John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks. (what is TRR?)
George
Reverse recovery. The two ways of speeding up turnoff is to either pull the charges out of the silicon by current, or recombination within the silicon itself. By making lattice defects via ion implantation or rad damage, or via diffusion of gold or platinum, you increase recombination sites. It comes at a cost to other parameters of course.

jn

If you would tell me the die size in mm2, I can estimate the Rth to the legs.
Small legs though, since package is unfortunately SOIC and not DIP.
Rthjc can be rough guessed using numbers from other SOIC24 packages .....

Patrick

Less distance through the lead frame though...multi layer 2oz every layer, with thermal vias and the copper on every layer, rear of board bare copper mounted to heat sink with a bit of berquest thermal pad....did a board with this package a few years ago when at Baxall Security for a video distribution.
Today I would use thermal heat pipes to actively remove the heat from the device/board and have direct coupling both top and bottom.
Is there not a similar device in a modern bottom terminated package?

likely measured with copper cold plate with cooling water pipes - the specs do say: "25 C case temperature"

and probably elevated to a top line bold/bullet item by some marketing genius

once you realize the test conditions its easy to apply a factor of say 50% for what a farily good convection air cooled heatsink could do with the part

I am sucking > 6W from each TPA6120 op amp by clamping its power pad to a copper slug PC cooler:

stack.jpg

side view of 6x TPA6120 mounted "belly up" to clamp pwr pad to CPU heatsink Cu slug

internals:

190046d1285864557-1ppm-gridamp-amp_guts.jpg

For a little short of 10k, you can watch a Constellation Preamp 1.0

Jacco, for $10k you can buy a hell of a lot of preamps from just about everybody, but they wouldn't be designed by John.

You see, the thing is, I like to have something designed by people I believe to be well versed in quality sound because I trust them. I need to buy a headphone amp (my 4th, I already have 3 of my own) from my old friend Thorsten Loesch, a power amp by Jan Didden, and obviously something from John.

It's not necessity, it's a whim.

Rather upsetting to see horrible standard ribbon cable in a unit costing $32,000.....

???

What if that standard ribbon cable simply carries the signal for a remote relay to switch? A simple, stupid DC signal? Nothing to do with the audio circuits?

That's what I use them for, as well as carrying the voltage over to the signal LEDs, which inform me of the amp's current running status. Actually, they are a godsend for such purposes.

Last edited:
They are the worse thing for EMC, It looks like it is carrying digital signals from the front plate. If they are just carrying static DC then no problem, but for so called high end gear at $32,000 personally if it has ribbon cable in then I would look else where, at this price it looks (and is) cheap.

As I said, Marce, in my case they usually connect a front mounted rotary selector of the El Cheapo kind (e.g. Lorlin) to the usually back mounted switching board. All they carry is 12 VDC or 0 VDC for switching relays on and off. Or warning LED signals, again straight DC.

For audio signals, I usually do my best to use as few cables as possible, and preferably none, hight quality wiring, usually from Neotech, usually pure silver. I'm not saying it's a must, but I believe pure silver cables to be the best deal out there. Others may feel otherwise.

Status
Not open for further replies.