John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Joined 2002
Paid Member
The added cost is not that big in relation to the finished product.
The cost is maybe double a 2" X 3" in ceramic is $22.50 in quantity 100.
Is it audible maybe, but it sure makes nice man jewelry and is a pleasure to work with. the cost of PCB's is small compared to metal and finishing.

Again, my best designs use better than FR-4. For example, the CTC Blowtorch uses Teflon, and the Vendetta Research uses Polyamide. However, all of the Parasound products use FR-4, remember, in respect to 'bang for the buck'.
Decades ago, being very sensitive to DA in caps, I found a similar potential problem in circuit boards, just like Tektronix did with FR-4. They called it 'circuit hook', and it was visually identifiable on an oscilloscope. Therefore, about 25 years ago we switched to Polyamide (we had to buy it special) with good success. It is important to address EVERY potential problem to get the very best results.
Good info, thanks.

Dan.

http://www.analog.com/library/AnalogDialogue/archives/43-09/EDch%2012%20pc%20issues.pdf
PCB "hook," similar if not identical to DA, is characterized by variation in effective
circuit-board capacitance with frequency (see Reference 1). In general, it affects high
impedance circuit transient response where board capacitance is an appreciable portion of
the total in the circuit. Circuits operating at frequencies below 10 kHz are the most
susceptible.
As in circuit board DA, the board's chemical makeup very much influences
its effects.

Last edited:
Because you are working with high impedance tube circuits and surely you are aware about various publications on leakage, DA, etc in different insulators (Keithley, etc) and conventional approach for grid circuits (teflon/ceramic solder terminals, etc).
You can read discussions in Solid-state, when the capacitive load of so-called VAS is several pF and then you stated that
electrical benefits are nearly non-existent
:no:
Personally, I would advise you to review your judgement

I'm not building electrometers. And I'm not building microwave gear. This is audio. Impedances are in the 10s of k and lower.

Tubes are made of glass and steel, transistors are made from epoxy. So how does the nonideality of a pF of circuit board (and that's generous!) affect that? And what is the magnitude of that modulation? Scale, Dmitri, scale!

I'm not building electrometers. And I'm not building microwave gear. This is audio. Impedances are in the 10s of k and lower.

Tubes are made of glass and steel, transistors are made from epoxy. So how does the nonideality of a pF of circuit board (and that's generous!) affect that? And what is the magnitude of that modulation? Scale, Dmitri, scale!
I do recall heated treads about resistors behavior at below -120 db of signal . Scale indeed. Cost may well be the scale that is not taken in to effect here .

Attachments

• jess-economy-scale-03-10a1.jpg
    jess-economy-scale-03-10a1.jpg
    410 KB · Views: 220
Back to square one, anyone else out there using P2P wiring and high quality PTFE sockets for their better phono preamps?

I built one that way perhaps 20 years ago. Learned my lesson about trading off real mechanical and reliability advantages against nearly-nonexistent electrical advantages. Never used PTFE for circuit boards after repairing several Berning amps where the flexure caused traces to break and lift.

Good to hear that you found it so useful, John! Demonstrates the 'power' of Google - from the earlier conversation, I looked up 'hook "board capacitance" ', and the 10th link down pointed to this book ... the Tektronix article in Electronics is a reference at some point in the book ...

Joined 2004
Paid Member

I think the frequency reference is misleading. In the case of audio its a dynamic range issue. If you start with 10K Ohms and an impedance nonlinearity of 100 dB it translates into nonlinearities of gigaOhms. Its certainly possible to see a change in the .00001% range showing up for may reasons. Because of the scale 10K may not be low enough to reduce/eliminate the effect. Not much of an effect but it could be a bigger issue with high impedances. In this case it may be a voltage coefficient that's high enough to cause problems.There are a lot of these small issues that can turn up and bite you. For example a 600 Ohm source into a 10K load will have an amplitude error enough to throw off a precision measurement. Add cable capacitance and its hard to get trustworthy measurements at 100 KHz. 50 Ohms reduces the errors a lot.

Whether these errors are audible either individually or in concert with others is a real question, but I would rather deal with them if its easy than ignore them.

Glass epoxy does not make for a good capacitor but the materials that do have issues making them not suitable for PCB's. I got Tektronix to make PCB's for me back at Spectral, using the special material they cooked up to deal with hook. It worked and I believed it sounded much better. They were clear and really cool. However it had no fiberglass reinforcement so really fragile and some common solvents from the period would dissolve the board instantly. Then Tek closed down the PCB shop and we couldn't get the boards any more.

I resolved that issue in the easiest possible terms available to me. I had two identical boards made, one using glass fibre boards with 35 microns of copper (the absolute standard), and another from the same manufacturer but using 70 microns of copper. I filled them up and adjusted them to exactly the same at 1 kHz. Then I listened. Simple power amps based on LM 391-100 chip driver circuitry with discrete output stages based on Motorolola MJ 21193/21194 power devices.

No surprises there, the thicker one did sound better. Not incredibly better, no revelation, but audibly better. I noted that the difference was across the board, meaning from the lowest to the highest frequencies, the midrange showing the least change.

The other materials people mentioned are not available to me.

What, exactly, is the problem with glass-epoxy ?
Too much conductivity ? Mechanical resonances ?
While my 5GHz computer use such material for his mother board, any evidence by measurements that epoxy makes a difference in the 10MHz range in audio, compared with other exotic hype material ?
Can-we refer to any blind test showing obvious listening differences ?

Back to square one, anyone else out there using P2P wiring

Couple of decades ago, I assembled a phono stage on solid glass plates.
(through hole, with ceramic stand-offs and leads soldered to copper washers on the opposite side)
Looked grand, didn't sound that well (also a solid neurocognitive enhancement stimuli abuser in those days)

Is that circuit hook capacitance dive restricted to dissimilar materials ?

Status
Not open for further replies.