John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wrinkle, we need more than one protein. Some of them are essential, i.e. needs to be consumed because our body can't synthesize them.
However, the most full set of proteins can be found in hemp seeds, but still some of them are absent.
And we have to remember that not all proteins, fatty acids, vitamins are discovered and not all their properties completely understood. That's why I eat as wide variety of different healthy foods as possible.

just because you have read a few books does not mean you have the whole picture, I agree with what you say about variety of foods and that hemp seed is nutritious, but you have missed some of what goes on in protein usage, for example grains are typically rich in methionine and poor in lysine, for beans it is the other way around, so if you combine them the protein balance is typically much better. Eggs give cysteine, and the other 6+ essential or functionally essential will be found in an ordinary diet anyway.
I am not a vegetarian myself, but it is wrong to say they will be deficient in protein. There are actually some vegetarians competing in Mr Universe and other body building competitions, and they require pathalogical amounts of protein to keep large. Tat is the only point on which we seem to disagree.

Wrinkle

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
The hair thing is a sure sign or quackery, but hey, it's California, it's all good.

Kempson, I.M. and Lombi, E. "Hair analysis as a biomonitor for toxicology, disease and health status" Chemical Society Reviews, 2011 doi:10.1039/C1CS15021A

Thats a statement born out of ignorance as to the purpose --- it is one of several ways to determine whats in the body and what isnt. use them all and get a better picture. BTW - In defense of the Left side of the USA..... it requires an MD in California to request the test of the lab as it has little theraputic value. But if you are interested in preventative medicine or just maintaning good health... it is another dot to connect with other tests. Blood work is fine for the immediate - 24 hour - view.... the what is going on right now test. But hair is the long term view of what has been in the body over a longer time frame... esp. related to diet.
Do what you want with the results. No one has to do it and you dont even have to examine your blood under a high power microscope either nor do other bloods tests.

Quakery would be for someone saying these tests indicate some desease and/or a cure. it isnt and wasnt as I am fine - as far as I know. Its about learning about and knowing more completely your state of welfare and helps with diet selection.

Anyone interested - it only cost me a hundred bucks - can Google - Hair analysis and toxicology for better info. than the knee-jerk negative reactions so common here.

-RNMarsh

Last edited:
And I am older than Jerry Garcia would be, if he were alive.
I was not the oldest contributer to the GD, Bear was older. Phil might be older, I don't know for sure, but when I worked with them, we were all pretty young. In our late 20's and early 30's, when we made the 'Wall of Sound'.
I learned a lot working with this band. First, I learned to 'loosen up'. Then to appreciate a really good performance that came, once in a while, and finally, what it took to make 'successful' audio electronics.
It didn't come immediately, and it took a few false starts, before things started to work well. This is one of the fundamental reasons for contributing here: To pass on what I have found 'works'. I hope to continue.

diyAudio Member RIP
Joined 2005
Maybe, maybe not. My wife's first husband worked at the original Kurzweil (she got to pick Stevie Wonder up at Logan once), but when he sold out to Xerox he got all the money (no employee equity).

I was only speaking of his health obsessions, the singularity stuff is very silly.

Well I guess the fixations on his own health play into the singularity/download stuff, that he might keep his precious bod alive long enough to get the mind loaded into hardware.

I have been SINGULARly unimpressed with his books :D

Another guy who made musical instruments and sold to do something else is Tom Beckmen. When I tasted his Atelier (a meritage with Cabernet Franc) a few years ago and scooped up all that I could manage at 10 bucks a pop at TJs, I wrote the winery fan email and got a prompt response and an invite to visit them. At one point in the brief correspondence I mentioned that I was going to complain that the sampled piano on my Roland RD-500 was out of tune, then realized that it came out after he had sold the company. His response: "See what happens when you don't mind the store?" :rolleyes:

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
So, Dick, I take it that you didn't bother to read the Kempson and Lombi paper?

In that paper- amoungst other info is the reinforcement of its use in Epidemiology.

