John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sorry my tin/lead ears have a hearing threshold...so I don't need a zero THD circuit.

Whatever you may need or not, unless there is zero THD there is nonlinearity, which enables modulating HF noise with the audio signal.

But why do audiophiles obviously prefer high THD circuits with consequently more modulation than less?

Who said they do?
If some of them do, sometimes, what is the relevance of it to the issue of HF noise modulating the audio signal?

Okay, I don't see what you mean. For the LED the DC voltage doubles, and the dynamic impedance also doubles, right? That would be bad in my circuit.

That's right, but it isn't necessarily bad. If you're using the LED as a reference, the voltage doubles, but the noise voltage adds as power, so the noise voltage increases by 3dB because the noise between the two devices is uncorrelated. So you gain a 3dB advantage in signal to noise ratio by stacking two of them. For example, a common red LED has a Vf of 1.6V or so. The noise voltage is roughly 2uV (20Hz-20kHz). So the s/n of a single device is 20 log (1.6/2x10e-06) = 118dB. Stack two of them and the noise voltage is sqrt([2x10e-6]^2 + [2x10e-6]^2) = 2.83uV, but the reference voltage is now 3.2V, for a signal to noise of 20 log (3.2/2.83x10e-06) = 121dB.

SY said:
If you're using the LED as a reference, the voltage doubles, but the noise voltage adds as power, so the noise voltage increases by 3dB because the noise between the two devices is uncorrelated. So you gain a 3dB advantage in signal to noise ratio by stacking two of them.

Okay, thanks SY. I didn't think of a current source as an amplifier where the DC voltage was the signal, but I get it now.

This is so when the noise of the reference is proportional to its' voltage.

There is no 'the reference' in SY's statement. He's saying to use many. Here's a thought experiment -

Say you need a 10V reference and you wanna use TL431s. I can see two ways to go. First use resistors in 3:1 ratio to multiply up the 2.5V reference to 10V, using a single TL431. Second, use 4 TL431s in series with no resistors. The DC voltage is the same but the noise will be 6dB better in the second case. In fact the DC voltage will be more accurate on average in the second case because of lack of resistor tolerance and the power of statistics.

Its possible to mitigate the noise in the first case by bypassing the upper resistor with a suitable cap to reduce the noise gain.

I'm sorry my tin/lead ears have a hearing threshold...so I don't need a zero THD circuit. But why do audiophiles obviously prefer high THD circuits with consequently more modulation than less?

Because HIGH THD is your personal number. "They" prefer LOW ENOUGH THD instead of sacrifice of other parameters they value in order to get EVEN LOWER THD ON 100 HZ ON ONSET OT CLIPPING.

LOUD ENOUGH FOR TIN/LEAD EARS? :D

OK, John, give a number. How much power supply noise is low enough to meet the numbers game for your market?

You should know him by now, that he never gives hard facts.
Doing so would in this case reveal the complete absence of any PSRR in his input stage.

After all, his business model is based on "Tales Of Mystery And Imagination"

regards, Gerhard

(with due respect for Alan Parsons)

Last edited:
What input stage are you referring to?

Really, just about any cascode stage. And that's OK, it's a difference in design philosophy- some like to make high PSR stages to simplify power supply requirements, others don't bother about PSR and design very low noise power supplies. It depends on where you prefer your complication. So I hope John will not feel embarrassed about coughing up a number.

I like to think in terms of nV/rt Hz. Of course, what is important depends on the operating level and the power supply rejection of the circuit.
YES, it is true that the resistor fed folded cascode circuit (my favorite) has minimal power supply rejection, so I have to build quiet power supply follower stages (after first using a 317/337 combination) of about 5nV/rt Hz or less. My latest design is perhaps 1nV/rt Hz, but it is VERY expensive and exotic. Not for amateurs.
A real 'breakthrough' is the new Bybee power supply filter. It will get you down to about 20nV/rt Hz, which is pretty good, certainly better than my HP power supplies.
By comparison, perhaps a LM317 might be 100nV/rt Hz or more, because it does not have a cap bypassed voltage reference. I can't be sure of this, because I can't find a noise rating that I can use directly from the data sheet.

what?...Modulation requires nonlinearity...Why not build a low THD design to avoid those issues?

We are talking about noise in the low RF range causing modulation of a stage inside of a complete amplifier. The only way to increase linearity is by device selection or gain degeneration (semi-intrinsic feedback.) Lower stage gain is the actual result and lower loop gain and thus an increase overall THD. So there may actually be a trade-off between lower THD and lower noise IM!

So reducing power supply noise is a better solution for some designs than increasing the stage's power supply noise rejection.

You should know him by now, that he never gives hard facts.
Doing so would in this case reveal the complete absence of any PSRR in his input stage.

After all, his business model is based on "Tales Of Mystery And Imagination"

regards, Gerhard

(with due respect for Alan Parsons)

A bit more respect for JC would be in order.
What a denigrating comment. So disrespectful of John and his achievements. I'm shocked about this tone and behaviour.
What does PSRR have to do with the marketplace or the cutomers John working? If he's circuits need low noise supplies, and he knows the hows and whys, so what? He is a really sincere character. Hope you have as much success with your creations as he has.

Status
Not open for further replies.