John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Could someone do a 'back-of-envelope' calculation of the thermal time constant for a 1/4W resistor? I suspect it will show that thermal effects are too slow to generate harmonic or normal IM distortion from constant tones, but might (just) give rise to music envelope type effects? I note that John mentioned thermal capacity. The instantaneous element temperature of a small resistor could vary much more quickly than the surface temp, and of course it is the element temp which affects the tempco.

John,

I originally chose Holco (old, non-magnetic) types as a rational improvement for the RIAA of the Vendetta Research Phono Stage, over the existing Resista parts I was using. They also had the advantage of being 0.5% accurate and that made my RIAA tracking more consistent. What I really like about these parts is their relatively thick leads that gives us more thermal capacitance over most similar resistors.

They are really too expensive for commercial production, but I LOVE the Rohpoint Noninductive Wirewound copper alloy resistors. A tempco of Feck All, 0.01% tolerance as standard and they sound generally like a piece of wire, decent wire. Next to some audiophile stuff at only 5-10 quid or so per piece they are divine.

Early on, with Parasound,(more than 20 years ago) I recommended, in writing, to use Holco for the primary feedback resistor in every power amp I was associated with. I could not predict the quality of the rest of the resistors, as they would be sourced in Asia.

Yes, resistor quality is a b.i.t.c.h. At AMR we now use some "magic" ;-) SMD parts, they even measure much better than generica, never mind sound.

This to me, is the ESSENCE of what I have tried to convey on this thread for many years. I can sometimes only give RESULTS, and technical speculation, not HARD EVIDENCE. Tough nuts! '-)

Yes, I know this.

At AMR we now use some "magic" SMD resistors. They make a quite dramatic improvement subjectively and pass DBT vs. generica. The only time I could ever measure the difference was excess noise when used in the tail of a folded cascode used as MC pre-pre and even then it was only one in 5 resistors that showed excess noise.

Ciao T

John already said you can't measure the difference. Vishay's 1/2W leaded resistors are speced at -130db thirds (no conditions stated).

Maybe just rotating the Vishay's would help, who knows?

Maybe John couldn't measure the difference at that time. (And maybe even T today! Cross posted!)

It gets a bit more interesting these days.

Even a geek with a computer and an A/D can measure a lot of things that used to be at the very least difficult.

Last edited:
Could someone do a 'back-of-envelope' calculation of the thermal time constant for a 1/4W resistor? I suspect it will show that thermal effects are too slow to generate harmonic or normal IM distortion from constant tones, but might (just) give rise to music envelope type effects? I note that John mentioned thermal capacity. The instantaneous element temperature of a small resistor could vary much more quickly than the surface temp, and of course it is the element temp which affects the tempco.

i would be willing to place a large wager that you can measure the temperature coefficient's affect on distortion versus frequency even at levels as low as 1/4 rated power. :)! :)! :)! (How come there is no emoticon for sharks teeth?)

There is no RATIONAL reason why the 'vishay' resistor did what it did. However, it was a wake up call for me to keep to 'what works' rather than what measures OK. The Asian Vishay resistor was tiny, but had a fairly high power rating, maybe 1/3W, and a great TEMPCO. (Hey guys, I do this for a living) It was MORE EXPENSIVE than the Holco it replaced. And finally, I was not on the listening committee who evaluated the differences between the two resistors in Texas. It was my CTC business partner, Bob Crump who did the listening with his friends. Ask Bear about Bob, sometime. RIP Bob.

Now, what about thermal resistance between resistive layer and the core volume?

It would be interesting to flash naked resistor by IR LEDs and measure results.

You won't see much- it takes a LOT of IR to significantly heat those sort of high specific heat materials. I used to do photoacoustic spectroscopy, which relied on just that sort of effect, and it took quite sophisticated lock-in amps to see the signals.

SY said:
Roughly 3 seconds per gram of resistor weight (assumes alumina core).
Thanks. I have just weighed some resistors. Including leads, 0.25W metal film are about 0.2g, 3W metal film are 1g. Up to half of the weight could be the leads (wild guess?) so a ballpark figure is around 0.5 secs for 0.25W? Plenty of scope for music-envelope-level temperature variations. Possibly some scope for temperature-induced crossmodulation.

The heat is generated in the resistive element, and this is the temperature sensitive part too. So for carbon comp we have poor linearity but a big element to absorb heat, for carbon film we have a very small element but reasonably good tempco. This problem, if it exists, would not show up in harmonic distortion except possibly at very low frequencies or for small-difference-frequency IM.

Last edited:
Joined 2002
Paid Member
There is no RATIONAL reason why the 'vishay' resistor did what it did. However, it was a wake up call for me to keep to 'what works' rather than what measures OK. The Asian Vishay resistor was tiny, but had a fairly high power rating, maybe 1/3W, and a great TEMPCO. (Hey guys, I do this for a living) It was MORE EXPENSIVE than the Holco it replaced. And finally, I was not on the listening committee who evaluated the differences between the two resistors in Texas. It was my CTC business partner, Bob Crump who did the listening with his friends. Ask Bear about Bob, sometime. RIP Bob.

Part of me would like to say this can't be it is just a resistor. But experience has shown it to be the case over and over it all matters at this level. Good listeners you trust are important sounds like you lost one.

Status
Not open for further replies.