John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like x or y, which do I like best?

Of course the most pleasant one at the first impression... Then you'll give after for the crowd and the champions and you start to be untrue to yerself... There we go again - I'll probably will be kicked out again.
The Gurus are the Gurus - they attribute most to the site! Not neccesarily what you are searching for as an individual - but most gain.

Sorry and Regards

I generally don't listen much, anymore. I DID have to listen to the IC based JC-3 before it was released, AND I had to make some changes, both in IC type and materials used in construction of the case.
Like PMA, I find that virtually all modern IC's sound different, so I HAD to listen, and so I did.
Almost all of my design is based on good topology, EXPERIENCE in what works OK, and care in selecting the parts used. Then I have to get pretty good measurements as well. I leave the LISTENING to others, and UNLESS I make a real mistake, I have been successful with my product designs over the decades.

I generally don't listen much, anymore. I DID have to listen to the IC based JC-3 before it was released, AND I had to make some changes, both in IC type and materials used in construction of the case.
Like PMA, I find that virtually all modern IC's sound different, so I HAD to listen, and so I did.
Almost all of my design is based on good topology, EXPERIENCE in what works OK, and care in selecting the parts used. Then I have to get pretty good measurements as well. I leave the LISTENING to others, and UNLESS I make a real mistake, I have been successful with my product designs over the decades.

Hmm - over and out... Who have the biggest craniums?

Good tread - listen more all - others enjoy to create - build the good ideas - skip the idols if they doesn't deliver in a to humans clear way. Social appoinments can be handled somewhere else. As this would dramatically lower the income for this site I will probably be kicked out again... But my idea is the best sound to all diyers to the money yoy are prepared to pay for it. So snakeoil might be s good thing for the site - yeah - give me the experience first - if I like it I might buy it. Bye for now.

Simple as that / Regards
Regards

Last edited:
digging into JC's assertions without some skin in the game, He has proven his position by putting up in real world application.

Is their a chip pre on the market, done the way you would like ....?

JC's worst assertions have little to do with discrete vs IC.

You would have to be pretty close minded to dismiss all the threads here on chip-pres and chip-amps there are also plenty of commercial ones. There are many happy owners just as there are many happy owners of Quads and Magnepan's and of course toooobes or things with trannies.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
The trouble with cheaper gear is that seemingly 'borderline' recordings will have all their negative attributes strongly emphasised - it will require major conditioning, and fine adjusting of the PC's environment to extract the best reproduction, to do this properly. As a parallel example, listening to a current, highly compressed pop recording on this machine would be heavy going, unless I went through this full ritual ...

Cheaper gear ! cheap !!! I paid two crisp English tens for that one :D

Cheaper gear ! cheap !!! I paid two crisp English tens for that one :D
I'll try giving it a go today, :) ...

No fiddling with DBT for this, :p - foobar just downright irritates me, the NVH guys went on holidays when this was being developed - and the ABX module degrades the sound just enough to make using it a background annoyance to the procedure.

Interesting that the very tools that have great potential to be genuinely useful in this area, are poorly done in enough ways to be aggravating to use - I'm thinking of DiffMaker here, which has to be the worst piece of software I've experienced in many years.

Status
Not open for further replies.