John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
A prime example imho would be a Jackson Pollock painting, Blue Poles, that I have viewed in person.....sure it is impressive by virtue of its size...2.12 m × 4.89 m and the range of colours, but to my technical brain it just a big meaningless POS, but now valued at between $20 and $100 MILLION dollars FFS....You Cannot Be Serious comes to mind !.
It's fascinating how the instinctive, right side of the brain works differently for different people. I, like so many others joined the queues to view it when it was first acquired, and it had tremendous impact on me, I "understood" at a non-rational level what it was all about and thoroughly enjoyed perusing it. In one sense it epitomises how creative works frequently connect to a part of oneself which has almost no overlap with the logic areas, the consciously processing parts of the brains.

It's all part of what makes us somewhat interesting creatures ... :)

Frank

Irrational Junk....

........I, like so many others joined the queues to view it when it was first acquired, and it had tremendous impact on me, I "understood" at a non-rational level what it was all about and thoroughly enjoyed perusing it. Frank
I recall the major controversy when the Pollock Blue Poles 'painting' was purchased....I also recall the discussions that stated it was created by getting drunk and literally pouring and splashing paint over the canvas lying on the floor.
The impact on me then and now is that it is just a big pisstake, end of story.

Dan.

Last edited:
diyAudio Member RIP
Joined 2005
bcarso,
Canoga Park is a security risk! Now if you said some parts of Van Nuys I would understand but Canoga Park? I live up on the top of the hills in Laurel Canyon, you can look at the top of the hill from your house and see the radio tower right above my house. More rf than you would ever want to deal with. But it is fairly quite here most of the day.

Well I'm close to some nasty gang territory neighborhoods, but I haven't had but one serious event, signs of an attempted break-in a little while ago. Since my apartment unit is right next to the manager's this had to have been a very bold individual indeed. Considering that I've kept this place even when having others for what will be 24 years in November I guess I'm doing o.k.

I may have been a little loose-lipped, about a particular thing I had here, with a fairly new tenant. Won't do that again.

Great teachers are as rare, if not rarer, than anyone else. And they are usually undercompensated, especially when compared to the mediocre ones. But again this is true of most every field of endeavour.
One version of a great teacher, who I had when starting in the computing field, said that such is someone who can read up something for the first time, understand it, then conduct a successful class on the matter to others new to the material a day or so later ...

Frank

I think the idea of listening at low levels is a very good one. In another sensory modality, I've noticed that when I have to work with limited magnification on SMD assemblies, my vision starts to improve, some accommodation being restored.
I believe strongly in exercising the eyes, by trial and error I worked out a pattern of eyeball movements and focus adjustments which I could "feel" was doing me good, and lo and behold, such was the case. If I really need to "force" my eyes to pick up something that they are on the edge of doing, I vigorously do the exercises and then they usually improve enough to get me over the "hurdle" ... :)

Frank

I recall the major controversy when the Pollock Blue Poles 'painting' was purchased....I also recall the discussions that stated it was created by getting drunk and literally pouring and splashing paint over the canvas lying on the floor.
The impact on me then and now is that it is just a big pisstake, end of story.

Dan.
The points about fractal images are key; I saw recently a TV doco "analysing" the painting, where they zoomed in, over a series of significant steps in separate "slides", on one part of the painting. If presented in random order you would be hard pressed to get the sequence right ...

Frank

Status
Not open for further replies.