John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Disabled Account
Joined 2012
Obviously I bought the wrong electrostatic - maybe you did too Richard

I'm still looking for that rare blues eyes and red hair woman.

I wonder why blatant sexuality isnt used any more in audio advertizing... Because It still works on men. You know, those pictures of a speakers or an amplifier by themselves are not nearly as interesting nor eye catching.

-RM

Last edited:
P.S.: @R.M.: I totally agree with you on the abysmal quality of most (especially historic) blues recordings. So bad I moved over to bebop. Honestly.
That's sad. For me, that would be a terrible place to be - not to be able to enjoy the music of that era; the energy, emotion and bite of those recordings is magic stuff, so obviously a key requirement for me is to get that happening ...

Jan, maybe you should find music that does that.
The lady does not care how it sounds.

Well, if so, then I must have hit the Grand Jackpot with my wife, because she DOES care how it sounds, and in the best possible way - she wants a sound she likes from HER system, but will never question my choice for mine.

I actually owned that H/K 680 integrated amp for about 30 minutes only, it took me that long to bring it home, hook it up and power it. She came in, said something like that sounds good, I want it, and that was that. Ever since then, it was and still is in her room, that's her amp, and the JBL Ti600 floorstanders are her speaker, and the Sony DVD is also hers. Naturally, she has her own collection of CDs, which I am charged with procuring. We share a part of our musical tastes, her favorite song is Leonard Cohen's "Closing Time", and ever since she heard Waylon Jennings in 1981 when we met, she's been a fan of his as well, etc.

When she visited Cape Town, South Africa in July, she came back with 9 CDs, some double albums, with a selection of music I wouldn't have bought better.

Like I said a couple of times, she's one hell of a lady.

Last edited:
Frankly Jan, it's been nothing but fun for the last 32 years.

I think it's all about trust. She knows I will always stick with her through thick and thin, and I know she'll always be there for me. That's how it has always been, that's how it will be.

We help each other out however and whenever we can, and my favorite time of day are the evenings, when we sit down and analyze our day and what's ahead of us. Plans are made, and plans are adhered to. We do not recognize man/woman jobs, just jobs which need to be done. There were periods of our lives when I was literally working for her just to help her out, and vice versa.

Literally soul mates.

Some people say it is a great challenge and thus great fun to build circuits by hand with tiny microscopic parts. Even bordering on exciting.
I can just see (sic) my end result.... not working.

-RM

To me. SMT has the obvious benefit of being smaller, thus enabling us to use shorter signal paths. This is somewhat offset by the fact that while shorter, they are also thinner.

On the minus side, as you say, you need Superman's X ray vision to work with it in any volume over say 1 or 2 components if forced, you need special versions of components which are typically offered in 200, 500 and over pcs, you need machines to solder that and it's not really well suited for repair.

Not that I'm terribly worried, a good friend of mine own everything I need, a complete SMD manufacturing facility (for smaller series, say 100-300 pcs), and I may look him up for a few special projects where size does matter, such as, for example, buffers using discrete components, but that's it.

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Some people say it is a great challenge and thus great fun to build circuits by hand with tiny microscopic parts. Even bordering on exciting.
I can just see (sic) my end result.... not working.

-RM

My 1st SMD project was Bruno's balanced preamp, and to my great surprise it went quite well! Pretty quick, and worked on 1st try.
Of course these were not the very tiniest of parts, but still.

I am now slowly moving to SMD for instance for MOSFET gate stoppers where you can put them on the back side of the PCB right up to the gate pin. Other things like rectifiers on the back of the board right under the (PCB mounted) electrolytics, makes for a very compact PS and you know the virtues of that.

So there's a lot to be gained without going over to the dark side completely. ;)

Jan

Status
Not open for further replies.