John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
You do not understand the problem as I meant..probably poor explaining on my part... That is of course not an issue which will stand between us. If you wish to discuss it further, PM me. Or, we can do here for the benefit of others.
Yes, continue here. You said:

Any modification of the ground loop path will modify the system. Flux loop trapping is the culprit here, not any material properties of the cables.
And the first part I agree with. Ground loop path variations will effect the system to some degree, and may subjectively alter the sound quality. I have gone through many iterations of dealing with such matters, can't say I always have a firm handle on what works and what doesn't, but understand the potential impact.

However, what I was responding to was your stating that the change wasn't due to material properties. I have done tweaking for many years where the electrical layout has not changed in the conventional sense, including loop pickup and have still seen the effects. In one sense anytime anything is moved, even at the most minute level, loop pickup will alter but the difference between a good vs. a less good arrangement is too dramatic for changes in flux to be the cause in what I've experienced.

Frank

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
Does that mean the expensive ones can read your mind, or have the "psychic" means to eyeball your prototype .. :D ?

Frank
haha. Almost -- they can calculate the trace parameters and pcb material (or substrate) and include all the trace factors amoungst other things - like thermal gradients and emi and for RF - the S parameters and much more. Even suggest best routes for path lengths and Z and timing events, delays and on and on. Not LT free software being used here. Why Scott W. says his company has spent millions on their SIM's. Thus, can do a complete design and be sure it will work without issues and go right to fab.

Last edited:
haha. Almost -- they can calculate the trace parameters and pcb material (or substrate) and include all the trace factors amoungst other things - like thermal gradients and emi and for RF - the S parameters and much more. Even suggest best routes for path lengths and Z and timing events, delays and on and on. Not LT free software being used here. Why Scotts says his company has spent millions on their SIM's. Thus, can do a complete design and be sure it will work without issues and go right to fab.
So all designers can be fired soon and replaced by SIM-operators? Sad...

haha. Almost -- they can calculate the trace parameters and pcb material (or substrate) and include all the trace factors amoungst other things - like thermal gradients and emi and for RF - the S parameters and much more. Even suggest best routes for path lengths and Z and timing events, delays and on and on. Not LT free software being used here. Why Scott W. says his company has spent millions on their SIM's. Thus, can do a complete design and be sure it will work without issues and go right to fab.
Impressive! But, do they use such for their evaluation boards? And, could a completely human designed and constructed PCB be effectively scanned and analysed? Or would the effort to input such make it not worthwhile?

Frank

To be serious, while SIMs programs do not change anything to the process they fast and simplify, i wonder if the loss of contact with calculations during design, and real parts during prototype, as well as the oscilloscope witch is some king of prolongation of ourself, will not finish by cutting us away from a physical knowledge, something incarnated we acquire with time.

You know, the "Add-it, it sound better, remove-it, it sound better".

Thank-you for not observing that it is typically an old fart questioning.

Last edited:
To be serious, while SIMs programs do not change anything to the process they fast and simplify, i wonder if the loss of contact with calculations during design, and real parts during prototype, as well as the oscilloscope witch is some king of prolongation of ourself, will not finish by cutting us away from a physical knowledge, something incarnated we acquire with time.

You know, the "Add-it, it sound better, remove-it, it sound better".

Thank-you for not observing that it is typically an old fart questioning.

I am absolutely agree with you. It is easy to calibrate own perception and learn to think in terms of schematics, "feel" and "hear" distortions imagining waveforms, spectrums, when working with breadboards, tools, soldering iron. But how somebody would expect to design something really new using computer models only? It's like building a "poetry" by copying and pasting from schoolbooks and dictionaries. Dull and boring.

Joined 2002
Paid Member
Very well, but some quibbles: minimum phase can apply to nonlinear systems as well. The only requirement is that the phase be the derivative of the amplitude response wrt to frequency. And single valued functions indeed contain no loops, but if (for example) you have a 2d function unwinding in a 3d space, you can inadvertently have multiple values which are not loops in the 2d representation. Rooms have 3 dimensions (assuming the room size is time invariant!), the signal applied to them has one dimension plus time. So, no minimum phase (there's delays from reflections) and multiply valued (amplitude varies over space as well as time).

Thank you SY for the answer (and I'll stick to linear systems).
So any acoustic resonances (room and speaker enclosure 3D space) are non equalizable.
Effects from structure vibrations (e.g. driver or enclosure, if not damped) are non equalizable.
Effects from cone break-up are non equalizable.
I wonder if there can exist an acoustic or mechanical resonance that is not plagued by your last sentense.

George

Joined 2002
Paid Member
Ya know...it kinda does, doesn't it??:eek:

Buuuut...I have experimental evidence...he does not..

jn

I meant it well. I respect this man.
When he was theorizing the capacitor as a transmission line, he already had some real life indications while with Motorola. Later it seems he had some proof with the fabrication of high speed digital stuff.

And then it was you with that post :)

George

Hi gpapag, sy, all
When you move from circuits to acoustics, you enter a new domain where “it depends”.
Take cone resonance, that is a resonant system between the motor and radiator in the equivalent circuit. Lets say the response curve looks nice up to say 3KHz where it mounds to a peak of say +10dB over the average level.
You can use a steep or brickwall crossover or eq the response and to first order, one has “fixes” the problem of the excess gain from the mechanical resonance and it’s fixed in magnitude and phase. On the other hand, that mechanical gain is still present and although the response can be flattened, you cannot get rid of the magnification of the motors natural distortion at sub-multiples of the resonant peak. For example, that +10dB gain at 3KHz, will magnify the 3rd harmonic at 1KHz by +10dB also as well as harmonics at other lower frequencies.
In a room, you usually have a mixture of minimum and non minimum phase conditions. The old rule of thumb was only cut peaks and the logic was the following. When you have a deep notch in the response, you have a “cancelation notch” which is (in a room) usually caused by the direct sound combing with a delayed version of the same signal. If you boost the notch, you are adding energy to the source and the canceling signal BOTH, a non-minimum phase condition.
If you measure speakers, you may have seen a notch in the upper bass, a cancelation notch resulting from the direct path signal mixing with the floor bounce signal, the lowest notch frequency, is where the path length difference is 180 degrees. You can’t add enough boost at that frequency to fix it and any you add also applies a phase correct which isn’t appropriate. EQ is a double edged sword.
Best
Tom Danley

Status
Not open for further replies.