John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
You do realise that Ronny, the BourBon Scotty, was a full-time resident of Sin City ?

yes, of course. 'Death by misadventure'. thats one of the reasons I liked him as a wayward youth ;) Angus… was better when he stuck to guitar; in the background ...

aaah yeah not as fresh in my memory but yeah, thanks for the memories. never Saw Bon Live, I was too young, actually wasnt a massive fan of the band with Angus Young and Brian Johnson, during their hey day, but rediscovered the older albums in my teens and Bon...was .. something else

Last edited:
I would appreciate it that people would stop analyzing me on this thread. I have chosen not to contribute at this time, because I have run out of things to say that might be accepted by the contributing crowd here. I have said what I have to contribute over the previous decade or more, on line, and I said it better then. If I think of something that might actually be appreciated here, I will again contribute.

Wise move, John.

See the darkon theory developed by Steve Mann at MIT a few years back.

"Steve Mann" said:
There is no such thing as light, so the issue as to whether light is a particle or wave is meaningless.
The appearance of lightness is brought on by the absence of particles of darkness, called ``darkons''.
An absence of darkness can be created synthetically by causing ``holes'' (holes are the absence of electrons) to flow through a device called a light-bulb.
A flow of the absence of electrons, which causes the absence of darkness, can be created by using a device called a ``battery''.
A battery has two sides, one marked ``plus'' (indicating a surPLUS of holes) and the other marked ``minus''. The flow of the absence of electrons that causes the absence of darkness begins at the ``plus'' side and moves toward the ``minus'' side.
The flow of the absence of electrons is eventually exhausted, and, with some batteries (called ``rechargeable'') can be restored by using the flow of dryness particles (absence of water) up large turbines.
Darkness particles may come from a ``dark-fixture'' (e.g. one mounted to a ceiling) or from a personal darkon-shooter (known as a ``camera'').

This work has focused on the darkness particle, but a similar theory has been discovered for the darkness wave. Strictly speaking, darkness is neither a wave nor a particle, but, rather a ``wave-packet'', sometimes called a ``wavelet'' for short.

I would like to sum up a few things. I realize that the existing contributors will not be interested, but I might equally say that I am not interested in most of what they are contributing on this thread as well.
This is 'news' on perhaps the last Blowtorch, besides my personal unit that I will ever have to test. This is number 7, made perhaps 14 years ago, in 1999. It has been on a shelf here for about 8 years. The reason that it was originally sent to me was that my business colleague, Carl T, whose unit this is, thought that there was something wrong with it, so he boxed it up, and sent it to me, (thank goodness I saved the boxes).
When my tech and I checked the unit 8 years ago, or so, we could not find anything wrong with it, so I put it on a shelf, and virtually forgot about it, because Carl T, also being a co-designer of the Parasound JC-2, as well as the CTC Blowtorch, was using it, and decided that the convenience of remote control, and the parallel effort to make the JC-2 as good as we could, given its designated parameters, was a reasonable substitute. Somewhere along the line, Carl T asked me to sell the unit, rather than return it, if I could find a buyer.
So, without advertising or anything else, the unit just sat there on a back shelf.
A couple of weeks ago, I got an e-mail from someone, who wanted a CTC Blowtorch, and he had seen a unit for sale in E-Bay, but he casually asked me if I had another unit available, since he was in the USA, and the unit for sale was wired for 220V and would have to be modified to work in the USA. I then remembered the unit on the shelf and I made him an offer, which he instantly accepted.
So now it was time to take it off the shelf, check it out, thoroughly, and send it to the customer. It is fascinating for me, to look at the wiring of my deceased associate Bob Crump, the other C in CTC, who was actually in charge of the whole project.
It is rather beautiful, if rather empty, inside. It is a 'stripped down' version without a phono stage (Carl already had a Vendetta Phono stage) and not even balanced output.
Everything looks almost like new, as there is no layer of dust, due to the sealed construction, so there isn't much to do, but to test it. (more later)

Just a suggestion of an alternative.

