John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm a monophonic kind of guy. One REALLY GOOD SPEAKER is generally enough for me. Why this is so, I am not sure, but for the first 20 years of my life, I really had not heard stereo, and when I finally did, it was only through headphones. I did not have stereo (Khorns) until 1970, and they were not the best choice for stereo imaging.
Of course, many of my associates, like Brian Cheney, Dave Wilson, and Bob Crump (one of the C's in CTC) were imaging fanatics, and sometimes I have been VERY impressed with their set-up, either in their home or at a CES.
I have always concentrated on sound QUALITY. This differs from what most here seem to be concerned about. I have rarely achieved adequate sound QUALITY from any sound system, but I have been impressed, sometimes.
I have found that every detail must be attended to: good software (records are best, or analog master tapes) the highest quality electronics that I can make, and very good loudspeakers, especially with damped and rigid cabinets.
For ULTIMATE fidelity I have always found electrostatic headphones the best, and what I use, even today, to evaluate audio electronics.
I will stick to my preferences, and leave subtle time delays behind for the rest of you to squabble over. '-)

I have found output inductors audible. You are mistaken, in my case, bonsai. I have not used an output inductor for the last 22 years. I have literally thousands of amps out in with world without output inductors, with virtually no problem. Of course, there may be a complex load, somewhere, that might need the inductor. It could be added, if you want. If I wanted to tease you, I might ask you what inductance value that you think necessary?

We are living in a strange time, where scientists can evaluate the weight and life story of giant black holes situated in center of invisible galaxies at the edge of the universe, where others manipulate invisible protons and neutrons in particle accelerators, where some technicians are able to land a car on Mars and have-it cruising on the planet for months, taking HQ color photographies while making a lot of scientific measurements, while some "audio for the few" sellers pretend some power cords can change the sound signature of any systems by some magical effect they are unable to justify.

Reading the "I'm a monophonic kind of guy" of John, and unable myself to enjoy 5+1 systems for music listening, while i could not enjoy a single speaker reproduction, i asked myself a question. Is there an age at witch our brains cease to learn and recognize new sounds, a definitive requisite for musical 'make believe' reproduction ?

And, because our life's histories and culture can be so different, and our equipments so far from perfection, can-we pretend any hifi component to be "The best" ?

What do the hell can have in common a guy, enjoying at 100db spl the last LED ZEP digital album on a high efficiency horn system, with the one who spend his time to listen to baroque music from a vinyl turntable via a mono Quad enclosure ?

Hoping they can agree about musical reproduction realism is like hoping a Martian and a earthling can agree about the color reproduction accuracy of the last Nikon body.
http://www.rsvlts.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/Screen-Shot-2012-08-12-at-8.57.13-AM.png

Last edited:
Why should I have to 'agree' with you, esperado? I am an audio expert in my own right, with almost 50 years of experience behind me. I know what I like and what is important to me. However, I DO listen in stereo, and even with rear background sound for TV movies, but I do not hold it as the most important factor in audio design.
By the way, LED ZEP, is pretty good on video. That is how I listen to them, on occasion.
My favorite rock album in vinyl is LOVE OVER GOLD.
By the way, do you know Yves? If you do, he must drive you crazy. He is MUCH more radical than me. '-)

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
I can't afford to buy stuff
It's a bit difficult for me to record the beach as the nearest power is some km. away and I don't have a good portable recorder with 4 x P48V mike inputs. I hope this pic will suffice for now. It isn't always as nice as this cos crocodiles. I often see sharks, turtles & stingrays. About 30min walk from my hut.
[*] Internet arrives in Cooktown at 28kB

Let me know and I'll send you a PCM portable recorder (batteries included) and what ever else you need. Thx-RNM

www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
I have found output inductors audible. You are mistaken, in my case, bonsai. I have not used an output inductor for the last 22 years. I have literally thousands of amps out in with world without output inductors, with virtually no problem. Of course, there may be a complex load, somewhere, that might need the inductor. It could be added, if you want. If I wanted to tease you, I might ask you what inductance value that you think necessary?

No need to try to tease me ;)

I use between 0.5uH and 2uH depending on the amplifier phase margin. The 180W e-Amp uses about 0.7uH and my big 250 Watter uses 1.6uH.

Let me know and I'll send you a PCM portable recorder (batteries included) and what ever else you need. Thx-RNM
I'm very touched by your offer Mr. Marsh. But couldn't possibly take you up on it. The stuff with 4 good P48V mike inputs is rather expensive.

If you and Scott turn up with a bottle or 2, I'll try to show you a shark, turtle or stingray in return. Crocs too. But I have to recommend the Sovereign Hotel rather than my shed for the night.

Why should I have to 'agree' with you, esperado? I am an audio expert in my own right, with almost 50 years of experience behind me. I know what I like and what is important to me. However, I DO listen in stereo, and even with rear background sound for TV movies, but I do not hold it as the most important factor in audio design.
By the way, LED ZEP, is pretty good on video. That is how I listen to them, on occasion.
My favorite rock album in vinyl is LOVE OVER GOLD.
By the way, do you know Yves? If you do, he must drive you crazy. He is MUCH more radical than me. '-)
I don't know him (i prefer the company of beautiful girls, artists and musicians) , but i read some of his interview. We agree on that, he drive me crazy, or to be more precise, his speeches make me laugh a lot.

