Jim Griffin Line Array White Paper

For everything line array related, a huge source of information lies in Wesayso’s Two Towers thread. Will need to use the search function, because it has grown over the years!

If one wants to keep the same Ohms across as a single driver, we do it going into series-parallel to 2/2, 3/3/3, 4/4/4/4, 5/5/5/5/5 when running full range. That goes out the window if you introduce circuits to do power shading over the line.

VituixCAD will be able to help there.

To have the line arrays perform as mirror images between floor and ceiling, it is recommended in the paper to do the line at least 75% of the height of the wall.

etc, etc… :)

Reactions: 1 user
Account Closed
Joined 2001
Davey, was the IDS-25 from that engineer that worked for McIntosh?

I do have plans when I do a trail run to do both Tapered and Non tapered and let my ear and sitting position determine which will work better. I do know I want the over all impedance to be around 8 ohms, but if lower it will be no problem as both my Latino VTA-120 and Edge M8 will handle it that load with no problems.
Yes indeed. Roger Russell.
That project had an extensive write-up in Audio Amateur/Speaker Builder many years ago.
Although these days, purchasing a s...load of small drivers like those used is a much more expensive proposition. :)

Dave.

Yes, Roger Russell. I couldn't remember his name but I remembered his IDS-25 speaker with EQ to get a 20hz-20Khz response. However I did get a chance to hear his TOTL McIntosh speaker the XR290 in person in a long listening session. I remember walking into my Buddy's Audio Store and seeing them in the big showroom he had, they were huge and I really liked how they looked. We took the Grills off and they looked just as nice with the grills off. They were spread out about 8-9 feet from each other and up against the wall. I remember asking my buddy to hook them up and see how they sound since he had just got them in. Well, after hooking them up and stepping back about 8, 10, 12, and 14 feet....I really didn't care for how they sound. They had a slightly rolled off top end and I remember telling my buddy they had a slight dead sound to them, maybe this was that inference many of the guys mention about Line Array can produce if not done right? Or it could have been cause they were up against the wall. We moved them out about 2-3 feet from the wall but the sound didn't get much better, maybe we were really off on the speaker setup. I just remembering telling him such a nice looking speaker with all those drivers and it didn't sound that good. What shocked me the most was there was a lack of bass. For all those 4 drivers and not strong or deep bass.

I'm sure his IDS was way better since I never heard a bad comment about them.

I've got 2 Audio Express articles from Mr. Russel, PM me if you want them. One of them is a Pré IDS array, the other is the real thing.
Some years back I spent some time at Roger's talking speakers and Mc recollections and such. I wound up buying Roger's XR-250s, and if I thought my wife wouldn't have killed me (and if I'd had room in the car) I'd have bought the line arrays from the first article. I had never heard anything like them before. With orchestral music you could close your eyes and just about picture every individual musician in the orchestra, and the imaging stayed just as precise standing or sitting. Someday if I can scare up the scratch, I'm gonna have to buy a metric buttload of fullrange drivers and try something like that.

Reactions: 1 user