John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
BTW you misinterpret several of those plots, the thermal problems are gull wing in shape (you know thermodynamics no negative heat here). Several of those plots are simply the beta roll-off of 40 year old lateral pnp technology. Come on folks is this about high-end or JC sitting around the campfire with his posse spinning yarns?
Err, Campfire ...:)

We wondered where you all were :D

Here's another fun one, hardly cutting edge but fun non the less.
Purely Subjective Test

and there is another set of files available by pm only. Whether you could detect any audible difference on those would be very interesting.

I will give both a shot and report ............

BZZZT! Right there you see a huge problem- that's much larger than a just noticeable difference (~0.1-0.2dB, depending on listener and source material).

How many can tell 1db difference , what about a pause when switching, allowed...?

We wondered where you all were :D

Here's another fun one, hardly cutting edge but fun non the less.
Purely Subjective Test

and there is another set of files available by pm only. Whether you could detect any audible difference on those would be very interesting.
Just to say that the pm bunch are intrinsically "harder" because of the "poorer quality" of them - sorry, Karl! - the differences are there, but my listening setup needs to be running at a high quality level to precisely pinpoint 'why'.

What some don't get is that technical aspects or differences between the samples mean a big fat zero, in picking what counts. If you listen to a competent pianist, on two slightly different pianos, it's the tonal, harmonic subtleties that register, a 'gestalt' of the sound builds up that says one is better, or whatever, than the other.

The ability to pick the crucial elements can be learnt - an audio friend when I first met him was almost completely oblivious to what was happening in the sound that made it "bad" or "good" - over a period of time, by focusing on passages that made it obvious he learnt what to listen for, the key indicators that give the game away. The overall consistency of his sound is now so much greater, because he can now suss out a dropping off in quality quite easily ...

I just looked up John Curl and his amplifiers.

It takes a big pair to charge those kind of dollars for this kind of technology.

All the power to him I suppose.
Which amplifiers?

In general, John gets paid to design circuits. He doesn't choose the selling price of the amplifiers, nor does he pocket the profits.

The Blowtorch was an exception, but apparently there wasn't much profit with that project anyway.

The ranged in price from $4,000-$20,000. (I assumed it was the "Blowtorch" and Parasound JC-1)

It's a shame he does not participate in the profits, because apparently his amplifiers have some appeal, at least from a marketing standpoint. Realistically he designed some of them quite some time ago, assuming for a one time fee. Yet his name is used as a feature on the Parasound website.

Licensing fees or royalties might be prudent in future designs, but then again not everything is about money they say.

Would it be rude of me to ask if these units or worth the chingaling?

Since we seem to be back to cables again I have a question. Is there any advantage to using a twisted pair plus ground wire if needed in a power cable? Is there really any reason to worry about this before the power supply as the wires in the walls are either parallel wires in a metal conduit or parallel wires in Romex type cable? Just wondering if this helps in anyway before the power supply and any PSRR?
Skipping back a couple of days.

"Ground Loops: The Rest of the Story"

Bill Whitlock, AES Fellow and Jamie Fox, P.E.

This paper was presented at the AES 129th Convention, 4-7 November 2010, San Francisco, CA, USA

ABSTRACT

The mechanisms that enable so-called ground loops to cause well-known hum, buzz, and other audio system
noise problems are well known. But what causes power-line related currents to flow in signal cables in the first
place? This paper explains how magnetic induction in ordinary premises AC wiring creates the small voltage
differences normally found among system ground connections, even if “isolated” or “technical” grounding is
used. The theoretical basis is explored, experimental data shown, and an actual case history related. Little
has been written about this “elephant in the room” topic in engineering literature and apparently none in the
context of audio or video systems. It is shown that simply twisting L-N pairs in the premises wiring can
profoundly reduce system noise problems.

http://xa.yimg.com/kq/groups/20963848/268252969/name/Whitlock-Fox+-+Ground+Loops+.pdf

How many can tell 1db difference

1dB or 10dB is irrelevant for those with good ears.

1dB is critical (especially so in ABX) for those with bad ears.

The question is, what are you trying to do: 1) gathering every men with bad ears on the street and test them whether they can hear or not. 2) gathering every good ears and ask for their feedback about circuit sounds.

Speedskater,
Thanks for that paper. I'll read it. It looks like something that JN and SW have covered in detail more than once but it is nice to have a paper to read. As far as twisting wires in a conduit that can be a real drag if you have ever pulled wires, hard enough to just pull them untwisted some times depending on wire gauge. And those newer house constructions are almost all Romex these days so that would be impossible unless someone has a new type of construction I haven't seen.

They also have a patent application, but it's painful to read.

Patent application title: Power Cable with Twisted and Untwisted Wires to Reduce Ground Loop Voltages
Inventors: Jamie M. Fox (Martinez, CA, US) William E. Whitlock (Oxnard, CA, US)
IPC8 Class: AH01B1106FI
USPC Class: 174 34
Class name: Anti-inductive structures conductor transposition conduit or cable structure
Publication date: 2012-05-03
Patent application number: 20120103646

Read more: Power Cable with Twisted and Untwisted Wires to Reduce Ground Loop Voltages - Patent application

Power Cable with Twisted and Untwisted Wires to Reduce Ground Loop Voltages - Patent application

I just looked up John Curl and his amplifiers.

It takes a big pair to charge those kind of dollars for this kind of technology.

All the power to him I suppose.

Then put up your work for peer review .... :rolleyes:

Anyone with normal hearing. it will not necessarily manifest as a level change.

I would challenge you on that, 5 second break before switching ....

The ranged in price from $4,000-$20,000. (I assumed it was the "Blowtorch" and Parasound JC-1)

It's a shame he does not participate in the profits, because apparently his amplifiers have some appeal, at least from a marketing standpoint. Realistically he designed some of them quite some time ago, assuming for a one time fee. Yet his name is used as a feature on the Parasound website.

Licensing fees or royalties might be prudent in future designs, but then again not everything is about money they say.

Would it be rude of me to ask if these units or worth the chingaling?

Sounds juvenile Penny.....

1dB or 10dB is irrelevant for those with good ears.

1dB is critical (especially so in ABX) for those with bad ears.

The question is, what are you trying to do: 1) gathering every men with bad ears on the street and test them whether they can hear or not. 2) gathering every good ears and ask for their feedback about circuit sounds.

Switching back and forth , yeah, take a 5 -20 second break and then tell me which is louder, very difficult ...

Status
Not open for further replies.