John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Speaking of ancient op-amps :
The ua709 (as used in the attached)
was quiet, fast, and sounded delightfull :)

Attachments

• download.jpg
    download.jpg
    7.6 KB · Views: 179
  • th.jpg
    th.jpg
    7.9 KB · Views: 181
  • th (1).jpg
    th (1).jpg
    13.8 KB · Views: 180
S = surface mount, read PD and storage temp (the only differences on SY's datasheet).

Well, not really worth wasting more time on it, but:

The 741S was a different beast to the standard 741, Much faster and higher output current, AFAIR.

It was also much more expensive.

Now, trying to google it reveals confusion!

AD shows the S as being a selected grade for guaranteed gain. Etc.

And here I ran out of the will to live - this all stuff when I was a junior oik! In this case I think JC is correct - but why is this is all getting rehashed now?

What we really need is an in depth discussion of Leclanché cells and their noise effects on clockwork gramophones.

Well, not really worth wasting more time on it, but:

The 741S was a different beast to the standard 741, Much faster and higher output current, AFAIR.

Never came across this part ever, 1970 to present. In any case the original Fairchild planar process was not capable of high output current in both directions. There is possibly some confusion with a Harris part. In any case if it was slew enhanced it was certainly not a 741 but a different circuit.

Last edited:
Here is a measurement of 1741S. It was much faster than a 741, BUT the distortion started to rise, well below the slew rate limit.

Why not, it is possible that distortion starts to rise well below the slew rate limit, depends on circuit design.

However, it is impossible to get low distortion anytime when any IC approaches and exceeds SR limit. Then, distortion is inevitable, so SR higher than that requested by input signal is a necessary condition for undistorted signal transfer. Audio designers who used to design tube circuits were mostly unaware of SR limitations, once they found them, many of them erroneously attributed these limitations to global NFB. I assume you might name some of those designers.

Status
Not open for further replies.