John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mooly, do you know about the Gedlee metric for distortion? It's based on audibility. It's not perfect, but it's not complete yet. It hasn't been modified to add information about frequency-dependent distortions.

To me the frequency-dependent distortions are the most interesting part. I think if we had a number of listening tests using files run through special nonlinear circuits in LTSpice we might be able to gain some ideas about what should be in the frequency-dependent part of the Gedlee metric.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
OK folks. Here is what you've been waiting for.

Results ;)

The devices were very different. Opamp A was an OPA604 and Opamp B the AD797. I think its fair to say that the images of the distortion showed the AD797 to be far superior when driving the low impedance load with the distortion remaining essentially off the radar. What of the listening tests though. Not so obvious perhaps.

Key for Listening Test Folders.
Ltest1 = AD797 Loaded.
Ltest2 = OPA604 Loaded.
Ltest3 = AD797 Unloaded.
Ltest4 = OPA604 Unloaded.

LtestA = OPA604 Loaded.
LtestB = AD797 Unloaded.
LtestC = AD797 Loaded.
LtestD = OPA604 Unloaded.

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
I said the harmonics behaved AS IF they went through a HP filter. I wasn't describing exactly what happened, I was describing how it LOOKED to someone investigating with an FFT or spectrum analyzer. I thought that saying it this way would be accessible to more people.

Now I'm not sure if I am really wrong about this or if people just got the wrong idea. So I'll try to put this to rest.

If your OLG is falling at 12db/oct, then won't the residual harmonics have an upward slope of 12db/oct relative to the error signal (regardless of absolute level)? After all a harmonic at 4KHz is divided by the open-loop gain at 4KHz, no matter where the fundamental is? And so OLG is not the same for each harmonic, when the signal falls within the OLG slope region?

You were quite clear to me the first time. I understood it just as you have described.

THx-RNMarsh

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Mooly, what I did was to just remove the page number, which is that number just before the .html. DIYAudio will take you to the page number rather than the post number, if the page number is specified. I'm surprised this hasn't been fixed yet.

I'll try and remember that. Hopefully these issues will get fixed with any forum upgrades.

Continuing on that last post, why don't you guys give this a listen. I find it VERY interesting.

I've run Mooly's first file (because it was at hand) through a time-dependent SE distortion generator.

Ooh! Ahh!

https://www.mediafire.com/?4k39zvk3xs08r8z

EDIT: Oops, there's some big problems with this one. Still, an interesting example of distortion.

Not quite sure what have done there but its very obvious. Done with software ?

Mooly, do you know about the Gedlee metric for distortion? It's based on audibility. It's not perfect, but it's not complete yet. It hasn't been modified to add information about frequency-dependent distortions.

To me the frequency-dependent distortions are the most interesting part. I think if we had a number of listening tests using files run through special nonlinear circuits in LTSpice we might be able to gain some ideas about what should be in the frequency-dependent part of the Gedlee metric.

I think I know the papers you mean but I haven't studied them in depth tbh.
This one ?
Perception

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
My favorites are

AD797 - very quiet, very low distortion. Sets the benchmark.

But did it here on subjective grounds alone ?

I have not used any CFA's for small signal - but they aren't going to better the VFA types above on noise, but they win big on bandwidth and rise/fall time.

I dropped a CFA into last years tests and it didn't excell judging by the votes.

There are a few very fine JFET input opamps as well (OP637) but they are expensive.

I like the OPA604. Always have done although I've recently started favouring the LM4562 as being the most transparent. That detracts nothing from the OPA though which always turns in a stellar sonic result... you want to keep listening. Accuracy and objectives vs subjectives... same old story :)

Yes Mooly, that's the paper.

The file I posted was flawed, but perceptually it shows something interesting I think. The piano at the beginning is crunchy but the sax and stuff after actually seem to be "enhanced". I can't know if this is a result of the errors or if it has to do with the SE distortion.

Bingo. ALL humans have lying brains, it's how we're wired. We couldn't process sensory data without it.

The difference is whether or not we're willing to admit it.

That is, one might say, the very first stage on a long path. However, a small however..it is probably best, with regard to the idea of a journey, to not stop at that initial point of the journey.

In order to make the journey function, at all, it is probably best not to punish one's self, but to 'move on' (and along) in that journey. To realize it is a journey, one that will, in all known experience that is honestly self analyzed... to be never ending -even as we step into the grave, it still flows.

Within that sort of context, shared understanding can evolve along with the emergence of the end of argument.

Factualization being one of the most dishonest and self-denigrating forms of the self lie that the intrepid can ever tell themselves. Factualization creates the aura of security and knowing in the self -the most dangerous form of a self lie. With factualization and knowing comes permanence, and in that evolution and learning ends, it ends in death throes of projected violence toward the new and the unknown.

A recent example of this as human understanding has emerged, in the offering of an X-Prize of $10 million US to end the blockade against 'Free energy, or 'Over unity' technology systems. The widespread blockage of such systems is now recognized, publicly, by this given organization. The prize is offered for finished systems that can be demonstrated with a COP in excess of 1.

It is interesting to note that they have not addressed the prize title for this endeavor as an impossible technology, but specifically as a forbidden technology.

Last edited:
That is, one might say, the very first stage on a long path. However, a small however..it is probably best, with regard to the idea of a journey, to not stop at that initial point of the journey.

In order to make the journey function, at all, it is probably best not to punish one's self, but to 'move on' (and along) in that journey. To realize it is a journey, one that will, in all known experience that is honestly self analyzed... to be never ending -even as we step into the grave, it still flows.

Within that sort of context, shared understanding can evolve along with the emergence of the end of argument.

Factualization being one of the most dishonest and self-denigrating forms of the self lie that the intrepid can ever tell themselves. Factualization creates the aura of security and knowing in the self -the most dangerous form of a self lie. With factualization and knowing comes permanence, and in that evolution and learning ends, it ends in death throes of projected violence toward the new and the unknown.

KBK uses flowery language but that probably reflects mostly on the books he reads. You tend to pick up the style and mannerisms of the material you read no matter what. Flowery language is a tool of snake charmers but not exclusively. Some people just like flowers. Chilton manuals don't cut it.

KBK seems to be saying that once you know the brain is a liar and everything is not what it seems, you can learn it's patterns and become more objective as a person. Makes sense to me. Isn't that really just the basic process of growing as a person?

He seems to be addressing some assumption he has about SY's way of thinking, which comes off as rude but well-meant at best.

A lot of what he says does make sense, although he says it in such an archaic and lordly way that he defeats his own purpose.

I like the OPA604. Always have done although I've recently started favouring the LM4562 as being the most transparent. That detracts nothing from the OPA though which always turns in a stellar sonic result... you want to keep listening. Accuracy and objectives vs subjectives... same old story :)

The OPA604 is a FET-input operational amplifier designed
for enhanced AC performance. Very low distortion, low noise
and wide bandwidth provide superior performance in high
quality audio and other applications requiring excellent dynamic
performance.
New circuit techniques and special laser trimming of dynamic
circuit performance yield very low harmonic distortion. The
result is an op amp with exceptional sound quality. The lownoise
FET input of the OPA604 provides wide dynamic
range, even with high source impedance. Offset voltage is
laser-trimmed to minimize the need for interstage coupling
capacitors.

:magnify:
OPA604 max ps.jpg
:eek:

:cool:
OPA604 circ.jpg

:scratch2:
OPA604 sound.jpg

:cool:

Muh-hu-hu-hu-ha-ha-haaaaa! :flame: I've got a handful around here somewhere ...

OPA604 and Garfield j.jpg

:snoopy: , no not snoopy, Garfield!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.