JBL Summit 300L - Mod them or sell them?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
sound versus $

i think e bay and other sites have put much vintage gear way out of reach for the >first timer< i see what some sellers are asking for this gear. in my humble opinion i see a lot of greed. it is about the colour and warmth of the vintage equipment not the bucks, but as we all are aware of ,...greed is a big part of many men . cheers f

Old JBL's ROCK... period. Yes, the bass is dumpy and loose... as it is in REAL music. There is a reason that musicians and studio people love them (rememeber musicians?... they're the ones who make the sounds that we all argue about).

The fact that old JBL's can still command such a price, is testimony to 2 things; first, how well built they were in the first place, and second, just how little of substance has happened in speaker design over the last thirty years.

Repair them in any course of action. If they are physically incorrect for your needs... EBAY.

BTW... I don't understand how anyone can imply that ebay fosters greed. EBAY is truly a beautiful thing... natural laws like supply and demand in full play. Now... if we could just do something about Darwin...

:)

Here is a surround repair kit

The kit is only $30 and includes the surrounds, new dust caps, shims to make sure everything stays in alignment while you are attaching the new foam, glue, and detailed instructions with pictures.

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=260-982

I have seen JBL woofers repaired incorrectly by repair shops who should know better. The foam surround on the 15" JBL woofers attaches to the back of the cone, not the front. Don't let anyone try to tell you that it doesn't make any difference, because it does. If it is mounted incorrectly the speakers will not only lose collector value but the voice coil will not be properly centered and you will lose a portion of linear travel.

You owe it to yourself to give the L300 a serious listen before you sell or part them out. No 6 1/2" woofer 2-way, regardless of what the dealer or manufacturer tries to tell you can match the dynamics and effortlessness of a JBL 15" woofer.

If you have an early model with Alnico woofer magnets, then your L300's will be inherently video shielded. Any if you purchase an LCD or Plasma TV in the future, you don't even need to worry about shielding. If you sell the L300's, you are going to kick yourself in the future. Just take a look at how few speakers made today have real wood veneer on them. The other great thing about JBL speakers, is that you can still buy the parts to repair them. Try to find replacement parts from any other speaker that is even 5 years old, let alone a speaker company that is even in business for 50 years. JJBL took pride in the speakers they manufactured in the past, and it any of their current systems that still have real wood veneer enclosures.

There will always be a market for vintage JBL speakers in Japan. If you take care of them they will continue to hold their value, and likely appreciate. Take a look at how much a pair of vintage JBL Paragons or Hartsfields sell for. If it helps think of them as a retirement investment. If you need to, put them in storage in a safe dry place for a while. Maybe you will have a bigger living room some time in the future.

Then if you need to sell them, please try the JBL enthusiasts site here first so that you know they will go to a good home. http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=5

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.