John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
You're asking me to take the time to do free work that has (as far as I can see) no particular point. If there is a point, you haven't stated it. Now you're asking me to do free work using an inappropriate tool to make it as drudgery-filled as possible. Still no point.

Thanks, but no. Your analogy to John backing up his claims absolutely escapes me.

You're asking me to take the time to do free work that has (as far as I can see) no particular point. If there is a point, you haven't stated it. Now you're asking me to do free work using an inappropriate tool to make it as drudgery-filled as possible. Still no point.

Thanks, but no. Your analogy to John backing up his claims absolutely escapes me.

But you seem to have time more than enough to answer or correct many other stu..d posts. Something is wrong here.

What does it prove if someone has unsupported subjective claims? Web and paper can withstand everything.

Exactly. Most of gross unsupported claims are strict logical constructions based on misunderstanding of basic concepts. No point in criticizing logical constructions that can be perfect, if not to know where is the error in basic assumptions.

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
When, in late 1989, after the previous business had failed, a recruiter had me interview with Harman. Besides a flock of interrogations with various vice presidents and managers, I had to take a written test. It was based on one administered to FAEs and others at Tektronix. Multiple choice (but show your work), pretty basic, with some discrete components, a tiny bit of Boolean algebra and other logic circuitry. The time limit was 30 minutes.

I was ushered to the cafeteria, which was initially quiet. Within five minutes it filled with line workers. I soldiered on. The very cold fish of a Human Resources person came to collect the thing at the end of the period. I could already tell that he disliked me intensely after our little chats.

I aced it, one of a couple who got a perfect score. When I went over it with Brad Plunkett, he asked me if I were sure of one of the Boolean questions, and when I said yes I was pretty confident, he marked that answer on the sheet he had :)

One of the questions was a cleverly worded one about the voltage at the output of a C-R voltage divider with sinusoidal excitation. Many many people got that wrong, including a VP from Harman-Motive, who wiggled and wriggled to insist that he was right, according to BP.

I also took comprehensive tests years ago and aced both of them. One head hunter never called me back as he said I was over qualified for the jobs he had and that no one ever aced it. hey. sure there are phase angles to consider in Z with L,C and R elements. Gotta run. Zoomin' all the time.
Next!

diyAudio Member RIP
Joined 2005
The Harman experience started in characteristic corporate fashion. I was informed that the initial position for which I had interviewed had been withdrawn. Two months or so later, as I was doing a little consulting for an MD at the Brentwood VA hospital, I was called back. The old position still didn't exist anymore, but a manager of the technicians had decided to quit, and they really needed a replacement for him in a hurry. So, as I was rapidly running out of money and credit, I accepted the job --- or, that is, went back in for more interrogation, as this was now a management position!!!

As I took the verbal test with Jim Walker, the VP of HR and a most amusing character, he said at one point These are great answers! I don't recall if I told him at that point that I'd spent some time as the president of a ~30-employee company a short time before.

Then I met my reports. The Technicians from Hell. But that's another story. By the time I left to do consulting in 1994, I'd been promoted to Principal Engineer. When I chatted with the VP of Engineering of Harman-Motive, who had just taken over the original company I was in, he cheered me by openly questioning how in the world I'd ever achieved that title. A real sweetheart, and another cold fish whose nick behind his back was Dead Ed. :D

I was lucky, Bcarso, when I worked for HK, JBL, I was a consultant. They didn't have to 'test' me, just not believe me when I tried to help. I hung out with the VP's then, for the most part and did most of my prototyping in my own space in California. I had Kuby, Eargle and a bunch of other guys to relate to. They actually believed in quality differences then, of the most subtle sort.

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2012

One of the tests/interviews got me a job at LLNL over 4 decades ago. Later, I got a friend an interview at LLNL with MS in ME and a MS in CS and post grad work on an EE degree (I thought he was a professional student with super high IQ); he didnt get the job. he was a very theory oriented type of guy. Oh well. It takes all types. Almost. I ended up as a Senior EE technical coordinator for large physic programs/projects.... management. Havent had to design/engineer anything serious in 30+ years. I havent had a 9-5 job in 15 years. Just cruising and doing what I like, now. Glad i'm off the Merry -Go-'Round. So dont beat me up too badly here on old details and the small stuff. For me its about concepts and ideas. Or organizational issues but that's not needed here. :headshot:

Last edited:
diyAudio Member RIP
Joined 2005
I was lucky, Bcarso, when I worked for HK, JBL, I was a consultant. They didn't have to 'test' me, just not believe me when I tried to help. I hung out with the VP's then, for the most part and did most of my prototyping in my own space in California. I had Kuby, Eargle and a bunch of other guys to relate to. They actually believed in quality differences then, of the most subtle sort.

I miss John Eargle very much, a real gentleman and a wonderful recording engineer. His multichannel recordings are IMO among the very best. I didn't know Kuby, unfortunately, or Ed May, Rich May's dad, or Bart Locanthi. Just got in the door a bit too late. But I always admired the quality of the old JBL transducers, and my father used to make custom systems for the rich and famous using JBL drivers exclusively.

diyAudio Member RIP
Joined 2005
Johns sampler recordings show how good digital can be.
Those are two of my favorite demo silvers.

John did a great talk a while ago (maybe about 9 years?) at the local AES chapter. I sat with him at dinner and he eschewed any wine, lest it detract from his talk to come. I saved a glass for him, and when he finished his prepared portion of the presentation I ran up to the podium with the glass :D

Those are two of my favorite demo silvers.

John did a great talk a while ago (maybe about 9 years?) at the local AES chapter. I sat with him at dinner and he eschewed any wine, lest it detract from his talk to come. I saved a glass for him, and when he finished his prepared portion of the presentation I ran up to the podium with the glass :D

Could you please give a bit more info on these recordings?
Thanks.

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
super sound sacd

100% agreed, they're as good as commercially recorded orchestra gets. I'm big on minimalist recording, but guys like him are a constant reminder that it's just a prejudice.

Try Water Lily ... purist - 2 mike recordings... all analog recording. Meeting by the River -- originally only on LP - now on CD/SACD. This is one I helped my friend sallie reynolds produce. Ultra clean and no compression, eq or anything except the Master musicianship. [Recorded inside a small church in santa barbara.]

Just bought 2 of the recommended CD by J.E. Thx. returning the favor -RNM

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.