John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
While I agree that we seem to have the basic science of reproduction of music down does that mean in science that we have made every discovery of all the factors in reproduction of a musical waveform? The only analogy that I can seem to make is that when we download a computer program we can in the end do a bit for bit comparison to the original and make sure that the information is an exact copy. But I don't know a way that this can be done in music reproduction? How can you know for sure that something on the smallest scale has not been changed, isn't this the holly grail of audio reproduction? Science is not a stagnant thing, we are forever learning new things that we did not know before or understand. Why isn't this the same in audio reproduction?

Kindhornman said:
I have never heard a live simulcast that sounded as good as a post processed recording where things are put into balance and any problems from the venue corrected.
I would rather hear the former, given reasonable acoustics in the hall and a reasonably competent sound engineer (e.g. BBC Radio 3 live concert from the Royal Festival Hall in the 1970s or 80s).

The only analogy that I can seem to make is that when we download a computer program we can in the end do a bit for bit comparison to the original and make sure that the information is an exact copy. But I don't know a way that this can be done in music reproduction? How can you know for sure that something on the smallest scale has not been changed, isn't this the holly grail of audio reproduction?
Such programs exists. i don't use them, but i've seen them.
They are accurate at a the sampling rate and bit level. They can compare the two tracks of a stereo recording, as well as synchronizing and levelling automatically two different samples. I don't remember the source...

I use an anolog system of mine, subtracting with a very fast OPA (to avoid Phase problems) the original program to the reproduced one in real time. It is not 100% subtracted, but you can multiply by 1000 the ratio distortion level/signal level, and listen to it.
Very helpful and affraying when you measure out of an power amp feeding real loudspeakers !!!!! Very easy to build one, worth a try.

Kevin, my staff will be astonished that there's anyone out there older than I am. jneutron is just a whippersnapper, a kid, a man-child... but still, nice to know that we're not the only ones who will celebrate tomorrow by getting bombed.

Yo old timer. I thought you were the 8th?? Or was it the 6th??

I forgot, too old to remember...

But yes, I'm a whippersnapper to you, but only by a year..giver or take..

jn

Christophe,
Do you mind posting your comparison system on here?
It was inspired by the first first stage of my protection system, > 20 years old: [COLOR=#0000FF ]http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/solid-state/221737-ultimate-amp-protection-circuit-new-post.html[/COLOR]
Followed by a linear amplifier circuit amplifying the error content to can listen-to via headphones, or record-it, or look at it on a scope. On simple box with two volumes, one to equalize the levels, one to fine tune them.

SY, how do you look sooo young ? I imagined-you 40.

Last edited:
If some try to record the way you propose, you will have poor sounding, boring and incoherent records.
Just to give-you an idea: how can-you hear a singer in the same time than a heavy metal guitar ? No way.
You have to tune their levels, presences, reverberations, to create a credible landscape. Some instruments are masked by others in the mixs, to let you able to listen to some details of those ask a huge work, torturing their response curves and dynamic.
Some instruments are poor sounding, and the work of the sound engineer is to make them very nice.
At the end, the record you feel recorded in a huge hall, had often been recorded in a little studio, and many musicians had not even meet them during the recording sessions.
As regards recording a drum kit, this is highly instructive: - Less Is More - Minimal Drum Miking : Recording Magazine -. Note particularly the sequence leading to the last paragraph ...

Plus, some time ago was reading about the efforts of a chap who records musical groups in a natural acoustic space, and releases the results, with a single microphone pair. Yes, a pure stereo pair, on a group with vocalist, electric guitars and drums. How is it done? By using placement and distancing of the musicians from the mic's techniques. And it is very effective by all accounts, a very natural perspective is heard. Unfortunately, can't track down the website at the moment, will mention it if I find it yonder ...

Frank

That being the case after the recording is finished I can not see any way that any hifi system can then make something better than it is at that point. You could change something, remove to much high frequency content or boost the bass if that is what you want but that is no longer a true reproduction of what is in the recorded music. You can not make a bad recording good, if you have subjectively done that you have change it from its original final form.
Again, this is not the way it is. A "bad" recording sounds obnoxious IF the reproduction system compounds the problem by injecting yet further distortion into the mix. The type of distortion added in playback is of a very different kind from that in the recording, and the listener's poor brain overloads trying to sort it out -- a fast road to hearing fatigue.

So, the idea is not to make the recording better; it is, to not make it any worse than it already is, and that's the hard bit. Most systems are far from clean, and that just makes the chances of enjoying a difficult recording that much less. It only takes one experience of hearing a supposed poor recording completely come to life to realise that so much poppycock is said of such things ..

Frank

Status
Not open for further replies.