I didnt use it that way --- The lab report showed me what the average of a zillion people tested measured -- it gave me the range of what 'normal' is and where I stood on that range. And, it gave what the government/scientist thought was a safe or good number/value.

My thinking is - If I fell well below or above that range, I infured it to be a potential issue for me to look into further and decide what to do, if anything.
[I never talked to a doctor about the results... just used him to order the test.] No quakery was involved as you alluded to.

Maybe you see the pattern: This is not unlike my approach to audio evaluation which can lead to focusing on a partiicular item.

Thx-RNM

Last edited:
And, it gave what the government/scientist thought was a safe or good number/value.

The government gives ranges for hair analysis? This is news.

From the NIH website (originally in JAMA):

Hair samples from two healthy teenagers were sent under assumed names to 13 commercial laboratories performing multimineral hair analysis. The reported levels of most minerals varied considerably between identical samples sent to the same laboratory and from laboratory to laboratory. The laboratories also disagreed about what was "normal" or "usual" for many of the minerals. Most reports contained computerized interpretations that were voluminous, bizarre, and potentially frightening to patients. Six laboratories recommended food supplements, but the types and amounts varied widely from report to report and from laboratory to laboratory. Literature from most of the laboratories suggested that their reports were useful in managing a wide variety of diseases and supposed nutrient imbalances. However, commercial use of hair analysis in this manner is unscientific, economically wasteful, and probably illegal.

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
The government gives ranges for hair analysis? This is news.

From the NIH website (originally in JAMA):

Now you are doing it too !! ... the fall back position -- pretending to be stupid and cute! It aint cute. It is stupid to give that as feedback.

I know you know what i was saying --- normal ranges and established safe levels of the elements measured and shown in the report by whom ever.

Do you have some insights to add or knowledge that would be in addition or useful to the readers? What is it?

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
I think you need to collect hair from Georgian long-livers, but how to tell if hair of 150 year's old Georgian gentlemen is right as a reference for 60 year's old American senior?

Like in audio, dynamic matters. So saliva test performed during the day could be better indicator of body balance.

Thats actually a good idea to see what shows up... something useful could be added to the pool of knowledge. never know until you do it.

Well a big source of error in the hair analysis is exposure to dust that adds traces of whatever is local to you, and then how frequently you wash your hair and what sort of shampoo you use, for instance one of those antidandruff shampoos would have your zinc levels off the scale. And if you have been using any of this and spilt some on your hair you might have lead levels a bit elevated... www.jetlubecanada.com/tds/Get_the_Lead_Out.pdf Considering how slowly hair grows and how variably old the sample will be I am with SY on hair analysis as a useful tool only for emtying wallets.

Wrinkle

Scott,

We are almost talking about the same thing. If you have a recording of music, in the process you are band limiting it and the result may be considered periodic.

SY,

If you wish to analyze the recording you certainly can loop it to make it periodic, that is a good method handle the sampling rate or data reduction issues.

But my issue was that when you have a C to R circuit the output voltage is I x R. The actual i comes through the capacitor and as you know the definition of capacitance is C x V = Q.

The derivative is C x dV/dt + V x dC/dt = dQ/dt = i. (For this example we will allow dc/dt to be unimportant or 0.) So if V = sin(x) then the output Vo follows the cos(x). For sinusoidal waves this results in a phase shift. This does not result in harmonic distortion, but does change the wave shape. It may increase or decrease the peak voltages. This form of phase shift distortion has been claimed to be perceptible at 5 degrees/20 khz by both M. Schroeder and R Neve. I did way back post some easier examples. But it is clear that lots of phase shift can be heard.

The other issue is that when the CR circuit is presented with a nonsinusoidal waveform that the output may be a waveform that has additional frequency components. That is harmonic distortion. The issue is what is a non-periodic waveform (as Fourier provides that all periodic waveforms are composed of multiple sine waves) will do when presented with a C to R circuit. So this is not an issue of Fourier analysis but one of sampling theory.

So I maintain that music is not periodic and therefore when converting music into an electrical analogy we must be cognizant of the limitations. The first of which of course is the microphone.

ES

Status
Not open for further replies.