John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
The immediate problems of phono reproduction are not necessarily low noise performance, but how the overall circuit handles the input from the phono cartridge. As most know, there is a significant amount of high frequency output that comes from a phono cartridge, especially a MC type. This must be handled with care, or you will slew rate limit, or change the subjective character of the phono reproduce signal to something more compromised than you might think. Much of our effort up until now is finding the optimized way to handle a phono cartridge, with all its 'faults' and get the best sound quality possible. Dynamic headroom is a first consideration, for example.

Understanding low noise design, in general, can be very useful. Perhaps not as useful as it once was, with analog tape recorders and phono stages, but good to know. However, it is NOT just a spec. where the lowest number gives you better sound. I have heard examples where reaching for the LOWEST measured noise, will give sonic compromises with an existing design. Now, can you have both good sound and very low noise? Yes, but it usually costs more, because it is more complex to implement (more parts, more current). Perhaps, it would be interesting to show where designers have gone wrong in the past, just for simplicity, or a lower noise spec.

Yes you can add more noise actually a studio trick but they use reverb and call it wetting the tracks

I prefer saying once the distortion products are buried in the inherent noise there is not much to be gained by reducing it further.

Ed,

There is a very fundamental misconception on your part, in that wide band noise doesn't really bury a signal. You can hear signals deep into the noise.

As a matter of fact, it may even be the opposite of what you argue, in that noise can push an unperceptible signal over the threshold of perceptibility.

Masking happens between a dominent tone and near lying frequencies at a lower level, and the effect gets less the more the two frequencies are removed from each other.

Understanding low noise design, in general, can be very useful. Perhaps not as useful as it once was, with analog tape recorders and phono stages, but good to know. However, it is NOT just a spec. where the lowest number gives you better sound. I have heard examples where reaching for the LOWEST measured noise, will give sonic compromises with an existing design. Now, can you have both good sound and very low noise? Yes, but it usually costs more, because it is more complex to implement (more parts, more current). Perhaps, it would be interesting to show where designers have gone wrong in the past, just for simplicity, or a lower noise spec.

If I may venture a guess, that would be finding the right bias for a differential input. If you make it low, noise figuires will look good, but it won't be much of a sound. If you crank it up, the noise figure will suffer by a couple of dB (VERY important for the Great Spec Game), but it will likely come on song (as if anyone cares).

As you say, you can have both, but then it costs more, and the Bean Counters won't have it.

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
I went back and modeled the cartridge/input circuit to better understand what is happening.

The sim below explains it. The inductance of the cartridge isolates the shunt of the DCR from the input resistance allowing it to rise with frequency until the shunt cap starts bringing it down. This may be a real benefit of the Barney Oliver circuit since it has an active shunt working with the inductance. Possibly lower noise? Keith Johnson does something similar in his tape head preamp.

Is that the same as 'electronic cooling' where you have an active shunt that makes the resistor noise appear much lower than one would expect from the resistance value?

jan

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
But as you spent the effort, the answer is it to a noise level of 75 dB to mask the test tone. It was later that the Fletcher Munson curves were done so that he was only looking close to the most sensitive area.

So if we have 70 dB electrical s/n and can pick things out 64 dB below that allowing for 40 dB of EQ and 15 dB of spectrum drop, then SY and everyone else will be quite confused.

So I will make a simple point. Harmonically related 2nd and 3rd order distortion are masked at levels of around 30 dB down. Other noises are masked at 60 dB down when there is energy to mask them! Thus if you are playing a note at 50 hertz and there is a tone at 4138 hertz on a system with only 60 dB of s/n you may perceive it even if it is more than 100db down!

Ed I believe if you continue you will re-invent MP3 coding ;)

Jan

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Ed,

There is a very fundamental misconception on your part, in that wide band noise doesn't really bury a signal. You can hear signals deep into the noise.

As a matter of fact, it may even be the opposite of what you argue, in that noise can push an unperceptible signal over the threshold of perceptibility.

Masking happens between a dominent tone and near lying frequencies at a lower level, and the effect gets less the more the two frequencies are removed from each other.

I have read about some psycho-acoustic tests that did just that! Have one tone masking another, then bring up the noise and Presto! the masked tone can be heard again.
Now to find that reference....
I DID post it some time ago here sometime. Wish people would read my posts and remember them :(

Jan

Yes Jan, that is much of the basis for MP3 Coding. I started by pointing out JC is doing something new and now it is a rehash of 80 year old work. So maybe we should stick to only the 40 year old stuff SY is getting really confused.

Those interested in learning more can look up masking and critical bands.

Vac I don't think you've been reading correctly. I mentioned Fletcher found it took 65db of wideband noise to mask his target tone. He and others later refined this. The issue under discussion was in the trade off between distortion and noise how do you weight things. My simple version puts distortion 60 dB below noise.

ES,
It would be much easier and nicer if you weren't playing twenty questions and just came out with what you were alluding to in the very beginning. Unless of course you don't want to reveal what it is you say that John is working on? I think things go off the rails when people are guessing what the original subject matter was supposed to be directed at and everyone starts to guess and second guess what the conversation was supposed to be about. It reminds me of a teacher asking open questions trying to get people thinking instead of teaching a specific point that the lecture was intended to be about. I have noticed you seem to like to allude to things instead of being direct. Perhaps that is just how you like to discuss things but it becomes hard to follow what becomes a back and forth guessing game. No disrespect meant here.

Status
Not open for further replies.