John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
SMT only? Also not optimal from MM, even though they all do it. The world needs a 1nV FET op-amp but the die would not fit in an 8 lead SOIC so JC's job is safe.

Yes for MM absolutely agree - would be nice.

But, a modern opamp you close enough on MC and for the MM use BF862, of which there are a few good designs that parallel them - Syn08 comes to mind, Denis Colin's approach could also be developed a bit - he used LSK389 in front of an AD797

Last edited:
Ah, but the thing is to reproduce the bite of that sound in the home! The sense of a Marshall fired up, ready to do battle, a few feet away from you, the guitarist just lightly brushes against his axe - and all sorts of high intensity scrapes, farts, whistles, audio doodlings escape from the maw of the beast, it's like a caged cat, ready to pounce ...

The sheer, grab you by the guts, rawness of that sound is what you want to be able to reproduce ...

It is a very well known brand and I dont want to make people think they should buy something else as I dont know if there are others which are similar.

-RM
I would call polar cap between opamp lazy saw that alot in 80's and 90's mix boards.
Films where too physical big and priced higher. No servos and no trimming lazy . They need more R+D in soing it dc coupled. The purpose as I was yold was to keep dc off the switches.

As part of his doctoral thesis, Ackermann researched the experience of music reproduction in the home. He conducted an experiment, setting up three systems in a room of the Frankfurt Hochschule für Musik und Darstellende Kunst (Music and Performing Arts University). The first system consisted of an analog record player, ca $4800, and a tube pre- and triode power-amp combination worth ca $4500 (hereinafter called the analog system). The second system substituted a respected CD player, ca $2400, which has been well reviewed worldwide, including in the pages of Stereophile, but retained the tube amps. The third system kept the CD player but was powered by a transistor pre-/power combination worth ca $11,000 (hereinafter called the digital system).

Some of you will have noticed that there was one long-term test subject: the student who accompanied the participants during their time in the listening room. The poor girl had to listen to the above-mentioned pieces 159 times! At the end of the experiment, she asked Ackermann what the systems were. She said she couldn't stand the sound of one of the systems anymore, feeling physically attacked by its sound. By now, it won't surprise you that the system in question turned out to be the CD/solid-state one.
Are there any better details of the systems employed ?.

Dan.

That's what concerts and earplugs are for.:)
For me, if earplugs are required it's junk sound - heard enough of that to never want to get close to it again ... and you don't need concerts to get that, the stage production of Phantom of the Opera I saw was largely ruined by a grubby PA that went into semi-meltdown on every big note.

Typical concert sound is not grab you in the guts, it's far closer to having thick porridge fired from a high pressure hose into your ear drum - for some strange reason this doesn't turn me on ...

I did not find Ackermanns thesis on the web but i found this :God is in the Nuances | Stereophile.com
Nice find ... just started reading it, like this bit:

It seems that much of the high-end sound experience is just that: an experience of sound, not of music-generated emotion, and that many expensive high-end systems are not one iota better at generating a musical experience than all those down-market systems.

I find quite peculiar those systems which are supposedly 'hyper-revealing' - like the chap who turns a 1,000 watt spotlight onto his girlfriend's face and then inspects every pore of her skin from a distance of 2 inches - hmmm, when did I say you were beautiful ...

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
I did not find Ackermanns thesis on the web but i found this :God is in the Nuances | Stereophile.com
Here Markus Sauer made some refferences to the Ackermann research.
Markus is a friend of mine and i can ask him if he knows how to get the paper.
I also know that Ackermanns results where discussed here in germany in several magazines some years ago.

Thanks Joachim, I would really be interested in it.

Jan

Status
Not open for further replies.