jbl2226h subwoofer

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
hi ive ordered a jbl2226h woofer..

i dont need 20hz..only 30hz:) :)

i have a choice

37hz 130litres

or

25hz 175litres.

Fs=40hz
Qts=0.31
Vas=175litres
Xmax=7.6mm
Xmech=20mm
(both oneway)
Eff=97db
600watt rms

i know its a good driver,and the guy at www.speakerbuilding.com *almighty subwoofer* as done a similar thing with success:)

i know it wont go that low efficiently,but what sub is efficient + low bass ??:mafioso:

( i have winisd proper version at home)il use several programs to check port length :)
what do you think.

:nod:

Attachments

• response.jpg
    response.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 697
I've been scaling boxes around these drivers for sometime.

Tune the box anywhere from 40 - 43Hz. Anything lower,
and kiss your efficency goodbye. Not to mention, this is
a woofer, and, not at subwoofer, so, these speakers
are useless under 40Hz.

If you run a sinewave generator through it, it should
unload below 25Hz.

OMNIFEX said:
I've been scaling boxes around these drivers for sometime.

Tune the box anywhere from 40 - 43Hz. Anything lower,
and kiss your efficency goodbye. Not to mention, this is
a woofer, and, not at subwoofer, so, these speakers
are useless under 40Hz.

If you run a sinewave generator through it, it should
unload below 25Hz.

This driver is actually a subwoofer. It doesn't go as low as the 2241 or the 2245, but it is still used as a subwoofer by JBL. They use two of them in their SR4715X sub box. Frequency response is stated as 40Hz to 1.1kHz (-10dB). It's a great sounding box, but doesn't go quite as low as the SR4719X box.

The dimensions of the JBL SR4715X are:

1092mm X 635mm X 460mm

keep in mind that these are outside dimensions, but that should get you close.

Cheers,
Zach

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
OMNIFEX said:
They may call it a Subwoofer, but, a -10dB @ 40Hz is not
a subwoofer.

Those Marketers are at it again! :rolleyes:

I think it's all down to definitions, in PA use subs usually run from about 80Hz down to about 30hz or so, if you're lucky. The power demands of running lower in a space with no room gain at low frequencies is just not economically viable, or indeed required.

Whereas in Hi-Fi, we have room gain, no budget restrictions relatively speaking, and a much more critical listening enviroment, so our subs run much lower.

when is it a (sub)woofer

i made a choice

-high efficiency
-20hz not needed.

sub being subsonic? being 29hz and lower? lol a sub can be any thing.i thought a subwoofer deals with frequencies 100hz or so hz and below

and i dont want a single 12inch at high excursion(high distortion) trying to make 20hz either.(with 400watt rms)

:nod:

the 2245 is about 2000$ or something :p

Attachments

• notbad.jpg
    notbad.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 455
pinkmouse said:

I think it's all down to definitions, in PA use subs usually run from about 80Hz down to about 30hz or so, if you're lucky. The power demands of running lower in a space with no room gain at low frequencies is just not economically viable, or indeed required.

Whereas in Hi-Fi, we have room gain, no budget restrictions relatively speaking, and a much more critical listening enviroment, so our subs run much lower.

You've got a really good point pinkmouse. In PA aplications, getting down to 20 Hz is not only impractical, but it usually isn't even necessary. The subs are there to add punch to the kick drum, and depth to the bass instruments.

For myself, I would not choose a 2226 for a subwoffer. If I was going with JBL, I would go with a 2245. Also, if you've got the time to look around, the 2235 and 126A are wonderful drivers. They don't handle as much power, but they sure sound good.

Cheers,
Zach

mikee12345,

The word sub has been taken over by Marketing also.

Surely, you don't mean any speaker that can produce
under 100 Hertz is a sub.

Ever listened to a bass Horn? With the exception to
the LAB Sub, Servodrive Basstech 7, and Bass Maxx,
A bass horn will produce anywhere from 200 - 60Hz
before taking a nose dive.

Ever listened to Drum N Bass, where the music has a
strong emphisis on 40 - 20Hz (6 - 9db Increase)

I guess I came from the old school where anything
that cannot produce 40Hz without heavy Eqing is
not a sub.

Oh, and your better of measuring that 2245 at 1 watt.
Its more of a true estimate. To much things to take in
account when your going into 110 dB's.

usekgb said:

In PA aplications, getting down to 20 Hz is not only impractical, but it usually isn't even necessary.

Agreed. :nod: For Live Bands its not necessary.

The subs are there to add punch to the kick drum, and depth to the bass instruments.

Thats true for Live Band applications. However, for Bass
Oriented Synthesized Pre Recorded Music, Punch is not enough. You need Sub Frequencies.

For myself, I would not choose a 2226 for a subwoffer.

Exactly! Its not designed for sub low frequencies. Thats
why I said its not a subwoofer. Its not a matter of the
the 2226 being, a 15, and the 2245 being an 18. Its the
performance of the driver. And the 2226 was not designed
to perform as a Subwoofer.

Best Regards,

As I usually work with live bands, sometimes I forget about electronic music. I do work with bands that combine live instruments with electronic instrumnts, and the sub I usually work with is the JBL SR4719X loaded with two JBL 2241HPL drivers. This driver still doesn't go as low as others, but it is still a 1200W 4Ohm box tht can really take some punishment.

If I really HAD to get down to 20 Hz with +_ 1dB, I would go with a REALLY big horn or T/L enclosure. Unfortunately, this is very impractical in real world applications. Some people are able to do this, but the rest of us have to either cheat (vented boxes) or settle for a -3dB point higher than 20 Hz.

Anyway, when it comes down to it, you just have to do what will fit within your budget and space requirements. If something better than the 2226 is out of your budget, than go for the 2226. If you can hold out and save some more money, go for something bigger. Sometimes you just have to go with what you have on hand, and make plans for something bigger in the future. You don't have to get down to 20Hz on your first try. If you decide to upgrade in the future, you may be able to sell your sub to a mobile DJ who doesn't need the bottom octave.

Cheers,
Zach

?can ppl speak english

EXCUSE ME

can anyone hear the words that are coming outa my mouth!

MY ONLY CHOICES ARE:

1.shiva
2.peerless
3.jbl 2226h

NOTHING ELSE!! NO JBL2245 NO NOTHING! !!!!!!!

i live in New Zealand where subs cost double what they do in US
with shipping.

I chosehigh efficiency .

Amps here are very expensive.

AND

a jbl2226h DOES THE SAME SPL AS A SHIVA when tuned to 25hz
so there.

:mafioso: :mafioso: :mafioso: :mafioso: :mafioso:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.