John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm quoting from Devialet's website, errors included:

John Atkinson, Editor of Stereophile, worte a laudatory review on Devialet in the January 2013 issue of the magazine.

Summing up
“Devialet's D-Premier amplifier is the most extraordinary product I have reviewed for Stereophile. Superb sound quality, future-proof design, everything you need in one box - it is the epotome of what a hifh-end audio product should be. Wow!” John Atkinson

Risky statement if not backed-up by some evidence, so let's wait until...well,anyway tomorrow we're kind of busy :D

I listened to a Devialet D-Premier about 2 years ago. It combines a 5W class A with...a lot of class D. Not bad on digital inputs, however I didn't like the analog inputs (sampled at 48k only if I remember correctly)... but probably they fixed that since.

Power DACs = the future? On Wi-Fi input they eliminate CDPs, cables, preamps, again cables...

This looks like the perfect place to play, the 5W class A part can use all the unobtainable fetish parts you want.

This looks like the perfect place to play, the 5W class A part can use all the unobtainable fetish parts you want.

or TPA6120... (Class A p-p possible, yes you can manage the heat if you really want to)

stack.jpg

6 TPA6120 mounted "belly up" to clamp pwr pad to CPU heatsink Cu slug

Last edited:
I will continue to make Class AB power amps as well. In fact, even MORE Class A amps than before. However, we have been experimenting in radical new (patentable) technology that sounds pretty good too, and it weighs about 1/10 as much as a similar powered Parasound Class AB amp. We have already done our independent A-B comparisons with music professionals. It is just a matter of funding. Yes, we do use more IC's than I normally would, for a power amp.

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
You might be surprised, how good this new technology can be.

IMO we are closing in on the tail end of all analog audio era except in a few special places. But, the good news is that digital has improved soooo much in the past years that it really is as good or better in many ways. if for no other reason, it eliminates so many analalog parts and links and potential RFI/EMI issues - that alone helps a lot. The direct copy downloads of high def music files is part of it.... before we couldnt get that close to the source (unless you had master tapes). So, its a good thing.... closer to the goal of more realistic sounding music. Now if we could only get better High Def selections and better recordings (Soundfield mics etc). Still the big problem.

I had to learn how tubes worked as they were the mainstay of the day. Then I had to learn how transistors worked; then digital IC's/gates et al. Then computers and DSP. It never ends. I've embraced digital audio as the next evolutionary electronic technology to be involved in. Do you have a choice?

-RNMarsh

Last edited:
What we have found is that a combination of digital and analog can be better than just digital, alone. People do not seem to realize that the first 'popular' Class D amplifier was shown and discussed in 'Wireless World' as early as 1965, made by Sinclair. Where is it today? Now, almost 50 years of iterations later, maybe we are getting somewhere.
Same with digital recording.

What we have found is that a combination of digital and analog can be better than just digital, alone. People do not seem to realize that the first 'popular' Class D amplifier was shown and discussed in 'Wireless World' as early as 1965, made by Sinclair. Where is it today? Now, almost 50 years of iterations later, maybe we are getting somewhere.

I would suspect that all of sinclair's class D offerings have gone the way of the Norwegian blue and are pining for the fjords. Robust they were not.

...You might be surprised, how good this new technology can be.
Strange reversal from which, few pages earlier, advocated analog as the only solution worthy of respect and for whom the mere mention of the word digital generated an amused and condescending smile .

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.