John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm shortsighted?

No no, you have it backwards.

With the bizarre and inexplicable "need" for the balanced configuration to have a single deck dedicated to each of the inverting and non-inverting leads (apparently it has something to do with lunch meat), CTC had to keep FOUR different switches on hand, depending on whether it was to be used for balanced or unbalanced switching.

Without this bizarre and inexplicable "need," it would only require TWO different switches, each a two pole, two deck, using one pole when switching unbalanced leads and both poles when switching balanced leads.

So now which makes more sense to you from the "manufacturer's perspective" you list above? Having to stock four parts or having to stock two parts?

Steve Eddy, are we still talking about polarity invert switch or did you drifted away and talking about input select switches now?

Actually, he states up front when he chooses materials based on it smells nice and sounds good, and also when there is an engineering justification.

I don't choose materials based on how it smells. If I did, I'd never be using any ebonite which when you machine it smells like rotten eggs.

Godfrey's perversion of what I said was based on a statement I'd made that the cables I ended up with, in addition to sounding good to me, also looked good, felt good, and smelled good. I wasn't designing based on smell, only that the cables also smelling good was a nice side benefit.

It also relates to what I've said in the past about not caring why something might "sound" better to me. In other words, it didn't matter to me whether it was something that was actually audible, or due to purely psychological effects. If something sounded better to me simply because it looked good, felt good and smelled good, then give me good looks, good feel and good smell.

se

I am still very happy with my divorce, which brings me to the point that there are many roads to hapiness, as many ways as sound waves can take through the air.

This then leads to the following. I was reading Lipshitz's 1985 AES-paper "stereo microphone techniques: are the purists wrong". At the end he mentions as a fundamental flaw of stereo that:

-quo-
Consider equal in-phase signals at the loudspeakers, as would
be produced by a center-front source. At the listener's head the sound
pressure is up by a factor of two (6 dB) by scalar addition but the
sound velocity is up by only 3 dB (a factor of_sqrt(2)=1/sqrt(2)+1/sqrt(2)) by
vector addition if the loudspeakers subtend a 90 ° angle at the listener.
There is thus a 3 dB deficit.

-unquo-

Which leads me to two nagging questions:

1) in what sense will that influence our perception of sound, since we are sensitive to pressure variations,

and

2) this is only true if sound waves pass through each other like electromagnetic waves, or ripples on a point. To some extend this is probably the case, but wouldn't sound waves also combine to create new virtual sound sources, combining their momentums? Instinctively I would think that because of the propagation mechanism is different, the way momentum combines might also be different (in EM-waves the oscillation is perpendicular to the direction of movement, and with waves on a pond it is the same thing; with air waves the oscillation is in the same direction as the direction of movement).

I hope this learned gathering has clues.

Steve Eddy, are we still talking about polarity invert switch or did you drifted away and talking about input select switches now?

I was referring to BOTH switches.

According to John, depending on whether the inputs were balanced or the outputs were balanced, the input switch and/or the polarity switch would use either two decks or four decks. With balanced, they were using a single deck for each of the left and right channel's inverting and non-inverting leads, which would require four decks for two channels.

Since they wouldn't know whether a customer wanted balanced or unbalanced ins and outs, they had to keep stock on four different switches, i.e. two different input switches and two different polarity switches.

I'm saying that without the bizarre requirement that the inverting and non-inverting leads each have their own deck, they could accommodate both unbalanced and balanced configurations using just two switches, i.e. one for input switching and one for polarity switching.

se

Scott, the output mosfets are obsolete SUPERTEX PARTS that are not easily available. What is your problem? Have you found an equal quality substitute for these parts? Maybe there is one, out there, but I never found it.
John, please read the posts slower. He asked you if he could post it, and was hoping for everybody's input on substitutes. Here's the question again..

John, I found my schematic of the Dennesen JC-80 line stage it's dated and initaled by you 2/18/83. It does use the VFET's. Any objections to posting it here?

It's an intesting design and it might be a good exercise for folks to suggest modern parts.

My guitar playing still sucks, though.
My air guitar never sounded better..

I don't choose materials based on how it smells. If I did, I'd never be using any ebonite which when you machine it smells like rotten eggs.
Good to keep in mind.. Course, I sand purpleheart, so who am I to speak.

Godfrey's perversion of what I said was based on a statement I'd made that the cables I ended up with, in addition to sounding good to me, also looked good, felt good, and smelled good.

Ah, ok..I made the assumption that since he attributed it to you, it must have been an accurate depiction.

Oh well..egg on my face..

jn

Last edited:
JNeutron, Do you know the specific differences between Vfets, lateral mosfets, vertical mosfets, Hitachi pinout, Harris IR equivalent mosfets, IR mosfets, and SUPERTEX T0-220 complementary mosfets (not made anymore)? IF not, then please withdraw from the controversy.

For everyone else: JUST the mention of the word: VFET shows that Scott is completely in the dark about the design parameters, as there are NO VFETS in a JC-80. Only, Supertex TO-220 mosfets that are difficult to substitute with anything else.

