John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
reverse engineering has always been legal as "common law" - only the absurd overreaching by software/media companies in DCMA has tried to change this

that's why patents exist - your only protection if your innovation can be discovered by inspecting legally purchased product

Last edited:
Comming back to component choices the Fraunhofer Institute has released what they call
a silizium-carbite power transistor. They claim 50% less loss, very high speed and overload margin and temperature stabilty up to 600° celsius. The first amp with that transistor is the Progressive Audio A2. It is a 2 x 100W Class A integrated. It is also claimed that this transistor is mechanically very tough. I spare you the rave about the sound. SiC has a tetrahedric structure found in nature only in metheorites and vulcanic stone. It was used before as grinding powder. It´s Mohs hardness is 9.6 .

Well, the Infineons are diodes and not transistors. I do not use MP3 much but it is the de facto standart even for musicians. A have a little band and we where searcing for a produces. The producer wanted the music on MP3 to listen in it´s car! That´s a matter of fact. Music for the masses is on MP3. I have not heard before that Frauenhofer has a queationable reputation.....For the majority of people MP3 sounds as good as CD. Not for me but when the bitrate is high enough i could fool you in a double blind test. As far as i know Fraunhofer has also much better algorithms but MP3 got famous. Masking is an intesting concept i think.
What is the crossover frequency and what do you like to crosover rrbadrike ?

> Not sure who is first ......

It was just a neutral remark / question, and not an accusation.

Someone is selling the SemiSouth for much less than 50USD at the forum.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/vendors-bazaar/164271-semisouth-sic-jfet-16-pc-shipping-now.html

I think the lower distortion comes from the much higher transconductance, much like UHC Mosfets (which costs much less, albeit difficult to get).

And with them asking for 20k Euro for a A2 (not even monoblocks) :

Progressive Audio A2 MKII - Vollverstärker - LOFTSOUND Hifi High-End Studio

one can afford quite a few JFETs from SemiSouth.

For me, paralleling 400 small signal JFETs sounds more fun.

Schönen Gruß,
Patrick

Last edited:
I found an interesting resistor. It is a low noise precsssion thin film from Tantatum Nitride.

My measurement on the Tan film chip from Mouser showed pretty good performance at 1/4 rated power but much worse as power increased. I suspect they are good for higher values of resistance (10K or more) than most others, but for lower values I would try metal film in larger case sizes.

If anyone wishes to turn this into a PDF they have my permission for this site only.

Attachments

• Tan Film Chip 7.9 Volt.doc
    76.5 KB · Views: 219
Without actually doing the work I suspect there is a direct relationship between Rds on and capacitance whether in a single device or an array. Power dissipation would be the big hurdle.

Yes, there is a definate gm/C relationship that depends on process. I think the problem is just the huge C limits the applications. I have found the BF862 and 2SK222 to be the best I can find. I was told the 2SK222 is still in production and available in TO-92 for those that can not deal with SOT-23. It outdoes the 2SK170 in any low current application at 8pF for 10mS @ 1mA.

Status
Not open for further replies.