John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
8. Tape noise. Yes, noise ;)

Did I miss anything?

Oh yes, I did! Noise reduction systems!

Wanna count how many tantalum capacitors are in direct signal path on Dolby Cat.22 cards (Dolby A)?

Voice from the back: " Dolby A is cr*p, we've switched to Dolby SR long time ago".

OK, so be it. I once counted ICs on Cat.280 Dolby SR card. Most were duals - 5532's and TL072's. Amplifiers in total = 72 ! Yes, seventy two. Some of them are in detector's chains, but not seventy.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Did I miss anything?
Yep, that despite your scary laundry list of tape faults (all true!) it still sounds damn good when done right. How can that be?

That said, I've heard 24/96 recordings made by SY with Scott's mics and preamps that are just as lovely and "warm" sounding as any tape, without all the tape problems. So it can't be that hard to do digital right.

first: Ampex, second Supermaster (Mobile Fidelity custom electronics)

Attachments

• 30ips Ampex.jpg
    30ips Ampex.jpg
    256.3 KB · Views: 270
  • 30 ips supermaster.jpg
    30 ips supermaster.jpg
    228 KB · Views: 265
diyAudio Member RIP
Joined 2005
simulation

Sorry George it's known as full court press time, you sent your designs to fab and surprise, surprise they work. It's 24/7 work right now, not audio but good stuff. I think others have capture the gist, there is a transition from lumped to continuous models that requires judgement based on several factors. Importantly the skin effect is fractional f in nature and does not plug into a normal simulation environment.

Just noticed this: Electromagnetic modeling of three dimensional integrated circuits

Brad

Status
Not open for further replies.