John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Here is a question, relevant to

Can of worms? :)
Dynamic, Condenser and Carbon mics are pressure sensing devices. Ribbons are velocity sensing devices.
But this doesn’t say a lot.
Pressure or pressure gradient? Under which law? This is dictated by the construction (closed or open back)
Ribbons are cosine law (angle of diaphragm rel to incident wave).
Phase differences can be converted into amplitude differences in the acoustic domain by combining two mics a distance apart.
Sound intensity and velocity can be extracted from two pressure mics at two points (measured simultaneously).

Next question (regarding pressure or velocity sensing) is where do we place the microphone(s). From BRUEL & KJ/ER TECHNICAL REVIEW 4-1985 :

"Sound Fields
At a given point in a sound field there will be an acoustic pressure, p, and a particle velocity, u. A natural way of classifying the sound field for intensity measurements is whether p and u are correlated or not.
The diffuse sound field is an example where p and u are uncorrelated. In this case there is no amplitude gradient or phase gradient of the sound field. All the energy is stored in the sound field.

Where p and u are correlated a further subdivision is possible. The situation where p and u are in phase can be defined as an active sound field. An example of a purely active sound field is a plane wave propagating in a free field. In this situation a phase gradient exists but no amplitude gradient. All acoustic energy propagates.
The situation where p and u are in quadrature, that is 90° out of phase, can be defined as a reactive sound field. An example of a purely reactive sound field is a standing wave. In this situation an amplitude gradient exists but no phase gradient. All energy fluctuates between the sources (real as well as imaginary sources) and the medium.
Note, that in general a sound field consists of an active, reactive and diffuse part. Also note that there might exist singular points in a sound field where the above definitions do not hold. One example is found where we have pressure maxima in an ideal, standing wave. In these points u is equal to zero - that is we have a purely pressure field. Another similar example is where we have velocity maxima in an ideal standing wave. In these points p is equal to zero - that is we have a purely velocity field."

George

The situation where p and u are in phase can be defined as an active sound field. An example of a purely active sound field is a plane wave propagating in a free field. In this situation a phase gradient exists but no amplitude gradient. All acoustic energy propagates.
[/I]

George

Great stuff George. I would think impulse response only makes sense in the noted case, what thinks you?

Brian Elliot, sure, i know him well and heard his system several times.
He is a speaker genius, no question.
He is not very talkative about what he does though.
Last time i visited him there was a blanked over the speakers.
He only told me that he is experimenting with omnis.
As good as it sounded there was something wrong with the phase.
The 3-D sound effects on " Amused to Death " where simply not there.
Ask Allen Perkins, he was with me.
I only hope that Brian does not take his secrets with him without telling.
He does not get younger although last time he was in pretty awesome shape.

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
Brian E. is also an expert in linear circuits and their theoretical limits as amplifying devices. This is what he studied and researched at IBM for many years. he is secretive now because some colleges at IBM took his work and published it and didnt mention Brian. So he quit and went to work for HP.
I also told him the same thing.... his knowledge shouldnt go to the grave with him.... as it wont be duplicated ever again.
He has a small class A amp he uses to drive his system and he can get extreamly low THD with just a few transistors. I begged him to let me produce it and pay him for the design/work he has done. still he would not let go of his work. yes, he will take it to his grave.

His room size and dimensions are not conducive to best sound. He would need more space around his speakers and larger room. This might have lead him towards omni research.

he and I had some great talks and i stayed over night at his place so we could continue. he said that i was one of only a hand full of people he could talk to. I appreciated hearing that... we traded secrets. That was quit awhile ago... maybe 10 years or so. I hope he lives a long time... he was very food/health conscious... so that is a good sign.
But how to get him to open up more? What a great mind and always a gentleman.
Thx- Richard

Last edited:
.... no property taxes.... unlike california.

I would think that with residential and senior exemptions, the fact that it is a federal exemption, and that reassesment is only on resale, the property taxes in CA for any long term owner occupant would be less than utility/cable bills. Even as a new owner mine were net < 0.5%/annum.

It might be cheaper but at the current exchange rate of ~40 bhat to dollar the highest marginal income tax rate in Thailand starts at ~$100,000 (35%).

