John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
And if you go back to my comments on testing for micro diodes in copper that is what I found. The test for diodes in a carbon matrix should show some, quantity and quality depending on the source.

I'll let George look for the patents on locating minerals by rf scams.

Your measurements violated Paschen's law by a huge margin and you never had an explaination. There are no micro-diodes in copper.

You do mean scans? Or maybe you refer to the NQR scam, brilliant you couldn't make it up.

Last edited:
Actually it may be scams is correct. A friend used to approve electrical equipment for mining and one of the items was supposed to look for rf harmonics to indicate a coal seem. Probably didn't get far as there are many better and more accurate methods.

Again are you confused, my conclusion is that there are no micro diodes in copper that cause changes as shown on my tests.

diyAudio Member RIP
Joined 2005
Good to hear from you Joshua. You probably could have gone farther in school, and become an engineer, if you really had wanted to.
I have been both a technician, a jr engineer, and finally a senior design engineer. It comes with education and experience to move up to the latter, and knowledge of math really helps with the difficult concepts.
Some people don't need to finish college to become excellent design engineers. Other people with engineering degrees, should get out of the occupation. I have worked with both, as many of us have.
A FRESH view, especially from someone with different skills can be what is necessary for a successful solution to a persistent problem. In your case, Joshua, it was that the boards, etc were dirty.
Once I hired a senior tech to help me troubleshoot a power amplifier that I had just designed and needed for the CES, but I had a problem that I just could not find.
He brought with him a lightbulb that we put in series with the powerline, along with a Variac. This allowed us to slowly bring it up, and voltages could be noted, without destroying the amp at turn-on. He found that my normal personal Swiss trained technician had forgot to put insulating pads under the driver transistors, and that is why it 'smoked' on several occasions.
The senior tech reminded me of a real 'tool' used by techs over the decades, and the amp went to the CES.
I once noted to Tripath that they should be using aluminum oxide insulators under their output devices by just looking at their prototype, and hearing their complaints. I got a roast beef sandwich for my effort, and not the job. Oh well. Next time the Tripath amp was displayed, there were the insulators that I recommended.
After the interview with Tripath that was originally set up for me by Jack Bybee: Jack said: " You didn't tell them anything useful, did you? " I had to admit that I fixed their problem by inspection, but I doubt that I ever got the credit.

diyAudio Member RIP
Joined 2005
I once noted to Tripath that they should be using aluminum oxide insulators under their output devices by just looking at their prototype, and hearing their complaints. I got a roast beef sandwich for my effort, and not the job. Oh well. Next time the Tripath amp was displayed, there were the insulators that I recommended.
After the interview with Tripath that was originally set up for me by Jack Bybee: Jack said: " You didn't tell them anything useful, did you? " I had to admit that I fixed their problem by inspection, but I doubt that I ever got the credit.
I do that all the time with prospective new clients, and I have to learn not to. I have come to appreciate others' refusal to say much at all until the "meter is running". Otherwise you may ingratiate yourself a bit, but often the outfit will take you to be a fool, or presume that the advice was obvious and trivial (regardless of how long they have been puzzling over it).

Actually it may be scams is correct. A friend used to approve electrical equipment for mining and one of the items was supposed to look for rf harmonics to indicate a coal seem. Probably didn't get far as there are many better and more accurate methods.

Again are you confused, my conclusion is that there are no micro diodes in copper that cause changes as shown on my tests.

There are no dead zones of conduction in wires either or micro-didoes in carbon resistors, whatever. Confusion is your middle name. :)

Joined 2002
Paid Member
I was once ask by a young student ( who was working on his phd thesis ) on an EE board if leaning to solder would help . I told him yes in a zen sort of way. The lost of tactile connection with what is made is most troubling to me.

“Dad, all these you tell me that are important in engineering, are hard skills. What we have to learn in the university, are soft skills” (said my daughter to me with a polite smile)

What's the acoustic impedance mismatch between air and the capacitor outer surface?

Setting
V air=340m/s
P air=1.2kg/m^3

V cap=8*Vair
P cap=1000*Pair

AirZ/Cap Z < 1/8000
~99.95% of acoustic energy is reflected back.
~0.05% enters the capacitor

By the way, these grave numbers apply at a hard speaker cone-air interface if we confine ourselves to this phenomenon only.

I'll let George look for the patents on locating minerals by rf scans.

Heaviside never earned a penny out of this :D
There are a few patents. If I can be of any help, tell me.
I had the chance to discuss the issue with people practicing these methods twice in the past.
Different places (USA, UK), it was around a French pool table with a few beers around. Call it a coincidence.

George

Last edited:
You guys talk about micro diode effect, true or not. I had to live it. :drink:

"Now here is where things get interesting: For my training I was set to stuff the line level PCB for the HP100. The lead assembler lady explained that all of the stocked resistors have a polarity mark on them and to follow the stuffed example board and pay attention to the resistors and their polarity. Humm, I wondered. so I asked in an as pragmatic tone as I could muster "how do you determine the polarity of the resistors?" She answered "that is a secret". I just raised my eye brows in mild astonishment and smiled and followed directions. Later I commented on how I had never come across any article that ever even remotely suggested that a resister had any aspect of electronic polarity. She just kind of snapped back "Well, they do and we have to test each run of resistors because they will follow the color codes one time then might be reversed another." About a month later I saw her doing the polarity test and marking the resistors. She tuned a little credit card type portable FM radio in between stations and put on the ear buds then grabbed a resistor by one end of the leads in both hands and held it next to her chest like she was praying. Then she clasped the other lead and repeated the process. Something she was hearing on the radio was queuing her to mark one end of the resistor. I never found out any more than this about the resistor polarity marking process."

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/tubes-valves/227913-my-time-hovland-hp-100-lore.html

There are many indications that the USA has fallen from the top spot or has passed its peak/prime. Just 6 percent of U.S. students performed at the advanced level on an International exam administerd in 56 countries in 2006 ! Thats below 30 other countries. Face it... we are burnt toast. Those numbers cant change - except in decades or generations.

We were like a 'sparkler' that burnt bright and fast and with glittter and glamor -- then -- poof - suddenly gone out. And, it's been out for a long time, too.

Relax. Now it's some other culture/country's turn, now.

Thx-RNMarsh
Yes but at least we are taught how to feel good about it. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.