John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I was talking to someone who has worked with research audiologists looking at musicians with hearing loss (Most, even classical). The brain scans suggest that they can reconstruct the missing parts pretty accurately even if the stimulus (serious hearing loss) is not there. I will try to get more details on this since its very interesting stuff

I was talking to someone who has worked with research audiologists looking at musicians with hearing loss (Most, even classical). The brain scans suggest that they can reconstruct the missing parts pretty accurately even if the stimulus (serious hearing loss) is not there. I will try to get more details on this since its very interesting stuff
When playing on stage there are usually at least some monitoring problems so any musician worth his/her salt will be used to having to play with minimal cues. Usually as long as long as some timing (drums/bass) can be heard a good player can do their thing. Hearing loss, sleep deprivation, drug induced haze, apathy toward the material being performed; Good players can usually overcome these obstacles.

It is not about left-right brain. It is about perception that recreates absent information in order to recognize the subject. 3 major processes of perception:

1. Deletion
2. Distortion
3. Generalization

Deletion omits an information that is irrelevant to the perceived image
Distortion changes it to fit the profile
Generalization sticks it to some classification already known.

As the result we perceive rotating woman when actually it is changing set of black and white pixels on the screen. Even not white, but rather mix of 3 colors.

Edit: The same happens with audio. And less of efforts are needed to do this 3 perception works, the more naturally we recognize sounds and the environment in which they were captured. The more it is High-End-ish.

Last edited:
I can make her switch at will by averted vision left or right.

Me too. But I switch by assumption: "What if..."
That means, you and me have better trained imagination. When I evaluate some audio system I close eyes and try to imagine real sources of sounds. If it is easier, the system is better. If It is harder, and I still hear speakers, amps, and it is harder to imagine that they don't exist, it is worse.

It can explain as well why musicians can hear and enjoy an orchestra playing through cheap transistor radio speaker. They (we) can easier imagine what is absent, and hear more.

Last edited:
Thanks Jneutron, your explanation for your resistor configuration was interesting.
You are welcome.

If you ever decide to persue this, let me know, I'll assist if you wish.

My first resistors used simple clad perfboard, but I've also used 1/8th copper with drilled holes in a hexagonal array for packing density. Recently aquired an x/y/rotary machining stage for my wooden gear clock stuff, it would be perfect for drilling an array of holes into copper. Once the resistors are soldered, the whole kittenkaboodle can be epoxied to a heatsink form using stycast thermal epoxy, that'll get back the sum of the dissipation rating.

Since I have published this in the public domain, there are no costs associated with IP.

Oh btw. The best I've ever measured is 250 pH, I cannot reliably measure below that. If I need to do so, I'd have to toss a 250 pSec step into it and look for overshoot. 250 picoseconds is how fast a mercury wetted relay lets go. 350 on make. (IIRC, could be t'other way round, it's been 31 years.)

jn

DIYaudio is nothing if not versatile. As well as nonsense about electronics, maths and physics you can now also read nonsense about brain physiology and perception.

PS I couldn't see the man in the coffee beans (see link in post by SY) - does that mean I am stupid or just that I need to eat more protein?

I saw him even though I was looking for a global (one of those hidden object picture puzzles) man made out of multiple beans. I'm also good at finding lost golf (goof) balls.

You are welcome.

Oh btw. The best I've ever measured is 250 pH, I cannot reliably measure below that. If I need to do so, I'd have to toss a 250 pSec step into it and look for overshoot. 250 picoseconds is how fast a mercury wetted relay lets go. 350 on make. (IIRC, could be t'other way round, it's been 31 years.)

jn

TEK 109 one of my first toys, 109 pulsgenerator GR connectors and all.

BTW the fastest I've seen reported was 1000v and 20A at 109ps, right up your alley.

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
I can make her switch at will by averted vision left or right.

That's quit clever. In other words... you dont look directly at it but off to the side vision of one or the other. Of course, you know the eyes go to opposite sides of the brain than thier physical location.

Which side is dominant for you was which direction you first saw (with both eye straight ahead).

Listening is similar -- and a person being 'tested' does not have that luxury and the mear fact that he/she is under a test - can lock them into one view/side thinking. casually listening is different. it can use both sides thru out the experience. It often goes to the side we dont use as much in our work and that is relaxing to us especially when we are not deliberatly trying to hear anything in particular.

My mother is now totally deaf. My sister is near deaf now -- a heriditary gene passed by the father to the females. But they were born with good hearing. This weekend I had an artist friend of Lisa's from long island stay here.... he was born deaf but learned to speak and is very understandable and he just had a coclia implant and hears for the first time. he has to learn how to hear. When he activates his electronic coclia, at first he is disoriented with all the sounds because he hasnt heard them before and had to start the process of adaption and descrimination... his brain is learning as a new born does. but with the mental capacity of an adult it is very reveiling of how we learn to hear the sounds that enter our ears.

It is Very interesting to learn from these people how we listen and adapt. Even filling in tones and sound discrimination et al. Their perceptions are revieling. A lot of left-right has to go on to understand the audible world for these people.

All is why i have had more than a passing interest and knowledge in listening, hearing, music and sound. It Ain't all about fft, thd, DBtesting... it is a lot more complex and subtle.

Thx,
RNM

Last edited:
TEK 109 one of my first toys, 109 pulsgenerator GR connectors and all.

That's the baby...back in '81, I made a TRR setup using that puppy, a 1/4 inch thick copper plate, a bunch of 10 ohm BeO microwave resistors configured low L as current view..JEDEC spec on steroids. I could cleanly see 1N4148's recover in under 2 nanoseconds with no ripple or overshoot. It was built to support the diffusion engineers working on 5 nanosecond diodes, fixture was 20 times faster than requirement.

BTW the fastest I've seen reported was 1000v and 20A at 109ps, right up your alley.
Fast indeed. Bet the close neighbors complained about tv reception... (close defined as a 200 mile radius):eek:

jn

one place I worked you could see a Raytheon plant's radar dishes pointing at us, the target tower shacks were ~ 50 yards from our 2nd story wood frame building's electronic lab

some days it wasn't worth trying to debug anything - one afternoon a sub MHz low power CMOS op amp integrator was spontaneously resetting every minute - turning up the 300 MHz 'scope sweep to max the "reset" trace was still vertical

Last edited:
diyAudio Member RIP
Joined 2005
one place I worked you could see a Raytheon plant's radar dishes pointing at us, the target tower shacks were ~ 50 yards from our 2nd story wood frame building's electronic lab

some days it wasn't worth trying to debug anything - one afternoon a sub MHz low power CMOS op amp integrator was spontaneously resetting every minute - turning up the 300 MHz 'scope sweep to max the "reset" trace was still vertical

I presume you don't worry too much about cellphones? :D

diyAudio Member RIP
Joined 2005
Could you warm your lunch by placing it by the window?

I used to joke that working at the various Mt. Wilson telescopes required a dosimeter, which was a vending machine cheese burrito. When the cheese melted you knew you'd had enough.

But the TVI, seriously, did produce a lot of spooky effects. In the old days the detector of nearly universal use was the photographic plate. As electronics began to be introduced it was a real challenge to get stable results, compared to almost any other observing site.

Status
Not open for further replies.