John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is a web site from Song Kim

Stereopal.com - McIntosh Factory Tour

and shares a secret from a visit to McIntosh plant that caught my attention…

“ATTENTION COPY CATS !
Listen up: this is the secret ingredient,

McIntosh puts melted Chocolate into their transformer to make ‘em sound better. Better start calling Cadbury.”

What do you make on this?
More likely it's liquid epoxy resin. Could be brown colour.

MBL 6010D, yet another big $$$ preamp full of 8-legs and this one $25,000. So Boulder and MBL how do they do it? They get good reviews from the usual suspects.

I never knew about these folks, I'm used to seeing "no IC's" about first or second in the design philosophy section near a comment about little or no feedback.

The MBL 6010D uses AD797 ICs. I believe the volume potentiometer is made by Penny and Giles. The power supply is a discrete regulated design. They originally used metal film resistors from Beyschlag type MBB0207. I think is sounds good.

He has some very strange ideas and I think he is in the same boat as Frank, says a lot of things that make no sense at all.
No sense? Interesting, from my POV I see plenty of strange talk about mystical parts, and ultra special speaker drivers, perfectly manicured to deliver magic sound ... :)

Most people in audio have heard outstanding sound at some point or other, but unlike most I don't ascribe this to magical happenings, super esoteric components or unobtainable kit. I was fortunate enough to achieve this myself, on very ordinary gear. Now, being a logical kind of guy I reasoned that if I could this once then I can do it any number of times - and, the universe being reasonably consistent, :), that has proved to the case.

So, rather then trying for the n'th variation of ordinary, uninteresting hifi sound I've been pursuing an understanding of the criteria that leads to impressive, convincing reproduction. Very frustrating a lot of the time, but very satisfying when everything falls into place.

I have to admit there is another motive for talking about such matters - I'm sick to death of crappy PA sound, I gave up going to live shows, musicals and such years ago because the sound quality was such a turnoff - I want to enjoy the experience, not suffer through it. So my, probably silly, hope is that talking about such matters will get it through a few thick skulls that there is a better way ...

a.wayne, this is the other side of the JC-1 story, and why we were able to make award winning products after 2000. This was a fax from me to Richard (the guy in the JC-1 discourse), in the year 2000.

Attachments

• amp voicing 2000.jpg
    amp voicing 2000.jpg
    402.2 KB · Views: 218
Last edited:
fully gimbaled vinyl setup.

Minus the gyro, I made a damped one for a TT on a full-time liveaboard.

(Total revamped 66ft ex-commercial inland vessel from 1905, renamed to Inshallah. Owner was in his 70s when he switched from shore to ship living, I've monitored the conversion from the grid blast and welding till the design/installation of the electric switchboard)

But it shouldn't be another story altogether ... from my POV there should be a continuum, from good home audio through to the most powerful PA's - the only variation should be the maximum SPLs the setup is capable of. Extreme sound levels means that the battle then turns to controlling intrinsic noise levels - which is not a problem when the spacing is that of PA systems.

25 years ago I heard a PA that took my breath away, it truly delivered 'magic' sound, vastly superior to essentially all, including ultra expensive, home audio - dynamics, clarity, zero audible distortion. So at least a few had, have the knowledge, expertise to get it right...

Last edited:
John,
I don't know if you had anything to do with the HCA1200 Parasound amps but I have two of those, one with toasted output devices, my fault, and another that has worked for years. I must say they seem well built and have plenty of output devices and I have never seen one overheat, but at the same time I prefer the sound of an old Harman Kardan over the Parasound though it has much less power and isn't built as well. The H/K has ridiculously undersized heatsinks and only a few output devices but it just sings. So perhaps the note you just put up accounts for the Voicing you are talking about, the Parasound just sounds lifeless.

Frank,
There have always been so many bad PA systems and many times it can be the speakers themselves or just an engineer with tin ears. There are some really good PA speakers out there but they cost big money and have to be connected to a well designed amplification system and all the other outboard equipment. We aren't even talking about some of the terrible mixing consoles out there, if the board is crappy sounding it doesn't matter what you do after that. PA is as much an art as a science, I have a brother in-law who can walk up to the console and change a few settings and it sounds like a different system, it really has so much to do with the engineer.

Status
Not open for further replies.