John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
As far as I'm aware, you don't get a diode if you go from copper, to copper oxide, to copper. You have to go copper, to copper oxide, to something other than copper. I believe lead was commonly used for that in copper oxide rectifiers.

se

Could be I don't know, but the guy with the copper photocells was using oxidized pc board and a copper wire to get some photovoltaic action (could have been the salt water drop contact).

Last edited:
Could be I don't know, but the guy with the copper photocells was using oxidized pc board and a copper wire to get some photovoltaic action (could have been the salt water drop contact).

Copper as I recall from the Morgan's Boys Book of Electricity series has two oxides, cuprous and cupric. An electrolyte between these two coatings will when illuminated produce a voltage.

Does this mean we now have to paint our audio cables black?

Well, apparently they did know about differences in materials in Boy's books in the 1930's. Scott is right, as I have a high school chemistry book from 1938. They basically give you the formulas to make explosives. They would not do that today, but then, maybe, they thought that people who got interested in such things would go on to make better explosives when they grew up. ;-)

i remember the recipy. 30% sulfur, 30% salpeter and carcoal powder. we got the ingredience in the lokal pharmacy. sulfur was for scaring animals from eating plants etc.we told the pharmacist. the problem was to get really well grinded carcoal so we did not get exposions but quite violent fire. we where totally ocupied with this job. our other ocupation was light so we connected the transformers of our play trains with car lamps we saved from the lokal car junkjard. where are this junkjards today ? they have miracolously disapeared in germany.

i remember the recipy. 30% sulfur, 30% salpeter and carcoal powder. we got the ingredience in the lokal pharmacy. sulfur was for scaring animals from eating plants etc.we told the pharmacist. the problem was to get really well grinded carcoal so we did not get exposions but quite violent fire. we where totally ocupied with this job. our other ocupation was light so we connected the transformers of our play trains with car lamps we saved from the lokal car junkjard. where are this junkjards today ? they have miracolously disapeared in germany.

I just emptied the contents of my grandfathers shotgun shells.

If you take a largish bore bullet (I tried with an old 9.5mm Mannlicher) and drill out the nose dum-dum style but quite deep and then part fill the cavity with a little glycerine, you can take out a small tree very effectively! Mind you I was a mid 20s child in those days!

To complicated. Some cotton balls and a dip into nitric and sulphuric acid fumans was good enough.

Or iodine crystals and some ammonia to get those light violet perls.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.