John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
diyAudio Member RIP
Joined 2005
A good concert space is big. No early reflections, then dense reflections. Can't put a big space in a small one, so the acoustic part is impossible. But, like you say, that's now. Who knows what could be done with the equivalent of headphones and lots of processing. I've heard there's some work being done with head position sensors and appropriate video. Who says blind testing's the answer?

Thanks,
Chris

Of course headphones are the "easy"cop-out, although the head position sensing and appropriate adjustments to the presentation make things more palatable.

I'm not a fan of brains in vats though.

What you are describing, fas42, is exactly what I go after. I can achieve the MOST success where my close associates and I control both the design and construction. The Blowtorch was made this way. I can get only relatively perfect success when I have my designs made offshore, by others who may be compliant, but not as aggressive at 'getting it right'.
It is sort of what you get when you buy a Honda product rather than an expensive Mercedes, you might say.
Thanks for your comments, John. I've found up to now it's a pretty lonely road to travel down when you know that much better can be achieved from sound reproduction than what is generally accepted by people in the audio community. It is rather tragic that many people never, ever experience how magical, how overwhelmingly superb reproduction can get from plain old stereo if all the right buttons are pressed ...

Until the industry "gets" it, then your only options are to be anal, as abraxalito puts it, or find other people who will be such on your behalf, and possibly charge much moolah for you to gain the benefit of such effort ... 'tis a shame ...

Frank

the brain is very good at letting you hear what you want to hear.....

and no matter how good your system sounds, you are still hearing the facsimile of the original sound....so what is the big deal?....

as long as you get goosebumps whenever you listen to your system, or as long as you get emotions out of the experience, when you are swayed to tap your foot, then you know that your system is good.....

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
I guess that's why MBL sounds so "realistic." - omni-directional.

Discrete surround sound helps too.

Siegfried Linkwitz has done some exciting work in that regards with his 'Watson' project (see his website). He will present a paper on his findings at the fall AES. Hopefully he can be persuaded to show it at the BAF as well!

jan

Joined 2002
Paid Member
I've written often about where I personally believe we're blocked- and that is the stereo paradigm

Because of the stereo paradigm….

It may require some more time (which you may don’t have) to explain, but I guess you really want to say something here. What is this stereo paradigm?
I did an advanced search with these two keywords and “SY” but nothing more than these two posts showed up.

George

I may have used a different label, but it gets down to compressing a large 3D soundfield into 2 single valued functions using transducers with fixed polar patterns, then transducing those functions at two places in a different acoustic space using transducers that also have fixed polar patterns. The amazing thing is that it works at all, not that it isn't perfect.

Given that insane amount of data compression, I have a hard time getting worked up about the plating metallurgy of line cord plugs.:D

I've heard a lot of high end stereo systems, including John's, and have never heard any of them sound "real" or "open up the back wall and recreate an illusion of the original acoustic space." But maybe I'm too picky. In some very limited demonstrations of Gerzon and Fellgett's Ambiphonics, I've heard things come much closer, but it never proved to be commercially viable nor practical in anything but very controlled demos with very specific recordings.

I've heard a lot of high end stereo systems, including John's, and have never heard any of them sound "real" or "open up the back wall and recreate an illusion of the original acoustic space." But maybe I'm too picky
Probably not. It's bloody hard work to get a system working this well, but, once you've heard it happen there are no longer any if's or but's about such being possible. Unfortunately, it doesn't mean you can get this quality from then on any time you feel like it, on demand so to speak; but you then have a very clear goal, you know precisely what you're aiming for ...

Frank

I've heard a lot of high end stereo systems, including John's, and have never heard any of them sound "real" or "open up the back wall and recreate an illusion of the original acoustic space."

The good system with properly placed speakers (usually smaller ones rather than big ones) is able to "create" nice "space" even to the depth.

But - it would never be the original acoustic space, for the reason that it is a) impossible to capture original sound field be several mikes and b) it is impossible to re-create the original space in totally different acoustical conditions.

So, we get something with very good space and localization, but far from the original.

It's bloody hard work to get a system working this well, but, once you've heard it happen there are no longer any if's or but's about such being possible.

Well, in 45 years of playing with this stuff, hearing hundreds of high end setups, including in the homes of famous designers, magazine reviewers, fanatic and well-heeled audiophiles, textbook authors, and at various audio exhibitions, I have yet to hear ANYTHING stereo which has sounded even vaguely like "real instruments playing in a real space." At best, I hear "a very nice stereo system" (e.g., John Curl's or Nelson Pass's) or "a very effective analytical tool for deformulating studio and production methods" (e.g., my own).

You might argue that none of the various stereo systems over the years meet your setup standards, and I can't prove otherwise, but I suspect that at least a few of these guys know what they're doing.

Joined 2002
Paid Member

Thank you SY

but it gets down to compressing a large 3D soundfield into 2 single valued functions..

The word “paradigm” tells me that your reservations are targeted towards the top (theory, concept) and not towards the implementation.

Do you have thoughts for any of the following?

Where there sound reasons/important objectives for conceiving it in the first place?
Was the knowledge adequate to formulate the then theory?
Was the theory capable of meeting the set objectives?
Had the theory to be trimmed for to be implementable and/or marketable?

… I have a hard time getting worked up about the plating metallurgy of line cord plugs.:D

I am scratching my head too. Besides, metallurgy is far away from fashion , sex and entertainment :D:D

George

Status
Not open for further replies.