John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Still doing some construction in the mancave, trimmed out the staircase for carpet last weekend. That part is neat, I think the DS shows how little thermal distortion there is too. They make it trivial to monitor supply current sense resistors even off of large supplies or output stage error voltage at full output even at 100V rms!

Sigh, life gets in the way. I had to repair my dehumidifier. That's the second appliance I took apart only to find that a solder joint failed. Seems to be a plague, a relay pin through a pc board had the meniscus break near the lead. It's not in a temp cycle environment, I'm wondering if the darn solder was lead free.

jn

Curious how data generated for thin films is extrapolated to bulk applications...

Just look at the differences in properties between... say, the various allotropes of phosphorous, or... obviously... carbon (graphite, diamond, graphene, fullerenes,Lonsdaleite etc.)

Misappropriation of measurements and observations of physical / mechanical / electromagnetic properties of thin film and quantum-effect nano materials vs. macro properties at bulk scales is disingenuous at least, and in most cases simply fraudulent phoney pseudoscience.

Last edited:
Folks, I know that many here do not believe in much of what I do, but I TRY to find REASONS for why what many of us know that break-in is important. Trust me, I HATE break-in, but many of my designs need it, especially the JC-1 power amp. I am actively trying to design it out of the amp, or at least speed up the process. This is what I do, and why I win awards for my dedication to these sorts of details.
The CTC Blowtorch also took weeks of break-in to be right, and we attributed that to the silver connecting wire that we used. When I switched to copper connecting wire, break-in was quicker, BUT the sound changed also.
When it comes to the more esoteric aspects to audio electronics design, I have tried to bring them to the surface here on this thread, but to a lot of problems with many here. I will just continue to make stuff the best that I can.

Pavel, it is an interesting design idea, not sure how it would compare in efficiency to a tradition permanent magnet design with a standard voicecoil.

Several pieces were built. I heard it, in combination with a standard big bass driver. Compared to conventional design, it was cleaner and more natural. But, it was rather impractical, you needed about 400Vdc polarization bias voltage.

Last edited:
www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
I worked at an industrial electronics company for many years. We hired a lot of experienced quality and manufacturing professionals from overseas. One of the first things they did was install a big burn in oven in our facility. About 10 to 15 percent of stuff off the production line had problems initially - mainly solder joints etc. The feedback we got from the burn in failures helped us get our quality up. We went from 'inspecting it in' to 'building it in'. Of course, there were a lot of other initiatives as well, but that one impressed me the most.

I worked at an industrial electronics company for many years. We hired a lot of experienced quality and manufacturing professionals from overseas. One of the first things they did was install a big burn in oven in our facility. About 10 to 15 percent of stuff off the production line had problems initially - mainly solder joints etc. The feedback we got from the burn in failures helped us get our quality up. We went from 'inspecting it in' to 'building it in'. Of course, there were a lot of other initiatives as well, but that one impressed me the most.

I assume an amplifier burnt in to failure would not sound better. When processes were less robust burn-in for offset and Ib were required, but they got worse or better.

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
I did/do the same thing.... burn-in and power cycling on-off for days and temp cycling and then the final bias setting. You've just got to do it.... no matter what. better you found the early crib-death ones than a customer.

-RM

Depending on the resolution of your system (including speakers).... there can be a noticable change in sound character at first turn-on to final burn-in/cycling period. Eventually, the sound stablizes and doesnt change anymore except the first few seconds/minutes after turn on. A good amount of it had to do, IMO, to electrolytic caps not being fully formed or annealed at the factory.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.