John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Or perhaps the distortion is low enough that it doesn't matter? And maybe Gedlee knows what they're doing?

I doubt it, the distortion of these amps was pretty high.

Well, Gedlee talked about the masking of distortion that Jan mentioned. Some sounds are more easily masked than others though. Masking only reduces the strength with which we respond to a sound. It doesn't make it inaudible.

Some sounds are very offensive to the ear even at low levels, cause we have a natural aversion to the sound. They are harder to mask.

Deigned excellent stuff. Taught many people. More will be taught reading his books. Is not it enough?

On what basis would you claim his designs are excellent stuff or not? Compared to what? What is the layout? How much channel separation in his prototypes? Anyone can teach, look at the other forums.

Would you post one of his schematics?

Cheers.

Last edited:
On what basis would you claim his designs are excellent stuff or not? Compared to what?

On basis of my own rich experience. Compared to lots of stuff that I saw in my life.

What is the layout? How much channel separation in his prototypes? Anyone can teach, look at the other forums.

He is quite different from anyone.

Would you post one of his schematics?

No.

That would suggest oscillation at 50 KHz to 100 KHz and pretty strong oscillation. Most of the amplifiers I have built have flat response to more like 500 KHz. With such a slow transit time I could never use feedback. Did you mean 10-20 nS?

Nope, and vast majority of amps are not close to 500khz bandwidth.

And 10-20us transit time is not an oscillation. It is the time it takes for the musical signal to "travel" from input to output. It has nothing to do with oscillations.

Cheers.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.