John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
diyAudio Member RIP
Joined 2005
HR departments usually do initial filtering of CVs, so they can sometimes remove all good candidates from the list before the hiring manager gets to see them. He just sees those with 'impressive' CVs i.e. those which mention the right HR buzzwords, in some cases because they have paid someone to write it for them.

The classic story was the guy who spelled out DSP throughout the resume. He never got an interview, and finally called to find out why. He believed himself to be a very good fit for the job description.

He spoke to a person who had done the initial filtering. He said didn't you see all of the background I have in digital signal processing?

Allegedly the HR person said Yes, but we were looking for someone specifically with DSP experience. :whacko:

The classic story was the guy who spelled out DSP throughout the resume. He never got an interview, and finally called to find out why. He believed himself to be a very good fit for the job description.

He spoke to a person who had done the initial filtering. He said didn't you see all of the background I have in digital signal processing?

Allegedly the HR person said Yes, but we were looking for someone specifically with DSP experience. :whacko:

Engineers should be aware of basic (social) signal theory.....;)

I hope to clarify the situation: I get paid, mostly in royalties, these days. For the amount of time and effort that I actually put forth, I do reasonably well. However, I AM RETIRED, collect Social Security, and have little prospect to get rich in future. A $30,000 investment, that I don't really have a need for, is pointless, especially when there would be a significant learning time to get the equipment running well in my lab, and I don't like the graphs NORMALLY presented.

I hope to clarify the situation: I get paid, mostly in royalties, these days. For the amount of time and effort that I actually put forth, I do reasonably well. However, I AM RETIRED, collect Social Security, and have little prospect to get rich in future. A $30,000 investment, that I don't really have a need for, is pointless, especially when there would be a significant learning time to get the equipment running well in my lab, and I don't like the graphs NORMALLY presented.

Well, that bit of clarity changes things doesn't it.

Hiring managers? Ha,ha,ha.

In skilled trades, technical or positions requiring advanced degrees most resumes are reviewed by department heads and panel/multiple person interviews are given.

An awful lot of candidates, unless you're talking about hiring someone entry level or after an internship, have their reputations precede them, depending on the industry/trade.

I think the problem most are refering to is caused by the person making the final decisions, not the initital decisions.

Last edited:
the HR person said

A brother in law of mine calls himself a Human Resource CEO, is into investments and takeovers now, with guidance from the top(him) and a 3-5 year cash-in period.
Lately he got interested in a microbiology company that's developing something with a medical purpose, and requires a fresh capital input.

As he has zero savey of medical stuff, BiL asked to write down a lists of questions to pose during his meet with the microbiology CEO.
The PhD CEO, ex-university researcher, answered half the questions.
Save the essential half, that determine whether the payout will happen this century, and before yet another "vital" cash injection.

BiL got the answers, also explained to him that it meant it was a salvage operation to continue pay of CEO salaries and company car.
Two weeks later BiL said he was still in negotiations, he heard that a large bank was doing a indepth study of the microbug company, wanted to wait for the report.
Probably contains HR idiomata. :clown:

The spread in the ratio of ability to compensation in all professions, and the technical ones especially, is really shocking. However one makes few friends by drawing attention to this. Human resources people do not like to acknowledge the number of seat-warmers they've hired that looked good on paper and interviewed well.

I have spent the evening working on documents concerning our suing a lawyer in negligence. UK fees for such work are based on approx US$ 450 for every hour they spend on the case, and they really do drive up the hours. That is one field where the professional is obscenely rewarded, despite the fact that we have had to insist on seeing drafts of every letter issued due to error on their part, despite the fact that they in this case have - after some 3 years - only now got the feel of the basics in what is a relatively simple case.:mad:

Last edited:
I have spent the evening working on documents concerning our suing a lawyer in negligence. UK fees for such work are based on approx US$ 450 for every hour they spend on the case, and they really do drive up the hours. That is one field where the professional is obscenely rewarded, despite the fact that we have had to insist on seeing drafts of every letter issued due to error on their part, despite the fact that they in this case have - after some 3 years - only now got the feel of the basics in what is a relatively simple case.:mad:
I have run into a few attorneys who will work for no less than $1K USD per hour, so you are getting off cheap.

HR departments usually do initial filtering of CVs, so they can sometimes remove all good candidates from the list before the hiring manager gets to see them. He just sees those with 'impressive' CVs i.e. those which mention the right HR buzzwords, in some cases because they have paid someone to write it for them.

It is obsolete information. HR departments now in USA are protected from lawyers by a layer of recruiters who perform initial filtering. They use standard questionnaires in order to protect themselves. They are not afraid of selecting wrong candidate. They are afraid of being sued by other candidates who can show all formal rights to be selected and offer a proof in a court that selected candidate was worse. Since lawyers, recruiters, and judges don't know all details of job requirements, they need some "objective measurements", like THD, DF, IMD, and what else is "Standard".

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Last edited:
Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk 2

*sigh*

Sent from my TI-99/4A

that is kinda funny .

```````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

13.jpg

sent by my abacus/telegraph (and piano) hybrid

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.