skins of all that you love.

Obviously DVV's conditioners, and Audiences, are ticking maw bombs incased in metal boxes with foolish breakers and current breaking devices.

The fashion I use the line caps, the cap qualities seem a bit less important so I use X2 anyway. I'm not religious about it though; just doing it because I have no reason not too.

Many of these things can be ruled out without at all questioning the perception of the observer. Often you just have to explain to them that their explanation is not self-consistent, rather than making it personal and making them resent you and anyone like you in the future. That is better for both you and them. And they will also be closer to their goal, because they won't be stuck grinding on flawed concepts.
On the other "side", they grind on about how people have such flawed hearing they're lucky to be able to be able to tell the difference between jazz and classical - both lots could improve their game ...

Those of you who actually tried a Bybee Purifier, and heard a difference, thanks for your courage in admitting it. I have dozens of Bybee Purifiers in my audio and video system, and I am getting for sophisticated versions all the time. But then, I am open minded enough to listen for myself.
It would be better to ignore Bybee Purifiers here, because they are expensive and they usually only make a small difference. As I have said before, perhaps the people here should just ignore the Bybee devices entirely. However, I have never caught Jack in a 'lie' and I go along with most of his advertising.
He did 'blindside' me last year with the Bybee-Curl (whatever). I wish that he had told me in advance and that I did not learn about it from this forum. I never received any money for my contribution for this latest power line 'Purifier'
but I do have one now, and I hope to listen to it critically in future. At $5000 each, I doubt that anyone here will be interested. '-)

John,
I wouldn't want to see you teaching any type of physics class or even a basic electronics class at this point.

I actually think someone should sue Bybee for fraud, I would love to see him back up any claims in a court of law.

You think when people in the industry come to testify that his products do something, explained or not, that represent a total of hundreds of millions of dollars the judge will just look at the O-scope and go, "pfffft snake oil!"

Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.