Last edited:
You must know a better CPA than mine. My property tax runs 500+ USD a month. electric bill in summer is running 500-900 USD/month.... rural. They are allowed to raise rates in summer !

In low density areas, it cost a lot more.

-RM

Dick,

Let me guess you have a flat roof and it is not silver or white?

On my flat roof building I use a sprinkler that runs for a few minutes every hour during the middle of the day. As I recall evaporating 1.5 gallons of water is equal to one ton of air conditioning. My electric bill went down by $200 a month but the water bill went up by $5. Now where you live you probably aren't allowed to use water for that.

The other technique is that on an existing exhaust fan I added a controller to turn it on at night when it is cooler outside than inside. For my house I improved it to also keep the fan off if it is too humid outside. As at my house I use the bathroom exhaust fans there is also a methane detector in the bathroom that can also turn on the fans.

Of course around here we also use trees for shading. However one of the trees fell in a recent storm and took out a fence. So some of the neighbors chopped down all of their trees. This is particularly stupid as the tree roots hold hillsides in check, so at least one neighbor will be loosing their home's back wall over the next ten or twenty years.

The wise prune dead branches, remove dead trees, plant new trees and keep parasitic vines off them. But I suspect trees are out of the question for you.

I did have an uncle who surveyed the high desert in California to allow irrigation and the construction of a dam near Boulder Colorado. He had a horse and two or three mules as part of his kit. After that he went to Arizona to work on a canyon based park there. The he was "retired" and went to the middle east to survey what became Israel. He had lots of interesting stories.

Best of luck.

ES

the property taxes in CA for any long term owner occupant would be less than utility/cable bills.

My property tax runs 500+ USD a month. electric bill in summer is running 500-900 USD/month.... rural.

I'm confused are you agreeing or not, include gas (if applicable) and other expenses to that 500-900/mo. is not the later larger than the former?

Even if retired property taxes are deductible from investment income for both state and federal income tax, utiliies, etc. are not (unless business related).

You seem to have a tax to grind. :D

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
I'm confused are you agreeing or not, include gas (if applicable) and other expenses to that 500-900/mo. is not the later larger than the former?

Even if retired property taxes are deductible from investment income for both state and federal income tax, utiliies, etc. are not (unless business related).

You seem to have a tax to grind. :D

I was comparing cost to Thailand.... a lot lower than what i pay here... even with the tax reduction portion.

I take everything my CPA can get for me. But, I have to pay taxes quarterly and it isnt really so simple for me.

I am looking into solar[/U] now.... enough sunlight exposure to pay down the electricity costs (no natural gas here). I've been told i need 48 panels (!) to offset most of the utility costs.

[My utility company thinks 125 USD is a high usage amount. I should be so lucky]

I know it is the A/C system.... I have an Industrial grade 3 Tonne unit. Not a residential grade or even commercial grade. It does not help that the main room has a huge volume to heat/cool.... 18 foot ceiling at highest point.

Now a water sprinkler up on the roof does work well.... but, today i would get fined... we are in a severe drought now.

-Richard

Last edited:
The property taxes are based on the purchased price at the time of purchase. Once you buy the tax rate is locked in at that amount until it is again resold. The property taxes on my house were about $7,5000 per year on a 450K house. My parents house which they built new in the early 70's is about $1,500 per year and that house is now worth about $2,000,000 in today's market. That is how our proposition 13 works, your taxes stay the same as long as you remain with the property. you know what it will be years from now. It does go up a small amount but very slightly over time. It keeps people from being taxed out of your home, you know what your taxes are before you buy the house. I'm guessing that Richard has not been living in that condo that long by the tax rate.

Yes Scott, I think the system does work out in the long run. Some may not like it because others are not paying the same amount but it all evens out in the long run. If you are one to move houses every few years then you pay the max rate but if you intend to stay for the long run it is to your benefit. If you know going in that you can't pay the taxes then the house is to expensive for you and you know what you are getting into. My mother would have lost her home if the taxes were at the present rate, it is good for older people who don't have a rising income.

Status
Not open for further replies.