John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Joined 2002
Paid Member

It is auto-setting and picks up the power line frequency.
Excellent multi $$$ instrument.
Richard took the photo with a Leica :D

George

Attachments

• Fluke.JPG
    Fluke.JPG
    177.6 KB · Views: 299
Actually the war between Edison and Westinghouse (DC vs AC) is often presented as AC won because you could distribute it with transformers. As electric power was first used for lighting either would work and the distribution advantage strongly tilted to AC. However the first motors were push-pull devices that would only run on DC. These gave way to rotary version that also required DC. It was the invention of the induction motor that allowed AC to compete for motor energy. DC motors are still used when the current to torque property is needed. Although with power semiconductors and variable speed drives AC motors can now match that.

The AC motors can be designed series field or parallel field or some combo in between to adjust the startup torque as well.
But how would you explain to someone how an induction motor works, when the moving part is just a hunk of metal?
Oh that's so simple.

That hunk of metal is attempting to keep up with a rotating magnetic field. The slower it goes wrt to the field, the more current and force generated in the hunk of metal.

Interesting patent. Not reality, but certainly interesting. Obtaining a patent did not require building a working device to demonstrate validity.

jn

"old" aluminum from marine usage

FTR, "marine use aluminum" and Sealium or Alustar (5059 H111/H321) are not one and the same.
Afair, Sealium by Alcan/Pechiney in France was patented in '04, only a handful of yachts have been built in Sealium till date.

Merely to illustrate that "aluminum" is not a static thing, 10-15 years can travel a distance on the Alloy highway.

(manufacture in China, and everything can be solid billet)

I have spent years attempting to do a cheaper chassis that STILL looked good, was easy to fabricate, and did not drive machinists crazy. We have had designed and built, a number of chassis to replace the older Vendetta Research phono stage. ALL have been about as expensive as the Blowtorch (for its size and complexity) or else has been designed and built in Asia, and requires a minimum volume to get production going.
In this world of molded plastic, and cheap sheet metal, it is refreshing to look at a really well done metal case. The ultimate one, in my opinion, is the Ayre preamp example. Of course, Charles does not come around here, anymore, for some reason. '-)

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
It is auto-setting and picks up the power line frequency.
Excellent multi $$$ instrument.
Richard took the photo with a Leica :D

George

thats funny :D

I have quit a bit of power line instrumentation. So if anyone is curious, I might have measured it... ac power line-wise. Including fields with current probes et al. 'Cause learning the nature of the situation leads to solutions or improvements.
And, its my substitute investment for machined aluminium $$$.

-Richard

Last edited:
thats funny :D

I have quit a bit of power line instrumentation. So if anyone is curious, I might have measured it... ac power line-wise. Including fields with current probes et al. 'Cause learning the nature of the situation leads to solutions or improvements.
And, its my substitute investment for machined aluminium $$$.

-Richard

Dick,

I am afraid that you will end up on my horrible people list along with Demian.

I used to like to think I had the most test equipment, now you and Demian might not only match me, but actually have more! :)

I have the Tektronix version with the current probe for power lines. It starts life as an oscilloscope and also has the meter functions.

Of course next week I plan to order some more. (New of course!)

ES

P.S. One of these days we should get into your power line filter patent with the "Z" pair of inductors and single capacitor as the basic cell.

Status
Not open for further replies.