jeemus! FE126E-P10 puts hair on chest!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Clark,

Again to pile on to what others are saying, excellent write-up and am waiting to see if you get to listen extensively to these drivers again. With your taste in music being similar to mine I would like to hear what you have to say about the speakers after throwing in a wide variety of music.

On the outside listening, I am really looking forward to trying that solely to see the look on my German neighbors faces when the "crazy" American drags a stereo outside just to try an experiment! You may not do it all the time, but definitely a cool idea.

Thanks again and for all the Americans on the forum and those living abroad, Happy Thanksgiving!

FE126E

Clark,

Good to hear your enthusiasm about EnABL. I treated my 126s after BudP treated a pair of FR4.5Cs for me...hung some EPs off the binding post...fastened seat belt and haven't looked back since...I vacillate between sheer amazement and staring off in space with a s***eating grin with toe tapping...

Richard

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Re: yup.

blumenco said:
dave will be just flat making these things

:)

Attachments

• fe126en-batch.jpg
    fe126en-batch.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 644
Interested in suggestions from any Audio Circle members that has built one of Dave's designs using the FE127eN drivers.
I'm looking to build a small floorstander and this new driver looks very appealing. The design I've picked is the Fonken-tuned floorstander Mark II.

http://homepage.mac.com/tlinespeakers/FAL/box-plans/fonken-tune-FE127-FS-Mk2.pdf

Has anyone built these? Is there something else anyone has to suggest.

John

EnABLed Super Swans?

clark
What have you been listening to the 126eNs in?
Super Swans?
I want to learn the EnABL process, but am afraid of messing up any good drivers.
I have a pair of 108esIIs in Super Swans I’ve been listening to for a couple of years.
(BTY, Just completed an Eddie Vaughn designed PP EL84 amp and the synergy between them is amazing).
A pair of 126s would be better to practice on than risking the 108esIIs…
And if they work well in the Super Swans cabs it would simplify everything.
Robert :)

EnABLed 166

chrisb said:
Clark - now that you've had your first taste test, you need to try the Planet10 FE166eN in an "adult-strength" BLH or similar enclosure. I think even TC would be tappin his toze.

That's what I really want.
To EnABL the FE166ES-Rs in the pair of ron's Austins that are my main speakers.
Has the pattern for 166s been developed yet; is it available for us mortals?
Robert :)

Robert,

Just to wet your whistle. Go here to see how and where EnABL patterns would be applied. The cone for the 206 is the same design as found on the 166 and the patterns will be identical.

http://picasaweb.google.com/hpurvine/Fostex206ERev/photo#5138741727456026706

You could adapt the Lowther PM6A pattern guides to this cone, just by % of size change in the acrobat printer controls.

Also, you might trek over to the Hawthorne site. In their forum on speakers I have posted to of three primers on EnABL materials and techniques. I will migrate them to the EnABL thread here at DIY when they are complete.

Mostly, you want to practice a bit, on some really cheap cones. You will be delighted with the results.

Bud

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Re: EnABLed 166

serenechaos said:
To EnABL the FE166ES-Rs in the pair of ron's Austins that are my main speakers.
Has the pattern for 166s been developed yet; is it available for us mortals?

I've done 2 pair of FE167e (so yes, i have patterns), and have a set of FE166e on my bench (for Ron C). My next order i'm going to get another set of FE167 and a set of FE166 (for Clark if someone else doesn't scoop them up 1st). I've yet to talk to Bob )a local) about doing his FE166eSR. I'm doing a set of FF156K for Frank to try (after which i wouldn't be surprised if i get a shot at his FE206eSR) ... it just takes time.

dave

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
loninappleton said:
We have see in pictures what the enable looks like. Is there now or will there be a tutorial for this?

If i ever get enuff free time from doing drivers i will be putting one together... i have a fair amount of raw material collected from Bud's & my posts... need to add some pictures and put them all together in a coherent web page.

In the meantime, the 2 long posts by Bud on page 8 of the Hawthorne EnABL thread cover off materials & tools (and everything you do need is buried in this thread)

dave

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Yake any of the disk patterns and scale it until it just fits the part you are going to EnABL, Then shrink it to 85-87% of that to give enuff room to actually put the pattern.

I used A4 tip (with fat strokes*) for the main rings, #56 (or rapido) for the inner dots, A5 for the whizzer edge and under the whizzer (the hardest part). I do under the whizzer last & use the patterns already on the cone as guides.

* be nice if you could get 1/2 sizes

dave

Scottmoose said:
It's not a design exactly -it's the Fostex FE126E 4 1/2in Full Range driver as modified by Dave, and more correctly called the Planet10 FE126eN

How is it acceptable or legal to slightly modify someone else's product and rename it to call it your own? P10 is selling Fostex products and I hope they are doing this with Fostex consent and royalty agreement.

That being said,
I have yet to demo an enabled driver and if they perform as stated I will be on cloud nine as I haven't listened to a paper driver that didn't hurt my ears.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.