John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Disabled Account
Joined 2012
Less IS more --

I agree with JC -- the best recorded sound I have heard is from master tapes... which got me into recording my own performances of local Bay area groups. Huge difference between LP or CD source and a master tape. [Havent tried master digital..... no reason to think it would not be as good.] Second best sound is HD from downloads off of a master recording.

So what ever is left out of the processing path is what messes things up the most. Even Direct to Disk LP was a big improvement.
Less IS more. Less system distortion.

Thx-RNMarsh

Last edited:
a.wayne said:
I'm pointing out one requires miles of electronic processing before there's music
But that processing is required to ensure that the bits entering your DAC are precisely the same bits as those leaving the ADC in the studio. All this processing is on your side! It is not manipulating the sound - it is preserving the sound. If the word 'processing' alarms you then find a better word. If there are problems with CD then the one place where it is certain they do not lie is the 'electronic processing'.

If you can point me to some reliable ears-only level-matched experimental results that show audibility of a 16/44 DAC/ADC (one designed by engineers to have flat frequency response!) inserted in a vinyl-based analog stream, I'd appreciate it.

And if he don´t he does not get your approval to listen to anything else but CD ?

Do you ever listen to classical music ? Do you have neighbours ?
It is not unusual to do some "gain riding" at home in such cases,
on parts that are "pianissimo" you get probably 10bits or so.
(It might well be that this resolution is even detectable in DBT which
otherwise has no similarity with the typical listening situation.)

And if he don´t he does not get your approval to listen to anything else but CD ?

That's an odd reading. If he doesn't bother to do basic experiments to validate or falsify his technical claims, then there's nothing to discuss, we're in the realm of religion, not audio technology.

Do you ever listen to classical music ? Do you have neighbours ?
It is not unusual to do some "gain riding" at home in such cases

Yes, yes, and no I don't, in that order. Though I'm struggling to understand the relevance.

I agree with JC -- the best recorded sound I have heard is from master tapes... which got me into recording my own performances of local Bay area groups. Huge difference between LP or CD source and a master tape. [Havent tried master digital..... no reason to think it would not be as good.] Second best sound is HD from downloads off of a master recording.

So what ever is left out of the processing path is what messes things up the most. Even Direct to Disk LP was a big improvement.
Less IS more. Less system distortion.

Thx-RNMarsh

Less is always more and yes master anything will always produce the best sound...

No it´s more in "the realm of religion" if you think nothing that produces a null result in a basic DBT is allowed to be discussed.

In terms of technical claims, they stand or fall on data. No amount of evasion, foot-stamping, proclamation, sneering, or name-calling changes that. Preferences are a different matter- if one prefers a noisy, high distortion medium with mediocre pitch stability and poor durability, that's up to the individual.

I find a baseball bat efficacious in such situations. Perhaps a cricket bat will do as well for those of you in more benighted lands.

We Irish use a hurley-stick- even if the neighbours are silent!

Attachments

• swf+hurling.jpg
    swf+hurling.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 245
if one prefers a noisy, high distortion medium with mediocre pitch stability and poor durability, that's up to the individual.

You must be talking about your tube amp, whats acceptable distortion Sy,?

* Bandwidth,
* slew rate,
* microphonics...

Post up data showing your amp distortion vs power sy, 8 ohm tap 4 ohm load , yes i guess you also like a noisy medium .

:rofl:

fas42 said:
. . . to get readings that correlate with what some ,, people hear when listening ...
You mean "what some people believe they hear". This belief may be sincere, but if it remains unsubstantiated it is hardly surprising that no corresponding measurements exist. To establish new, better measurements would require careful tests to find correlations between measurements and perceived sound - this can't happen if the perceptions keep disappearing whenever a white coat is in the room.

Post up data showing your amp distortion vs power sy, 8 ohm tap 4 ohm load , yes i guess you also like a noisy medium .

Since I don't attach 4 ohm loads to 8 ohm taps, that measurement would be a waste of my time. If you're curious, you can build the design and measure it. The "8 watt" stuff was pulled out of your nether regions and has no relationship to reality. Out of curiosity, have you ever designed anything? Even a volume control knob?

I've published the S/N of my amp- it's -85dB, unweighted, 20Hz-20kHz, noise floor better than -100dB. As a practical matter, Jan Didden had his ear right up against the speaker and thought the power was off. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.