I was reading Lipshitz's 1985 AES-paper "stereo microphone techniques: are the purists wrong". At the end he mentions as a fundamental flaw of stereo that:

-quo-
Consider equal in-phase signals at the loudspeakers, as would
be produced by a center-front source. At the listener's head the sound
pressure is up by a factor of two (6 dB) by scalar addition but the
sound velocity is up by only 3 dB (a factor of_sqrt(2)=1/sqrt(2)+1/sqrt(2)) by
vector addition if the loudspeakers subtend a 90 ° angle at the listener.
There is thus a 3 dB deficit.

-unquo-
What an odd thing for him to say. Terribly incorrect, but really odd. The sound velocity is not higher. The waves pass in the night, so to speak, at levels which humans can survive.

but wouldn't sound waves also combine to create new virtual sound sources, combining their momentums?

I believe that requires non linearity in the medium..Isn't that how that two U/S wave virtual source thingy works?

I hope this learned gathering has clues.
That is an entirely different and somewhat off topic question..:eek:

I can only speak for myself.. I am clueless..

jn

Last edited:
However, these relays are not quite as good a solution for OUR personal needs, when we strove to make the BEST product possible, rather than a practical product. And to this day, I stand behind this 'solution', although it is difficult to recommend it to anyone else.

Great. And I've never criticized your choice of Shallco switches.

While I must admit that Bob's selection of a 4 section switch seems 'extreme', it is actually consistent with his switch and pot layout philosophy.

But it's not "extreme" in the sense of going the extra extra mile to achieve some greater performance benefit. It's utterly nonsensical and actually a step backwards in terms of performance benefits. I think Bob may have been laboring under the common mistaken "audiophile" notion that the "ideal" balanced configuration should have the inverting and non-inverting sides completely separate from one another as if they were separate channels like left and right.

I've seen this a number of times in the marketing literature for "high end" components. "Completely separate signal paths for balanced operation!"

That is: All switches and pots are firmly mounted to the FRONT face of the enclosure. No false front panels, no extra supports necessary for mounting the switches, the pots and selector switch mounted in the same plane for easier connection.

Forcing you into a rats nest wiring job that can only diminish performance.

I liked Bob. He was quite a character. But the internal layout of the Blowtorch should have been left to someone else.

se

JNeutron, Do you know the specific differences between Vfets, lateral mosfets, vertical mosfets, Hitachi pinout, Harris IR equivalent mosfets, IR mosfets, and SUPERTEX T0-220 complementary mosfets (not made anymore)? IF not, then please withdraw from the controversy.

For everyone else: JUST the mention of the word: VFET shows that Scott is completely in the dark about the design parameters, as there are NO VFETS in a JC-80. Only, Supertex TO-220 mosfets that are difficult to substitute with anything else.

The schematic shows VN01/VP01 and you initialed it and sent it to me. I can only find that part number listed as Verticle DMOS FET.

You mean, other than working as an electrical test engineer for a manufacturer of V fets?? Or, having been in the position of taking every semiconductor type known to man at the time including ALL manufacturer's fets, performing a 200 to 400X visual inspection of the chips in a waffle pack, bonding the die to a gold plated TO-3 header, wirebonding via either U/S or T/C bonding using 1, 2, 5, 15, and 20 mil wirebond, and then subjecting the packaged device to testing to determine if the parts meet the manufacturer's specifications?

I know far more about the devices than you could ever hope to even understand, but I am willing to teach you if you were to ask questions. So I guess the answer is....YES, I do.

ALAS....that was not what Scott was talking about. The question was regarding the collective discussion about substitute parts.

So stop blathering. Instead of trying so desperately to find any opportunity to attack others, read more carefully please.

jn

Last edited:
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Steve Eddy, you're very shortsighted.

Just think for a minute about the following factors from the equipment manufacturer perspective:

1. Parts availability (in stock/custom order/lead times)
2. Price break (1/10/25 pcs.)
3. All possible combinations that you might need to cover requirements of your potential customers.
4. If you decide to go with two slightly different parts, but do not know how many units will be built with one part and how many with the other, how many of each part do you stock? If you buy both parts in enough quantity, you end up spending more money, not less.
And so on.

P.S. Actually, I'm wondering how many of the posters here do really make their living by serving the so called "High-End" customers.
Wow! you have my world nailed;)

JN, a VFET is not necessarily a VERTICAL FET. It is an early power jfet that was made by NEC, Sony, and Yamaha, for example. It is a DEPLETION MODE device and it was discontinued, because it was too difficult to get a suitable yield. It is also sometimes called a Static Induction Transistor.
The power devices used in the JC-80 are called VMOS, because they are a vertical MOS structure, with ENHANCEMENT instead of DEPLETION as the fundamental property of the device. They cannot be easily interchanged.

Last edited:
Scott, your attempted insertion of this schematic at this time was inappropriate. It would have answered nothing and would not have contributed to further understanding of the questions recently posed. Secondly, you didn't appear to 'understand' the schematic details to do anything but confuse the situation, just like Demian just did by implying that a TO-92 part could easily replace a T0-220 part, even though the die inside are the same.
That is something that JN might do, Demain! After all, with a 45 degree spread angle of heat flow, anything should be possible! I maintain that only liquid Freon would do the job properly, and maybe not well enough, given the plastic thermal resistance. '-)

Status
Not open for further replies.