John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Anatoliy,
No, I can't say that I do. I subscribe to industry publications that sometimes may give me some advance information, but other than that I have no connection to anyone in the business. I have to buy parts like everyone else, after they are ready for mass sales.

It would be nice though! Can you imagine getting a couple new devices to play with now and then? Even things like signal transistors would be interesting.

-Chris

anatech said:
Hi Anatoliy,
No, I can't say that I do. I subscribe to industry publications that sometimes may give me some advance information, but other than that I have no connection to anyone in the business. I have to buy parts like everyone else, after they are ready for mass sales.

It would be nice though! Can you imagine getting a couple new devices to play with now and then? Even things like signal transistors would be interesting.

I don't mean getting samples; I often get them for free; I mean manufacturing of my designs.

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Wavebourn said:

Chris; do you mean you have contacts with good manufacturers? I need some...

One of the quick ways to make a small fortune is to use connections with the semi mfrs to get early parts and samples. You design ahead of the curve and guess what. . . they lied, the parts don't work and your large fortune is now small. I have watched it happen. Some of those large fortunes (like the UWB pioneers) are now gone.

Wait until the parts are shipping and mature before commiting unless you want a unique piece for yourself.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Demian,
You have that right!!

Early pre-production samples can get a proof of concept off the ground, but nothing further. I think early samples are good for that much. The person who brings a prototype to the board room using pre-production stuff is just asking for trouble. Heck, the semiconductor project may even die because a market study says it won't fly.

So, sage advice for all looking on.

The parts I use for ideas runs wide and long. Everything from power semiconductors, low noise transistors, medium power, signal manipulation for test and measurement and RF devices. Even microcontrollers are on the plate.

-Chris

1audio said:

One of the quick ways to make a small fortune is to use connections with the semi mfrs to get early parts and samples. You design ahead of the curve and guess what. . . they lied, the parts don't work and your large fortune is now small. I have watched it happen. Some of those large fortunes (like the UWB pioneers) are now gone.

Wait until the parts are shipping and mature before commiting unless you want a unique piece for yourself.

I had a problem with some new nice MOSFETs, they were fried in regimes far from specified by manufacturer limits. Later they disappeared from the horizon at all.

1audio said:

I may have some contacts. E-mail me off line with a little more on what you need and I might be able to connect you with some resources.

Thank you a lot Demian; but when I am trying to click a magic button every time I see that it is absent. Can you click mine please so I would know your address?

Anatoliy

1audio said:

I have watched it happen. Some of those large fortunes (like the UWB pioneers) are now gone.

In this case you are probably talking about two parties trying to pull off a very ahead of the curve ASIC together. IMNSHO UWB in the beginning was way oversold like some of the early press on Kaman's two-wheeler . My opinion of course.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Scott,
in the beginning was way oversold like some of the early press on Kaman's two-wheeler
Well, isn't that what the marketing department is for? :angel:

I was very disappointed when On-Semi discontinued the MJW0281A and MJW0302A. I felt they were going to be one of those truly great transistor compliments. Now, they aren't.

-Chris

Joined 2004
Paid Member
A little OT (but not much since audio mfrs are similar) in a recent effort I was part of, by the time my client had agreed to actually consider looking at the technology from a high profile startup the press release was on its way touting the great success that would soon ensue. The client didn't move too fast (fortunately) and the startup (+$45 million) is all gone. It turns out that the typical tech startup is about getting the VC money flowing than selling product. The PR is directed at getting more money not sales.

The audio connection is that some of the boutique mfrs are run similarly (just don't have the IPO/sell off exit strategy).

Nor do they have an attractive upside. Small and shrinking market, mostly export, fashion-driven. I did some due diligence for a VC buddy considering a speaker company investment. Nice people, good idea, but once I gave him numbers for comparable companies, he backed out instantly.

The speaker company ended up finding money somewhere, built some very nice speakers, got an attractive distribution deal, but despite having a novel and useful technology, never broke past a few million in revenue and (as these things inevitably go) eventually faded away.

John is not feeling too well at the moment but I am sure he will be back........................ to terminate the unbelievers! :D

Attachments

• terminator_2_large_09.jpg
    terminator_2_large_09.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 730
Status
Not open for further replies.