John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now I better understand what you are doing. EDM a hole in the end of a balance shaft etc. I also thought you were using it to cut gears. I was going to suggest photomachining for the gears as an alternative but this is different. Everything is smaller making it more possible to use higher frequency stuff.

I figured that sticking to 50 volts and below, with 2 maybe 3 amps max as set by a series resistor, would make the circuitry simple enough for me.

Plunge EDM can be done using a simple servo loop where the insertion velocity is determined by the average DC current of the spark. That makes the setup very easy. Making gears, as in 2-d milling, would require some smarts to drive steppers or servo's. While I do have some computers, I don't have the smarts... :D

I figure it'll be at least a year or so before I'm in a position to worry about CNC stuff.

jn

I would try to make the line going across the plane split balanced, IE coming from the DAC signal reference ground and parallel to the output(s) referencing them, with as little loop area between the line and chip as possible to minimize coupling from the ground plane. This way there is minimal mode conversion (DM to CM caused by mismatched signal and return path reactances).

The balanced line will be a long loop in the plane of the ground plane unless it is "twisted" somehow or some other method of reducing coupling is used. What about splitting the ground line into two lines on each side of the signal trace? This way it is like two balanced lines (signal traces merged in the center) with opposing loops where the loops combine to null across the ground plane.

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Copy that...

And seperate power ground plane just under the power lines.

-RM[/QUOTE

Luckily I can just remove some fill and it's done. I'll give the split GP a go.

Jan, I think Bruno's solid GP may be referring to the case where he then has a floating signal return - I need to check.

Probably not relevant for your app, as Bruno uses fully balanced circuitry and thus doesn't use the ground plane for ground returns. That's the main point of his demo project.

Jan

Do you think that inductance of PCB tracks is a better solution? (bypass capacitor returns)

I have used three isolated ground and power planes with their own regulatrs and filtering. The all digital which is carefully connected to the d/a analog and that is EMI filtered and differentialy coupled to the analog output section.

By using three systems it is easier to keep current paths clear.

Pretty easy to get around that, just refine the search a bit, by using Advanced Search: "edm discharge" in the "all these words:", "dance" in the "none of these words:" boxes - I then get a page of 100% relevant links ...

Ah, thanks. I've never used advanced google search, didn't know it existed.

I've been using the plus sign for logical refining.

Those features woulda come in handy when I was searching for epoxy preimpregnated fiberglass cloth, with "pamela anderson" in the none of these words category. I was not aware there was a following of her "before pregnancy"...:confused:

jn

Pages of interest.

This content can be found on the web, I find it useful.

I present it only for discussion, teaching, and learning.

Attribution is at the bottom of each page.

jn

Attachments

• 0404_001_Page_1.jpg
    0404_001_Page_1.jpg
    608.4 KB · Views: 303
  • 0404_001_Page_2.jpg
    0404_001_Page_2.jpg
    538.3 KB · Views: 292
  • 0404_001_Page_3.jpg
    0404_001_Page_3.jpg
    655.9 KB · Views: 294
  • 0404_001_Page_4.jpg
    0404_001_Page_4.jpg
    588.1 KB · Views: 282
Disabled Account
Joined 2012
Probably not relevant for your app, as Bruno uses fully balanced circuitry and thus doesn't use the ground plane for ground returns. That's the main point of his demo project.

Jan

yes, it is still very relevant for the power distribution. You want to concentrate the power ground and power +/- to be contained only between each other as much as possible.

THx-RNMarsh

Jn,

The second picture shows what can go wrong in connecting signal grounds, but does not offer the solution. Putzeys article in la does, for those in search of a better way. Basic setup works at any level, that is, on pcb or between components

Yup. Tom's lecture/presentation was geared towards audience Q & A. I do the same with my presentations, as I believe presenters should not simply read from the screen, but embellish. Most audience members tend to read the entire slide long before the presenter, and then they check e-mails or play angry birds until the presenter finishes reading the slide.

jn

Back in the day's of Alta Vista, even a beginner could do serious searches.
I do miss Alta Vista (I'm still a beginner)

I must admit, google scholar hasn't been very bad. I've downloaded 18 papers/articles on micro-wire edm. None of them were found using the normal google search.

Using google scholar also hit paydirt when it comes to skin effect, so many of the EM papers from the 40's and 50's are now out there to find. I used to be surprised to see what has either been forgotten, or just simply not taught in the textbooks from the 70's to today.

jn

It is obvious Google is not any more a search engine, since a long time. Just some kind of a big billboard for business.
The worse is their attempt to deliver responses selected for our profiles, established with illegal espionage methods between Internet and our Android mobiles.
The result will be we will only get answers on things we already know or Google want to sell :-(
Not to mention what they decide to censor, entire Internet quarters in some countries.
On my personal opinion, Google and his absolute power and monopolistic position is "THE ABSOLUTE ENNEMY". The worse thing that happened to our Internet utopia and our dreams to share freely the human knowledge.
Big Brother.

Last edited:
It is obvious Google is not any more a search engine, since a long time. Just some kind of a big billboard for business.
The worse is their attempt to deliver responses selected for our profiles, established with illegal espionage methods. The result will be we will only get answers on things we already know or Google want to sell :-(
On my personal opinion, Google and his absolute power and monopolistic position is "THE ABSOLUTE ENNEMY". The worse thing that happened to our Internet utopia and our dreams to share freely the human knowledge.
You are entitled to you opinion. Yes, they collect information, and yes, I'll get directed ads.

This site also does that, but I cannot tell if it is a result of google, or microsoft, or the vendors I looked at.

Bottom line, is it's free to me. Somebody is paying for it, so the price of that power is the collection of information. While I'm not sure, I suspect that somewhere in the microsoft/google disclaimers I have to click "I've read and agree" before I can install their products, is my agreement to the collection of data. I'm not going to worry about it, I just enjoy the facilities available.

It's a tradeoff.

jn

jneutron said:
I do the same with my presentations, as I believe presenters should not simply read from the screen, but embellish. Most audience members tend to read the entire slide long before the presenter, and then they check e-mails or play angry birds until the presenter finishes reading the slide.
Yes. Can we start a petition to bring back proper teaching aids like blackboards?

You are entitled to you opinion.
I think it is not my only opinion. If I refer to numerous convictions that the European court and my own country has fined Google. Google Pays the fees, but don't change his policy.
The last one: http://i.huffpost.com/gen/1610570/thumbs/o-GOOGLE-CNIL-570.jpg?3

I don't care the adds, as you said, it is a free "service". I care the content, how Google is spying on us (big data), how they violate copyrights, make profits on illegal activities. You know, Android, you tube etc ;-)

This site also does that, but I cannot tell if it is a result of google, or microsoft, or the vendors I looked at.
Same position: I don't care the adds, and... we are not allowed to make comments about the moderation.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.