I don't dream we can agree on anything, John, as i said, we are probably living on a different planet with an opposite way to organize our thoughts and way to work.
And a different way to deal with our egos.
I would love to harvest a little of your knowledge and personal experience, and, believe-me i have a lot of sympathy and respect to you.
And i know you are a great audio designer. Not because your name is on Google (i'm not impressed by the fake star system and famous names you constantly refer to), but because i have worked with some products you have collaborated to, and looked at their schematics.

The thing is i am crazy to see you lost your time talking loop to useless personal and purely subjective subjects, like sound of cables, with no track we can use, instead of talking about electronic engineering, with schematics, measurements, maths and analyzes we can share.

And i don't understand why you fee as soon we want to explore with a scientific approach a technical subject.
You are like a rock, locked on yourself. You don't want to give anything or take anything from others.

Last edited:
If you and Scott turn up with a bottle or 2, I'll try to show you a shark, turtle or stingray in return. Crocs too. But I have to recommend the Sovereign Hotel rather than my shed for the night.
Although, nights in a sleeping bag on the beach gives better remembrances than any nights in five stars hotels, all boring and the same.

kgrlee, i envy-you. I have no way to go so far now, could-you accept me by thought at you side, in your lost paradise, just for a short moment ?
I will invite-you, in return in my little village, directly issued from middle age:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...Antonin.jpg/280px-BeffroiFacade-StAntonin.jpg
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...StAntonin.jpg/250px-MaisonDuRoy-StAntonin.jpg
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...0px-Saint-Antonin-Noble-Val_vue_du_lavoir.jpg

kgrlee, i envy-you. I have no way to go so far now, could-you accept me by thought at you side, in your lost paradise, just for a short moment ?
I will invite-you, in return in my little village, directly issued from middle age:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...Antonin.jpg/280px-BeffroiFacade-StAntonin.jpg
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...StAntonin.jpg/250px-MaisonDuRoy-StAntonin.jpg
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...0px-Saint-Antonin-Noble-Val_vue_du_lavoir.jpg
You are welcome to come to Cooktown too. Not a good idea to sleep on the beach because of the crocs though.

Thank you for the invitation to your beautiful village. But where are the virgins you were telling me about? :confused:

Following one of Kgrlee's links I got to this one:
http://www.audiosystemsgroup.com/TransLines-LowFreq.pdf
Interesting.
I'm desperate. On the way to build my DACs right in my speaker's enclosures.
Although, i remember we used telephone lines to transmit live concerts to the FM radio station, from tens of kilometers and it was working not so bad.
Thank you for the invitation to your beautiful village. But where are the virgins you were telling me about?
Myths and legends. No one can find a virgin old enough to handcraft a power cord. The last one was burned in Rouen in May 1431. Power cords where not yet invented at this time.

wrinkle said:
Following one of Kgrlee's links I got to this one:
http://www.audiosystemsgroup.com/TransLines-LowFreq.pdf
A good summary. It shows:
- you can't 'terminate' an audio cable (Fig 1 - unless you have added inductance to remove the dispersion)
- propagation speed is slower at lower frequencies (Fig 2)
- fortunately that doesn't matter, as 'line wavelength' still lengthens with lower frequency but slower than in free space (Fig 3)

What do the hell can have in common a guy, enjoying at 100db spl the last LED ZEP digital album on a high efficiency horn system, with the one who spend his time to listen to baroque music from a vinyl turntable via a mono Quad enclosure?
If both systems work correctly, quite a lot. My appreciation of systems for quite some time has been very digital: either 0, there is a deficiency in the sound which marks it as 'hifi', in a pejorative sense; or 1, I can't detect that deficiency. And as far as I'm concerned both of those setups could be winners, get a tick. From the angle I come from, if a system can't get the Led Zep right then the baroque will also fail; and vice versa. I have no trouble putting examples mimicing that combination on in succession, and fully appreciating each as powerful musical experiences -- if the system is on song ...

Frank

I heard my 'first' quality power cord more than 20 years ago. One of my former clients, Ed, the owner of Crystal Clear Records, (a direct disc firm), demoed one at a CES. We were all surprised, yet we could not see WHY anybody in their right mind would pay $500 for one.
From Ed's point of view, it gave $500 in audio quality improvement, so it was worth it. I think that Ed was a little ahead of his time.

The second time that I started comparing power cords was with my STAX Lambda Pro, vacuum tube drive headphone system.
Amazingly, the STAX is one of the most sensitive to line cords of anything else in my inventory.
Initially a relatively 'skinny' Belden line cord won. After that I tried line filters with some success, in series with the line cord. Today, for the STAX, I use a very exotic hand made power cord called a SLVR by TG that my former business partner used in his own system until his unfortunate demise. Works great!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.