John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Disabled Account
Joined 2012
The use of multiple isolation transformers and filter accomplishes the Isolation I said was needed. However, you should not be ganging equipment together on a common outlet/strip - even after line isolation.

Also, I didnt say how much was common-mode and how much is differentail mode in the noise -- you need to learn about that in order to make effective filters. Thx-RNM

If you not looking for "audiophile" cables you could try screened CAT 6 cable - there will be many speaker cables that sound worse. I didn't try screened speaker cables yet but it's on my list
That i was looking for, as i 'tend to prefer cables witch conduct electricity". But they have a W22 gauge for the best of them: need a lot of cables in //. Occasion to ask to Jneutron how to build a cable with 6 ohms impedance from several 100 Ohms ones ?

diyAudio Member RIP
Joined 2005
Hi John,

PIM most certainly can occur in the absence of negative feedback, and I have measured it and shown it in theory. This has been pointed out by myself and others many, many times, including on this thread. Any situation where the signal will cause phase to change as a function of signal will create PIM. There are numerous such mechanisms in most amplifiers, some stronger than others. Any amplifier in which the bandwidth is a function of signal creates PIM. Video designers have been worried about differential gain and phase for over 60 years, and those amplifiers generally did not employ negative feedback.

Cheers,
Bob

And not to veer too much here, but generalizations of nonlinear system behavior that look at all systems, with feedback local and global, feedforward, and feedback-free, will demonstrate many features in common, particularly the origin and growth (including the special cases of cancellations) of harmonic and intermodulation distortions. And when one tosses in nonsmooth or nonmonotonic behavior, like certain types of crossover distortion, it really gets messy.

mikelm, the 'resonances' you describe are simply wonky stability. Many (all?) Golden Pinnae power amps suffer from this.

If you test them with real speakers, you often see bursts of oscillation on part of the waveform. This will be dependent on the level and thermal & signal history of the amp. Easily visible on a scope and audible too. No ABX bla bla needed.

If you measure distortion under those conditions, you'll see distortion MUCH greater than on the usual 8R loads.

No wonder Golden Pinnae amps sound different but in my book, these are NOT good amps.

An important take on this for preamps is that decoupling & stability are VITAL for good sound.

The physical PCB layouts are an important part of this and few people understand what is needed.

Many people substituting HP OPAs for cheapo in circuits are simply hearing really bad oscillation & distortion cos these high strung racehorses dun like the mundane environments they are suddenly shoved into.

Frank, Microwave Office might sim. what such PCB layouts do but IMHO, the design of PCB layouts for good sound is, if not an Art, still a Craft, requiring both experience & good insight.

But to get back to Blowtorch ...

JC, what results did you get with the Hirata tests you conducted on Fri?

Quan's patent is US20110002472A1.

If someone can build a Quan box and bring it to JC, we'll see how a first class preamp performs on this really important test.

The physical PCB layouts are an important part of this and few people understand what is needed.
.. the design of PCB layouts for good sound is, if not an Art, still a Craft, requiring both experience & good insight.
Just take the feedback point in a poweramp from elsewhere than the exact output point (with symmetrical path to each side of the power devices outputs) , and you have all the chances to see distortion increased by a factor of 10.
Experienced in 1970.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
The use of multiple isolation transformers and filter accomplishes the Isolation I said was needed. However, you should not be ganging equipment together on a common outlet/strip - even after line isolation.
Yes indeed! A few years back Gary Pimm and I were testing some AC line filters. One in particular seemed better at keeping noise in than keeping it out. :( I.E., the AC line at the plug was dirtier with, than without, the filter because it prevented noise from draining out down the AC line. You certainty would not want to gang together a noisy and a sensitive device on that same line.

Having said all that - even though my audio system sounds much better for all my filtration efforts - I still noticed a spike on my scope connected to my amps when I turn off a light - that was a bit depressing !

Mike, this should not happen. Even if a refrigerator or any contactor starts, there should be nothing at the speaker's terminals. And it is achievable.

sorry I thought "excite a resonance" was precise enough.

If one hits the soundboard of a guitar one impulse comes to the face the guitar and this excites a resonance in each of the strings. The frequency is different for each string according to it's own conditions but the same impulse has excited all of the strings.

Hitting the sound board is a mechanical impulse it excites all resonances. If you take a 1 MHz parallel resonant circuit and put a 1kHz oscillator across it you will not get any 1 MHz unless there is some rectification or non-linearity that makes a 1 MHz excitation.

About 30 years ago, Dr. Hirata published another paper that showed the differences between a number of discrete amplifier designs, both tube and transistor. It made a difference in these cases. As I recall, the best amp was the Marantz tube 8B, and the worst amp measured was the Crown DC-300.

John, do you have the title of this paper and the name of the journal where it appeared ?

One trafo feeds the power amp, one feeds the pre-amp/phono stage combo, one feeds the CDP and the fourth feeds gear with switching PSUs, namely universal player, music/home theater PC and home theater receiver. When listening to stereo music, most of the times those 3 with switching PSUs are switched off. The PC may be turned on at times, in the future. The turntable motor is fed from a different power line.

Also, to the TV goes screened power cord, connected to AC mains filter/splitter, which also feeds the satellite TV receiver/converter.

Also, I didnt say how much was common-mode and how much is differentail mode in the noise -- you need to learn about that in order to make effective filters.

Both common-mode and differential-mode RFI are filtered. I didn't measure it, however, practically, I got very good results, judging by the improvement in sound quality.

Would anyone suggest better filtering, I'll try it.

Status
Not open for further replies.