John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Wavebourne,

On the vegetartian dietary deficiency proble. the answer is that you were confusing vegan with vegetarian.
Vegetarians can get all the nutrients they need with a little more care in what they eat than meat eaters.
BUT vegans who eat no milk or egg products as well will usually suffer from a B12 deficiency a few years after they become a vegan. There are a very limited selection of vegetable foods that provide enough B12, it is not a protein issue, look at the % protein in Millet and Quinoa if you dont believe me.

Wrinkle

I'm glad it was pointed out that the real controversy about global warming is whether or not it is influenced by humans. That the Earth goes through climatic cycles shouldn't be news to anyone. I'll leave it at that.
Essential proteins can be obtained from a strict vegetarian diet. It's the beans & rice and succotash thing. Or soy. Yes, B12 is another story. As for the egg, the yolk is food for the growing embryo. The albumen also, to a lesser extent, as it also functions to protect the yolk.
I had mentioned previously in another thread that there were 8 dietary proteins, and that is supported by this web page statement, "That leaves 8 essential amino acids (9 for children), which must come from the foods we eat," so I'm sticking with 8. (I don't think arginine belongs on the essential list).

Now we do disagree on the waveform that music presents. I did have a group here laughing when I mentioned to them there are folks arguing that music can be considered periodic and modeled by Fourier series.

I forgot the example that we discussed before. Take an entire piece of music as one massive data set, BW limited and sampled, the FFT and time domain representations are both equivalent. Nothing needs to be supposed about the music. These days it's easy to try it on several minutes of music at once with free software and most computers. Try it some time, take an important note and remove it in the Fourier domain and inverse transform it back and listen.

Just as, ummm, food for thought, have a look at the list of oldest verified humans. "Verified" probably has importance here, but 5 of the top 10 are Americans. About 2nd placeholder Sarah Knauss, it says, "Her passions were said to be watching golf on television; doing needlepoint; and nibbling on milk chocolate turtles, cashews, and potato chips." Notice it isn't bean sprouts and rice cakes. Her daughter lived to be 101. Heredity plays a major role, IMO, moreso than diet in general and worrying and stressing about medical headlines. How much saccharin does it take to kill a lab rat? Coffee is good; no,coffee is bad. Alcohol is bad; no, alcohol is good. Sheesh.
Didja ever wonder... with all the Red Bull, Monster, Rock Star, et al energy drinks being sold, the whole freaking planet should be spic and span.:)
Now back to our progam.

scott wurcer said:
Take an entire piece of music as one massive data set, BW limited and sampled, the FFT and time domain representations are both equivalent.
Yes. If any problems occur it will be in the BW limiting and/or sampling. The FFT will, in the real world, have floating-point rounding errors but these can be made arbitrarily small if you have a big enough or fast enough computer. FFT, in the ideal case, can be regarded as a lossless coding method.

However, I think the topic arose as a matter of principle, so BW limiting and sampling are not the issue.

Well stated, Sofaspud. Almost 50 years ago, a friend's father, a pathologist, told me that more than 2 cups of coffee per day could be bad. Where is that 'opinion' in relation to what we think we know now?
Guidelines change, fads come and go, just like in audio.
Once, long ago, horns were the ultimate. Just ignore the path length differences, for example. Anybody using horn loaded speakers today, especially an all horn set-up? I did for 10 years.
Anybody want to compute the Doppler distortion in Wavebourn's tweeter array? We used to, just to prove that horns were 'better'. Anybody know the formula, today?
Any extreme approach to just about anything, has limitations that are often seen by others, yet may be ignored by the 'believer'.
I found it fascinating to see the 'extreme' diet approaches in so many people here, yet many with the same force, criticize 'extreme' audio approaches. '-)

Listening to music from Vinyl is very good for my health, since i can accept the tons of distorsions much better than the tiny ones from cd and have listening pleasure every time for many hours, my wife and guests feel the same and a glass of good wine makes it even better.
A better preamp or power amp makes more fun, since it add lesser distorsions to the music and makes the original distorsions better audible and acceptable.( those one which Jimi Hendix's Marshall amps had for example).
Tall line source speakers have lesser Doppler distorsions than small boxy speaker created for the WAF only. :)

They go from about 3 KHz (one capacitor), resonant frequency is 666 Hz. Speakers for notebooks, claimed to be full-range.

I took this picture in a closet. One speaker was hanging on wires in front of Panasonic mic capsule, hanging on wires as well.

new_tweeters_fr.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.