John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Again, this is way off any really useful subject matter.

So linearity of components isn't useful??
If JN wants to write a treatise on coil winding, I would be glad to read it,

I have done so, but I'm afraid you would never understand it.

but this piecemeal criticism doesn't do much.
hmm..a discussion of the non-linearity issues related to fabrication of inductors typical of passive speaker crossovers is now called "piecemeal criticism":confused:

Gee, what's it called when we discuss resistance??? Futile??

jn

Try me, JN, you might be surprised! '-)

No, I wouldn't be surprised. My expectation is that you would understand less than half the concepts involved.

Ultrasonic welding, matched expansion epoxy, 11 dimension motion control, multi-dimensional spacial remapping, quench propagation, multipole harmonic generation via circular modulation, ramp rate quench effects, current crowding within a superconductor, triple R...to name some of the simpler things.

What I do everyday is so chock full of high falutin concepts, buzzwords, and acronyms, that normal conversation really doesn't exist here..:eek: (nor does a readable CV/resume exist here.):(

What I can do, is discuss here the stuff that really matters in audio, and feed down stuff that I larned in da course of my work. What I've been posting here about inductor non-linearity is a simple subset of the stuff I have to deal with.

Edit: Oh, and ps..iron core inductors for high end may be a step up if air core solid wire coils were used, it depends on so many details. Of course, that is engineering detail oriented, which you do not like. You've stated that you only want to discuss the 'concept' sans detail.

jn

Last edited:
Nothing wrong with teaching others, just make sure that you line up your remarks so that they are effective. I find your remarks almost random.
You do understand that while my remarks may appear to you to be either random or magic (Arthur C Clarke), they are not.

If you wish to understand the magnetics, either pick up a good book, or ask questions. I've no problem answering them. In fact, quite a few people here can help you understand.

jn

OK, JN, I did not know that your work was 'classified'.

It is not classified per se. It is however, proprietary in that I cannot divulge some of the concepts. We have an edge, and no reason to give it away.

The concepts I discuss on this forum however, are my personal IP. As such, I can give it to all freely, and help steer others to duplication of results.

jn

My goodness, people using iron core inductors. Not with hi end!

Worse, some butt up coils on wafer thin boards in 100K+ speakers :) Laminate core , only in the bass and at power levels 50% below saturation, never on the mid-range , foil or aircore only. Non linearity in AC, means plenty testing back and forth , Foils are completely different and will require different approach...

Attachments

• magicomundorfxover.jpg
    magicomundorfxover.jpg
    143.2 KB · Views: 217
Worse, some butt up coils on wafer thin boards in 100K+ speakers :) Laminate core , only in the bass and at power levels 50% below saturation, never on the mid-range , foil or aircore only. Non linearity in AC, means plenty testing back and forth , Foils are completely different and will require different approach...

From the looks of it, that wafer thin pc board has lots of copper on the back. The coils flat to the board will have lower inductance and will go resistively non linear at close to half or a third of the intended crossover frequency.

Sheesh, don't they read Maxwell, or even lenz?

jn

Joined 2002
Paid Member
Thanks for the information, about this one i´ve never heard before.
There were similar observations reported by Newell and Holland:
http://www.edn.com/Pdf/ViewPdf?contentItemId=4015821
I hope Richard conducted his tests in a proper way, as these gentlemen certainly did theirs in the wrong way.
Their problem shows in Fig. 6.10 d and for me is verified by Fig. 6.10f .
The measurements at the loudspeaker input terminals show a HF signal much stronger than the (to be) measured signal, the former modulated by the later.
These seem to be HF signals picked by the loop formed from the speaker cable return and the measurement instrument(s) ground connection (power feed cable).
Just compare Fig.6.10b (RG59 coaxial, proper connection) to Fig. 6.10f (RG59 coaxial with screen to hot and core to ground).
The worsening of the signal at the loudspeaker input terminals is much exaggerated (or created) by improper test set-up.
These engineers don’t even consider the possibility of creating a loop while testing, let alone measure loop area and try to minimize it.
The HF noise shows on all measurements, see the ripples riding over the square waves. They should have tried to measure the strength of it in the first place.

Note on competence: See also Fig. 6.16. They simply state: “Vertical scale not calibrated”.
How one can validate what they show? How many db/div?

Publish or perish. :(

Some content of TV transmitters, in expected level. But NOTHING in audio band or near audio band. When I see such results as in that paper I am skeptical and I am asking: was their test gear in a good condition? Did not they make some fatal setup mistake? Are the authors experienced enough to distinguish between measured phenomenon and measurement error? I assume, that if the plots as shown in the paper were usual, much more similar measurements from different authors would appear.
I live ~5km away from radio FM and TV transmitting antennas.
In my cave the noise level across 1MHz-200MHz picked by a 2m horiz wire into 1Mohm/20pf is flat –52dBV.
The noise level across 100kHz-200MHz picked by a 36m loop wire into 1Mohm/20pf is flat –54dBV.
All these are ~20dbV above the noise floor shown with instrument's input shorted at the BNC .

JN I too double checked the page presented. I found it about 3 times LESS than the prediction of the skin depth. How can this be? Of course, I did NOT generate the table, I got it from a Google search.

American Wire Gauge table and AWG Electrical Current Load Limits with skin depth frequencies and wire strength

George

Status
Not open for further replies.