John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have in several places here. I did it in my basement so it must be over three years ago and posted it here. They were pictures of taking any two, unmatched FET pairs as an op-amp input and trimming both offset to 0 and OLG to infinite at the same time. You could just as well trim offset and TC to 0 with a little more work. Your hand matched FET's are only matched in 1 dimension. I demonstrated at BA that FET's with as much as 100mV offset, after trim, do not have extra 2nd harmonic distortion. The trims are relatively cheap and virtually all commercial modules used them even after starting with matched pairs.

If you want Linear Systems to succeed in selling FET's it does not help to have threads where a bag of 50 NOS Toshiba's only yield 2 sets of matched quads and applying the same logic.
Those are two different thing . 1 real world production and the trimming need to make a lot of them and the one off that diy do . The difference be a 14k crate motor and a 56k hand built race motor . The 14k crate motor will be more repeatable and more reliable same here. Diyers often time miss the big picture for all the small dots. My luck must be better managed 12 matched pairs out of 20 pairs purchased .

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
If you want Linear Systems to succeed in selling FET's it does not help to have threads where a bag of 50 NOS Toshiba's only yield 2 sets of matched quads and applying the same logic.

:):cool:

With the new LS jfets becoming more and more available, there is no reason to try to find any NOS types or ever use those older Toshiba types again for anything. Is there? They seem to be a better part.

-RNM

Last edited:
Piano's work for me , a table with high drift will destroy the sound of a piano, a proper servo controlled table should not have this issue .

Todays Turntables with Drift of such an amount are not worth the money, no matter what they cost.

But a lot of the speed variations come from the records themself, some are warped , some are excentric, some are both.
Turntables with soft suspension also cause more such problems due chassis resonance.
High mass platters with precise bearings avoid many difficulties of this kind

Often the effectice tonearm mass and cartridge compilance are not well matched , so they amplify wow and flutter due wrong resonance point.

Very short tonarms in tangentials system cause more problems with warped records and thus the speed stability .

I don't know what everyone is parsing about:
ONE REASON that I never personally published the Vendetta Research Schematics is BECAUSE THEY TAKE EXTENSIVE MATCHING TO MAKE. Most amateurs will get it wrong, and fail.
Now it must be understood that in the beginning, perhaps 30 years ago, Toshiba introduced its super low noise complementary matched pair of jfets. These were the 2Sk146 and the 2SJ73. A 'parts-pair' of them might have cost $5 then, quite a bargain for what you got, even though that might be $15 in today's currency due to inflation.
IT MUST BE REMEMBERED that I was designing a WORLD CLASS product, not something just for local consumption. It had to EXCEL in its performance, and this takes both time and money. While I still have hundreds of these parts, they are almost impossible to buy on the open market. I bought my devices over the last 20 years, anyone could have gotten a decent stockpile to work from if they had wanted to, or at least, parallel combinations of something similar . Matching is relatively easy with this design, the servo takes up the 'slack', to give a virtual DC output.

I'm more concerned concerned with "jitter", translating even the best tables to CD terms is rather eye opening (so to speak) ;). I might be able to repeat the experiment with a Thorens TD160 is that good enough? Is there anyone who would try this with an SP10 and make the files available, just a couple of minutes with a few seconds of noisy leadin groove should do it.

BTW there are Fourrier techniques for file alignment that essentially use the entire file at once. They use them in speckle imaging of double stars. And then there's diffmaker.

The 160 is not servo controlled and has a light weight platter , speed stability will be an issue if comparing. What is of importance is how much flutter is necessary before it becomes unacceptable.

Those are two different thing . 1 real world production and the trimming need to make a lot of them and the one off that diy do . The difference be a 14k crate motor and a 56k hand built race motor . The 14k crate motor will be more repeatable and more reliable same here. Diyers often time miss the big picture for all the small dots. My luck must be better managed 12 matched pairs out of 20 pairs purchased .

Crate motor will not be more reliable racing .....

Todays Turntables with Drift of such an amount are not worth the money, no matter what they cost.

But a lot of the speed variations come from the records themself, some are warped , some are excentric, some are both.
Turntables with soft suspension also cause more such problems due chassis resonance.
High mass platters with precise bearings avoid many difficulties of this kind

Often the effectice tonearm mass and cartridge compilance are not well matched , so they amplify wow and flutter due wrong resonance point.

Very short tonarms in tangentials system cause more problems with warped records and thus the speed stability .

Yes and with that all of that it still survived the CD with it's miles of electronic buggery before any audio is heard. I guess digitiatis is more offensive than flutter ...

;)

:):cool:

With the new LS jfets becoming more and more available, there is no reason to try to find any NOS types or ever use those older Toshiba types again for anything. Is there? They seem to be a better part.

-RNM

There are some issues that have shown up that might make literal drop in difficult in some of these no/minimal feedback circuits, but I think we can work through it.

A good start, build post #43907 with sockets and measure. I suspect the differences are minimal. I also suspect the ears only crowd will ignore us in any case.

Last edited:
Those are two different thing . 1 real world production and the trimming need to make a lot of them and the one off that diy do.

The point is the results are the same or even better with the trim.

I do realize there is a ritual to doing it the other way. I learned that best from some Japanese friends who pointed out the similarity between the tea ceremony and how some of them approached their personal hobbies.

Last night there was a tv documentary of middle school kids, 12-15 more or less, extensively studying CHESS, sometimes to neglecting their schoolwork, unless they are reminded. Why CHESS? Are riches obtainable from it? Will their future boss be impressed? etc.
NO, the reason that a kid might voluntarily study chess extensively is because they might find that they are very good at playing it, and come to realize that they might be 'champions' someday, if they really apply themselves. It has to turn into a 'compulsion' for excellence in this area, in order to be really exceptional at it.
It is the same for me, not with Chess, but circuit topology. I have been playing with circuit topology for almost 50 years. My first wife (from the '60's) reminded me recently how I would ALWAYS be drawing circuits, at dinner out, and anytime I could.
I was DRIVEN to make better circuits, and it took years to get up-to-speed, so that I could make a circuit design that was equal or better than other professional designers.
I also LEARNED from people like Bob Widlar, who was a true innovative genius, and used everything that I could from his designs. Fortunately, he did not do symmetrical circuitry, so I found my niche. And so it goes.

The point is the results are the same or even better with the trim.

I do realize there is a ritual to doing it the other way. I learned that best from some Japanese friends who pointed out the similarity between the tea ceremony and how some of them approached their personal hobbies.

My (limited) experience of the Japanese supports this opinion. I used to play golf on a regular basis with a Japanese audio designer. Being Irish I tended to wear whatever clothes I had put on that morning. He, on the other hand always wore a 'lucky' redshirt, refused to use anything but classic persimmon woods and blade irons. I would usually have a cigarette in my mouth when driving from the tee. This was too much for him and he became irritated by the cigarette saying that I had no respect for 'the game' [as demonstrated by the lack of reverence shown by my smoking at that time:)]. To him golf was a hallowed pursuit.

Although sceptical of Japanese rituals, due reverence to most activities still stuck with him. I think that in his audio activities this was a great benefit to him as it made the work involved a 'reason for being' rather than a chore.

Last edited:
This is the closest picture that I could find between smokers and golf. Anybody find a person PLAYING GOLF and smoking? '-)

Attachments

• 3b_2.JPG
    3b_2.JPG
    8 KB · Views: 308
Status
Not open for further replies.