Possible options ;

- Technical level : no verifiable explanation given.
- Personal level : the Bentley owner can likely defend himself better than the average fellow car brand club/hood member.
- Financial level : if you say so.

- Other level : subjective.

Last edited:
Dear Jacco,
on the other hand, there are no explanations given on
- Technical level for perfumes (e.g. which one has the most advanced formula) and you wouldn't compare on
- Personal level the wellness of particular brand maker with another brand maker and without attention to
- Financial level you will buy for your GF/BF the perfumes which she/he prefers, correct? You wouldn't dispute with her/him that this perfume is overpriced and has exactly the same scent as another one, would you?
Please put this Bybee discussion to rest. Use your energy and invent something what audiophiles can use in our systems.

Last edited:
I regret ever talking about Jack's Bentley. I never knew that there would be so much animosity over time by Jack being independently wealthy, and NOT by audio projects.
To be honest with everyone, I still don't know atomic processes enough to make an intellectual opinion about a lot of things, including Cryoing, metal purity, etc.
And I seriously doubt that most of you who criticize, unless you are at the level of actually winning a Nobel Prize for Physics or Chemistry, know enough, either.
I have never made much from just about anything that I have designed, but I am told that I have helped made other people millionaires. I am just at the wrong place on the 'food chain'. Promotion and sales, as well as owning the company, is the best place to get rich.
I am not alone in this, many designers, behind the scenes, have the same problem.
Usually it goes like this: First, some dreamer about making an audio company, realizes that he cannot actually design anything significant, so he comes to someone like me and gives me a story about how working with him, creating a company, or at least real products together, we will get wealthy and famous.
So it starts, often with contracts that, even if I get my own lawyers to generate them, take months to make, and ultimately are ignored by the others, down the line, whether the company is successful or fails.
Then they negotiate with me, saying that they cannot afford to give me a REAL salary, but noting that I am supposed to survive while designing the product, offer me about 1/2 of what I would normally make, promising me sizable royalties in future.
Later, I have to virtually threaten them to keep more than the first trickle of royalties coming in. Sometimes, I am successful, usually I am not, convincing them to keep paying me. Compared with just about everyone I know, I have less in my old age, than they do. That's life, and at least I have a job that I like. '-)

diyAudio Member RIP
Joined 2005
Usually it goes like this: First, some dreamer about making an audio company, realizes that he cannot actually design anything significant, so he comes to someone like me and gives me a story about how working with him, creating a company, or at least real products together, we will get wealthy and famous.
So it starts, often with contracts that, even if I get my own lawyers to generate them, take months to make, and ultimately are ignored by the others, down the line, whether the company is successful or fails.
Then they negotiate with me, saying that they cannot afford to give me a REAL salary, but noting that I am supposed to survive while designing the product, offer me about 1/2 of what I would normally make, promising me sizable royalties in future.
Later, I have to virtually threaten them to keep more than the first trickle of royalties coming in. Sometimes, I am successful, usually I am not, convincing them to keep paying me. Compared with just about everyone I know, I have less in my old age, than they do. That's life, and at least I have a job that I like. '-)

And thus we see engineers advised to get, or actually getting, law degrees. Probably a terrible waste of talent if indeed the engineer has real ability and creativity. Some of them thus equipped go on to practice patent law, and I worked with one who made important contributions to the invention, and admitted that he was, to some extent, a frustrated inventor.

Good engineers are wise souls, with an innate understanding that money and material goods are largely irrelevant to happiness.

Some get spoiled by the companies they work for, examples come to mind. This should end for the good of all. Most engineers will tell you they were most productive when they earned the least and were working on shoe string budgets.

www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
That's when the have to be most creative.

It does not however alter the fact that in general they are not valued in some societies. Just look at the UK. Treat engineers like absolute crap (even PhD ones) and wonder why kids won't go into engineering. Do a law or accountancy degree and the future is golden.

Then we've had the debacle over the last 15 years or so where the best and brightest STEM grads have been whipped up by private equity, banking and consulting firms with promises of 6 figure salaries, stock options after 5 years and you can see why there is a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.