JFET Basics

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2006
Paid Member

Attachments

• 2sk170 curves.png
    2sk170 curves.png
    16.9 KB · Views: 357
Joined 2006
Paid Member
Found this thread that corroborates these ideas. http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/solid-state/166099-accurate-measurement-jfet-gm.html

Used a 1M63 rsistor istead of 1M and got the following results for 2SK170BL:

Idss 6.47mA > Vp -0.59V
Idss 7.10mA > Vp -0.64V
Idss 8.00mA > Vp -0.65V

Not at all what I was expecting and not comparable to the pdf specs...

Looking at the 2sk pdf I see that for any Idss, Vp is always higher than -0.5V

Using the high Rs technique I found much lower values (Higher in modulus).

Does that mean the high Rs tech is not fiable... or does it depend on Vdd ? (I am using a 9v batt)

and change to a low gm device selected to have a high Idss and suddenly even your 7V for Vds compromises the jFET operation.

As an example look at the DCB1, there are jFET in there with operating Vds in the range 600mVds to 10Vds
One can and should select different jFETs with different gm and different Idss for the various locations.

Last edited:
Great thread. Enjoyed reading it. I have learned more about jfets now;). I have resurrected my pacific phono stage and it sounds great. With some more mods with latest knowledge should be even better.
PS I always had trouble with parasitic oscillations with this cct due to high gain. But gate stopper resistors saved the day. I am a bit surprised I don't read more of others having this hassle :confused: but anyway.:)

cheers,
Pauly.

basically sounds like mass distortion.
there is so much gain and open bandwidth that high frequencies begin to feed back positively creating an oscillator. some of the stuff and mixed products are in the audio band. it's awful. Also depending on what wires sit where and what else is to chance it may go , be minimal, or be chronic. very frustrating when a lovely sounding pre amp is in there somewhere.

p.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.