John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks Esperado on your input of the Siliconix app note of the modification of the ne5534. They were trying to sell jfets, not IC's with that app. The real problem with that modification was that it was NOISY because the second stage in the IC was so noisy. It did eliminate thermal feedback to the input stage, however.

Not good enough, that's not a spec, it's a wish list. You don't specify how the device is build internally, but numbers about what you want to get out of it, under certain input conditions. Otherwise, you may as well specify the sex of the electrons and holes.

What exactly means "all class A"? And why output stage bias > 20 mA and not > 5mA or > 50mA? And noise <1nV/rtHz for a JFET amp, are you planning to use such for a MC input, or as a line amp as discussed here?

I see this going nowhere, though.

It´s the JC-2 (or ML-1, not JC-1 as I wrote before), and it´s not a wish list,
it´s what you can get with discrete. For IC opamps it seems you can never get
low noise, Fet input, high slew rate and a class A output stage in _one_ package.

John, thank you for the detailed explanation. I have mixed up JC-1 and JC-2. What I wanted
to say was "a JC-2 line stage built with modern (well modern, the P-channel part is already
out of production) Thoshiba Fets". I´m not aware of a integrated solution that will match that.

Last edited:
Why don't you ask Scott Wurcer to provide a schematic? I don't have one handy. He took the 5534 apart over 25 years ago, Raytheon wasn't it, Scott, that was considered the best? Siliconix supplied the idea for the op amp mod through the compensation pins, as I recall.

I think I lost it years ago. IIRC you pull the inputs to Vee to disable them and just put a JFET long tailed pair on the comp/offset pins.

App note: partial

Attachments

• sil3.jpg
    sil3.jpg
    857.9 KB · Views: 247
I never got "rid of" the A21, in fact my friend bought one to (replaced his Krell which he damaged) drive his 3.6 , the A21 was not able to drive the Big Bembeh's 1ohm load,(many have failed , i can forward a list of the ones that can ) intrusive protection circuit in my situation... I sense an agenda ......! Why ...?
That's a good reason. :)

What is a 3.6? What is a Big Bembeh? Yes please to your list.

App note: partial
This demonstrate one time again that the first stage of an amp is the most important, regarding the poles. I believe the slew-rate of this composite OPA was better ?
I am thinking to conventional Power amp, and the fact that many amp use the same kind of transistors and schematics for their input stage. And i wonder why CI manufacturers does not propose complementary fast and high voltage matched pairs, both BJTs and FETs in a integrated circuit optimized for temperature matching.
Scott ?

Last edited:
It´s the JC-2 (or ML-1, not JC-1 as I wrote before), and it´s not a wish list,
it´s what you can get with discrete. For IC opamps it seems you can never get
low noise, Fet input, high slew rate and a class A output stage in _one_ package.

John, thank you for the detailed explanation. I have mixed up JC-1 and JC-2. What I wanted
to say was "a JC-2 line stage built with modern (well modern, the P-channel part is already
out of production) Thoshiba Fets". I´m not aware of a integrated solution that will match that.

The question was not about doing in ICs the same things (topology, biases, differential complementary stage, etc...) you can do with discretes, but to provide the same level of objective performance. When you evaluate a discrete solution vs. an IC solution you don't necessary know about topology (Class A) output stage bias current, etc... OTOH, knowing such details in advance and evaluating based on the "sound quality" only is equivalent to peeking in a blind test.

On the same note, you could argue there isn't any IC providing 200W in 4ohm load, so ICs must be inferior. As much as I can argue you can't build a 1000V/uS gain stage (or anything close to the THS4631, like 325MHz unity gain frequency and 80dB gain) with discretes on a regular PCB.

So, as I said, I see this going nowhere, therefore I'll stop here.

Wayne and PMA, thanks for your inputs on the A21. I have one on my test bench right now, AND I am going to give it to my business partner, because it will NOT drive my WATT's properly, which are 4 ohms and below in drive Z. With 4 ohm and below, the limited number of output devices causes a small, but measurable amount of higher order distortion, which puts me off for MY set-up. My colleague is more relaxed, even though he also has a Vendetta equipped CTC Blowtorch that we made together.

What are you going to get now John, JC-1 's ...:)

That's a good reason. :)

What is a 3.6? What is a Big Bembeh? Yes please to your list.

I am assuming that the "3.6" refers to the Magneplanar 3.6 (a planar-magnetic/ribbon hybrid loudspeaker from Magnepan Incorporated (MG 3.7)), a loudspeaker that presents a fairly resistive, largely 4-ohm load. :)

Sorry, I have no idea what consitutes a "Big Bembeh"... :D

Good luck! :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.