John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
80% then? I do not know YOUR background, because you refuse to expose it.
I have used Wilson speakers as my reference home units since the mid 80's. Maybe, I was able, from the experience, to make better amps, than I might have made in the 70's, from this.

More like 5%. Go to the multi-way postings and have at it. I'm sure they would benefit from your "experience"

So you used a horribly designed Wilson speaker based upon it's ability to cause amps to overheat/shut down to design your amps. Couldn't you have just built a series of crossover components to simulate a Wilson impedance curve instead? Would have saved you some money. Oops a few "man months" too late now though.

Scott,
The problem with even the infinite baffle notion is that you don't truly have an infinite baffle in reality. There will always be some lower limit to the infinite baffle where it encounters a boundary condition unless you are using a ground plane measurement. Same with a speaker in a box, at lower frequencies it becomes practically omnidirectional and at high frequencies you can get small enough on the baffle to have a bounce and then a ripple from the edges of the enclosure. I know there are standards for test and comparison reasons but none of them are really perfect in any sense. Horns bring up another can of worms as the end conditions can be so different from one to another.

Well ,

No definition as to what is a "big amplifier", is it the 8ohm power rating (what amount) or it's low-z power rating. excessively steep xovers necessary to run ceramic Pistonic drivers is a big problem.
Well, my definition would be one where the voltage rails don't sag or modulate significantly under heavy load ... so, what does the weasel word "significantly" mean? Well, how "big" do you want "big" to be ...? :)

I don't design loudspeakers today, because others have exceeded what I can do. I defer to them, and why not? Yet, I have done the background learning and research, as well is building several pro speaker systems, (with others) that excelled in subjective performance, as well as objective performance. What have you done David L? Designed Bose? That is what the symptoms seem to indicate.

I don't design loudspeakers today, because others have exceeded what I can do. I defer to them, and why not? Yet, I have done the background learning and research, as well is building several pro speaker systems, (with others) that excelled in subjective performance, as well as objective performance. What have you done David L? Designed Bose? That is what the symptoms seem to indicate.

"Heck, I bet that I have more knowledge and experience than 90% of my critics here, when it comes to speaker design." Foot in mouth disease is a terrible thing.

Care to show us just what speakers you are talking about?

Haha I liked the Bose reference.Always seems that when people panic over being caught out, they use the Bose remark to try and shift the subject. Symptoms? You mean presenting valid facts instead boasting what you may or may not have done 30-40 years ago?

Carry on with your SR-1 opamp experiment, those man months are closing in.

Typical Bose customer : " This is good enough for me. I can not hear so well."

Actually I think the issue was a bit more complicated. Dr Bose understood that perception of second harmonic distortion was limited to -20 dB. So the design rule became -20 was good enough.

Now on fit and finish issues their standard is actually much higher than many manufacturers.

One time when I was visiting I mentioned to them a specific issue with one of their products. They quickly set up a test and most of those present had no trouble hearing the issue. Being smart folks they did an ab test and then switched the duts. Their in house measurement system quite clearly showed the problem in the phase plot. However they apologized for the error in their measurement system as it showed a phase shift of more than 180 degrees, which they "knew" couldn't be right.

So to me it is a case of knowing about technical issues, without the "feel" to know when to look closer.

Status
Not open for further replies.