John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now what is different about the products that I am known for, and typical midfi audio products?
Topology? Perhaps a little, as IC's can't really do complementary jfets very well.
Also, many manufacturers may have 'taboos' against making any product with 'single source' devices, or relatively expensive ones. This limits the available topologies to a certain group, excluding others.
Parts quality? Yes, here, many parts have more distortion than others, even if it might appear to be at a low level in static measurements. Yes, much of 'what counts' can be below 100dB below the peak of the audio signal. Why this is so, I do not know, but that doesn't mean that I don't hear it.
Basic 'physics'? This has become a much more important factor in separating the highest audio quality from mid-fi. Soldering, board material, layout, wires, shielding materials, initial cleaning of components before soldering, etc. etc. Trust me, this is where I spend most of my time with my best designs. I attempt to pass on most of what I find that works to my more 'affordable' designs and I can get a bit done, even though the manufacturers are located overseas, and not under my direct supervision, but probably not to the point of making a design 'classic' like the Vendetta or the CTC Blowtorch.

Last edited:
diyAudio Member RIP
Joined 2005
Those would be two I'd agree with (among many), but Sean Olive has taken over where Toole left off.

Floyd is still quite active, writing and lecturing and contributing to standards committees, although his relationship to Harman is now just as a consultant. He's being hectored by his publisher to come up with a second edition of Sound Reproduction as well.

The three of us, with a little help from Sean's mother and as well a bottle of Ramey Chardonnay, drank a magnum of 2005 Dierberg Pinot Noir on Easter Sunday :cool: Floyd tends to err on the side of caution about drinking older wines, and was actually concerned that the Dierberg would be over the hill. I've assured him that, despite some of his negative experiences, there are definitely some wines that survive and improve, given proper storage.

Brad

Now what is different about the products that I am known for, and typical midfi audio products?

Small quantities.
Limited application.
Unobtainium parts.
High degree of selection of parts.
High development costs.
High manufacturing costs.

All these are a "no no" for midfi manufacturers. They stick to "proven" designs that do not require any selection, use parts that are easily available and spend their funds on attractive packaging instead.

Best,

P.S. Older parts are probably non Rohs as well and that is also a sure way to get into trouble.

Last edited:
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Surely those stringed tablet instruments have a deep oriental ancient streak of mutation. Before they hit Byzantium as church psalm melodic aids they have gone through ancient Greeks, similarly depicted. Kanoon, or Santuri when played with sticks and bit different. Music always shows to the humanity's wholeness.

Electroj, of course, you are on the right track, but there is more to it. It is attempting to encompass what is NECESSARY to make good sounding audio equipment. We are constantly being told that 'everything sounds essentially the same', CD is good enough, etc, etc, even by the AES, yet most audio reproduction is not necessarily very satisfactory for a certain percentage of people who want it better than it normally is.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.